ADVERTISEMENT

Optimism for Rhule is Warranted

What stands out to me most about Rhule’s hire is that we finally had an AD study what led to success in the Big 10, work with inside knowledge of what made us successful before, and then go find a guy who could fulfill those visions. It is our first merit-based, top choice hire who wants to restore our identity. Contrast that to the visionless, identity-less, reactionary past changes with ADs:

Solich: Recruiting is mediocre. Get an NFL guy and sell that!

Callahan: The defense sucks and is wimpy! Bring in a hard ass defense guy!

Pelini: My god! He is crazy and no one likes him! Get a nice guy!

Riley: My god! What have we done?! He just sucks! We need a Nebraska guy!

Frost: Well…that was a disaster! Let’s double down! He’s a Nebraska guy!

Frost (again): Shit! He still sucks! What now?

You know, ShortSideOption made a post a year or two ago, and I forget where, that made the argument that our institutional alignment has been gone since TO. He gave some great examples of how things have changed for the better and worse over the years from Solich through Riley and Frost. This is probably the first time since Devaney/TO that admin and the coaching staff have the same goals and are pulling in the same direction.

So I look at Rhule and I see a guy that has a plan and is looking for alignment in what he needs to win and how he is seeking alignment. Right now, I just look at how they are circling the 500 mile radius wagons and visiting school after school. That is alignment. Get people on board with your vision, make personal connections with staff and coaches. That is all we have to look at right now. In a month or so, we'll see what the recruits look like and what is alignment is there. Then spring ball, etc.

So, I know everyone is "wait and see". I choose to "wait and see" with a positive spin on things until proven otherwise. I think it will just be better for my mental health to trust Rhule and his process until we see some games. But I understand people that might "wait and see" and nitpick everything. Especially if they didn't really think Rhule was the best guy for the job.

What stands out to me most about Rhule’s hire is that we finally had an AD study what led to success in the Big 10, work with inside knowledge of what made us successful before, and then go find a guy who could fulfill those visions. It is our first merit-based, top choice hire who wants to restore our identity. Contrast that to the visionless, identity-less, reactionary past changes with ADs:

Enter Rhule. He and Trev obviously want to reestablish our identity and line of scrimmage dominance. He is excellent at finding and developing players. He is second to none at establishing relationships with high school coaches, which helps both scouting and recruiting. Players love his family-like atmospheres and speak highly of him. He develops and utilizes walk ons. He adapts his offenses to the players he has.

We are finally returning to our identity. The old Nebraska was actually what was suited for the Big 10, not all the fake identities we have tried to assume since then.

I know everyone is beaten down by the misery of the last two decades. However, I think Rhule was just what we needed, and optimism is warranted.
Frost had a vision when he came. His vision was unrealistic. He found out that the B1G isn't the AAC.

Maybe and I hope you are right. BUT I'm going to reserve judgment and optimism until results are proven on the field. Yes, I admit it, Frost ruined my optimism about Nebraska football with his spectacular flame out. So show me the results.
There is a piece of me that wonders if anyone can turn around this program... but when I see other local programs having varing degrees of success like KSU, KU, Iowa, and Iowa State, it seems like it should still be possible with the right people in leadership positons.

Frost had a vision when he came. His vision was unrealistic. He found out that the B1G isn't the AAC.

I don't think he did. He talked about blending Oregon speed and Nebraska power and never settled on anything. We went fast and then changed and went slow. We had zone-blocking schemes and then changed to power. We were a running team and then changed to a passing team. We were aggressive on defense and then changed to bend and don't break.

I felt cautious optimism about Solich, Callahan, and Pelini. Frost I was admittedly excited about and his disaster surprised me.
The curious thing about Frost is that I think if he could have won 6-8 games/yr, he may have recruited well enough to get some momentum and improve from there. But he couldn't even get to that level.

Reactions: moralvictories

Enter Rhule. He and Trev obviously want to reestablish our identity and line of scrimmage dominance. He is excellent at finding and developing players. He is second to none at establishing relationships with high school coaches, which helps both scouting and recruiting. Players love his family-like atmospheres and speak highly of him. He develops and utilizes walk ons. He adapts his offenses to the players he has.

We are finally returning to our identity. The old Nebraska was actually what was suited for the Big 10, not all the fake identities we have tried to assume since then.

I know everyone is beaten down by the misery of the last two decades. However, I think Rhule was just what we needed, and optimism is warranted.
To be fair, with Pelini it was more than just him being a jerk. It was that he was a jerk in addition to getting boatraced in big games. And his defenses were not suited, personnel-wise or scheme-wise, to deal with the B1G. And he didn't care about recruiting.

No f'n way man, have you seen what Deion is doing? However, I do appreciate the unending lengthy opinions pieces, especially when nobody knows anything.

Ok, so what was Frost's vision? How did he align the program, staff, recruiting, practices, etc around that vision? What was his process? How did he measure success and correct course? I don't think Frost had a clue or any kind of vision. He was an X's and O's guy and had a set offensive style and defensive style that he thought was the key.

Reactions: RedMyMind

Well said.

Ok, so what was Frost's vision? How did he align the program, staff, recruiting, practices, etc around that vision? What was his process? How did he measure success and correct course? I don't think Frost had a clue or any kind of vision. He was an X's and O's guy and had a set offensive style and defensive style that he thought was the key.
His vision was that his offense would be so successful, that the B1G would have to adjust to it.

if riley and frost were outstanding recruiters, frost would probably still be coach seeing he only needed 7 or less points in most games to win.

I choose to "wait and see" with a positive spin on things until proven otherwise. I think it will just be better for my mental health to trust Rhule and his process until we see some games
cheers-amen.gif

The thing I like most about Rhule is the seeming emphasis on line play. The SEC is the dominant conference because their lines are flat out better. The B1G is right behind them.

I personally like watching the PAC12 and BigXII because it's exciting football. However, those teams would struggle facing top lines every week.

If our lines on both sides of the ball get up to snuff, we will at least have a chance. Rhule can make that happen.

Most NFL coaches don’t control their roster. Carolina’s #1 problem was their GM and hence the QB situation.
Nothing is ever Matt’s fault is it? Ps you might want to find out what happened in CAR before you assume. Matt’s addressed this and doesn’t pass blame and actually stated HE was waiting for the right QB and he just flat out missed on Mac & Justin. PS he had 2 GMs, so both times it was their fault. LOL

Also you might want to look who the redskins had at QB. Not exactly the Goat in Washington and they won the NFC bEAST year 1 and likely going to the playoffs this year. Very similar situation at QB.

Your so in “make excuse mode” that you don’t even know the truth you just pass blame on everyone and everything else. My problem isn’t and never has been when coach Rhule. It’s with you BS fans that BS about everything. Everything because it’s better than reality

The one thing I actually love about Coach Rhule is he “man’s up”. About time others learn and stop blaming everything else

And by the way, QB wasn’t their only problem. Their major problem is the built an offense around CMC and the problem with that was they over worked him. If you actually watched the Panthers you might actually know that they started off 3-0 last year and looked real good. Even Sam Darnold was looking good. But CMC went down and so did their offense.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: BleedRed78
Nothing is ever Matt’s fault is it? Ps you might want to find out what happened in CAR before you assume. Matt’s addressed this and doesn’t pass blame and actually stated HE was waiting for the right QB and he just flat out missed on Mac & Justin. PS he had 2 GMs, so both times it was their fault. LOL

Also you might want to look who the redskins had at QB. Not exactly the Goat in Washington and they won the NFC bEAST year 1 and likely going to the playoffs this year. Very similar situation at QB.

Your so in “make excuse mode” that you don’t even know the truth you just pass blame on everyone and everything else. My problem isn’t and never has been when coach Rhule. It’s with you BS fans that BS about everything. Everything because it’s better than reality

The one thing I actually love about Coach Rhule is he “man’s up”. About time others learn and stop blaming everything else

And by the way, QB wasn’t their only problem. Their major problem is the built an offense around CMC and the problem with that was they over worked him. If you actually watched the Panthers you might actually know that they started off 3-0 last year looking good. Even Sam Darnold was looking good. But CMC went down and so did their offense.
I wanted my Vikings to keep Heineke when they had him. Theres a reason Washington has kept him as their starter over Wentz. Are you such an insufferably negative person in your real life?

Reactions: BleedRed78
ADVERTISEMENT