ADVERTISEMENT

Rhule turned Baylor around?

Incorrect. Getting blasted by Wisconsin & Ohio State and beat up by Minnesota was not keeping him here much longer.
I’m not so sure about that. He still had a lot of support from TO and his minions. You must have forgotten the sh##storm when his firing was announced. The decision makers who wanted him gone were not football people

There’s no need to get emotional about it all over again. We both want Rhule to be a good coach, and honesty is important in all aspects

I did some more homework for you, they had 71 players on scholarship in 2016, 17 left for NFL/graduated, then a total of 9 players transferred/decommit, putting them at 45. Walk-ons being awarded scholarships, the 18 players recruited and a couple transfers had them back at 85 by the beginning of the season.

You’re putting a lot of weight into the 1 commit (kids who were 16-17 at the time) which seems like a knee jerk.

It’s more to overcome than a typical job, but it’s definitely not even close to SMU-post death penalty.

Those are just the facts, an adult rebuttal is welcome but you can miss me on the hysterical crying.
It’s very easy to say “you’re right, I was wrong”. People respect that, especially in as plain as day circumstance as this

Instead you just ramble on like a dipshit

Sad

I really don't know what this means. We fired a guy that went 3-9 in his 4th year. I think a new coach can come in and make us better, like Bowl eligible, the first year. But building a good team will take time.
I believe it only takes 2 years on avg for a good coach to win a national title at his new home

This is untrue pj fleck rhetoric you’re spouting

• Haha
Reactions: BleedRed78
It’s very easy to say “you’re right, I was wrong”. People respect that, especially in as plain as day circumstance as this

Instead you just ramble on like a dipshit

Sad
Oh you've done it now....he's gonna call you a boomer

• Haha
Reactions: headcard
We don't need another 3-9 first year coach. We just fired one. We need a winner first year. Tired of all the excuses.
It will be EASY for any good coach to immediately take Huskers from 3 win seasons to 6 win seasons at least. For God's sakes, we're not that far from being a middle-of-the-road big 10 team. Now, to go to a consistent 10-to-11 seasons, thats gonna be almost impossible

I believe it only takes 2 years on avg for a good coach to win a national title at his new home

This is untrue pj fleck rhetoric you’re spouting

No. Good coaches come in and make teams better. But I do agree, somewhat. I believe it has been shown that by year 3 we will know if he is going to be a consistent winner here or not.

they say trev talks to the press tonight, the first time in a month, so that could shine more light.
expecially with mickey saying he would stick around at nebraska, even if not hc...yesterday
but I think the day after the iowa game would be the best time to announce what the deal is

He’ll be the 3rd or 4th choice, but our number 1 all along 🤪. Deon, Kiffin, they’d never come here when you can recruit in your backyard. Hate to say Rhule it’ll be.
I think the sec would be alot harder to win in, then the big ...
I know deon could recruit, but can he coach like saben, curby, etc?
is kiffen gonna be able to rise in the sec west?

to me, if you can recruit, Nebraska is the best job....top facilites, fans, big money, easier big west, clean water, no cali libs, and your kids won't get shot walking to school.

This is how some rival teams see Rhule:

"Lots of buzz that Nebraska’s next HC is going to be Matt Ruhle. He has a career record of 47-43 as a college HC with 1-2 bowl record and was 11-27 in the NFL with the Panthers and fired after game 5 this year."

"Lots of buzz that Nebraska’s next HC is going to be Matt Ruhle. He has a career record of 47-43 as a college HC with 1-2 bowl record and was 11-27 in the NFL with the Panthers and fired after game 5 this year."
Doesn’t exactly scream “sure thing”

Reactions: beaglehusker
Nebraska has everything a coach like Rhule could want. Massive stadium and fan support. Even though the tremendous history of the program does not register with 17 year olds, what will register with the 17 year olds is the money Nebraska can put up (I think) for the NIL, which is what it will take to bring in both a name coach and the top recruits he is going to need to satisfy the expectations of the fans. Unlike Waco, the recruits are not within a three hour drive from Lincoln. But for enough money...they will come.
Isn’t that what any coach would want? Why would only a “coach like Rhule“ want all that.

More like that is what they will try to tell themselves to sleep better. Everyone knows about him turning around Baylor and Temple, that's why NFL teams were after him. If they want to use his poor records his first year at Temple and Baylor to feel better, I guess they can but deep down they probably know better.

So wait.... Let me get this straight. Rhule is now not interested and Urban is? But we have boosters that say no? These rumors are ridiculous. Gonna be a long couple of weeks
We need urban Meyer to be interested. He's truly one of the very few sure-things. The other is the former Ole Miss coach

We don't need another 3-9 first year coach. We just fired one. We need a winner first year. Tired of all the excuses.
If we are being honest, Nebraska is not a 3-9 team. There is no way, with even moderately competent coaching, that we should have lost to Northwestern or Georgia Southern. We should have, at the very least been a 5-7 team this year. We lose absolutely nobody to graduation and unless the Transfer Portal is unkind to us, the 12 seniors that leave will be addition by subtraction. Any competent head coach, with anything other than a staff filled with drinking buddies and JV coaches should be able to have this team bowling his first year.

Matt Rhule, whether you like him or not, if he's hired, will have success here. Will he challenge for conference championships? That is the question.

Matt Rhule, whether you like him or not, if he's hired, will have success here. Will he challenge for conference championships? That is the question.
I disagree

if he doesn't challenge for conference championships, then he will not have had success here

I really don't know what this means. We fired a guy that went 3-9 in his 4th year. I think a new coach can come in and make us better, like Bowl eligible, the first year. But building a good team will take time.
It means some people are dense. The guy hasn't coached a down for us yet. Nobody has a argument as to why the NFL wanted him . I will take him over what we had, lets just start there.

Similar story at Temple, as both of the coaches before him (Al Golden and Steve Addazio) were able to achieve 9 win seasons.

Matt Rhule is a good coach, and he’ll have us close to Pelini levels of success, but he’s not the miracle worker many have made him out to
Are people here going to be happy the next two years if Rhule is hired? At Temple and Baylor, he was not winning much until the 3rd year. I feel like hiring Rhule will be just an "OK" hire. I have a lukewarm response to Rhule, but at this point I honestly don't know who a great hire would be. I think every situation is unique and nothing is a slam dunk.

Last edited:
Reactions: thall_
Nobody has really mentioned the ability to grab top-notch assistants…which of a lot of the candidates mentioned, Rhule gives us an incredible shot. Due to his buyout, we can backload his contract and dedicate millions more to assistants in his first years as head coach.

Yes our previous head coach was an idiot, but there haven’t been many assistants over the past 5 to 10 years that have been anywhere worth what we have paid them. Go find the best assistants and strength coaches in the country and things will turn around fast

Nobody has really mentioned the ability to grab top-notch assistants…which of a lot of the candidates mentioned, Rhule gives us an incredible shot. Due to his buyout, we can backload his contract and dedicate millions more to assistants in his first years as head coach.

Yes our previous head coach was an idiot, but there haven’t been many assistants over the past 5 to 10 years that have been anywhere worth what we have paid them. Go find the best assistants and strength coaches in the country and things will turn around fast
Rhule's had a couple of guys that have been with him through all his last stops. Probably keep those guys if he come here.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Are people here going to be happy the next two years if Rhule is hired? At Boston College and Baylor, he was not winning much until the 3rd year. I feel like hiring Rhule will be just an "OK" hire. I have a lukewarm response to Rhule, but at this point I honestly don't know who a great hire would be. I think every situation is unique and nothing is a slam dunk.
BC? You mean Temple??

Reactions: Wasker77
If we are being honest, Nebraska is not a 3-9 team. There is no way, with even moderately competent coaching, that we should have lost to Northwestern or Georgia Southern. We should have, at the very least been a 5-7 team this year. We lose absolutely nobody to graduation and unless the Transfer Portal is unkind to us, the 12 seniors that leave will be addition by subtraction. Any competent head coach, with anything other than a staff filled with drinking buddies and JV coaches should be able to have this team bowling his first year.

We easily had enough talent to win 6-7 with our schedule. Injuries at linebacker and to CT have hurt but the talent was there to easily beat Georgia Southern and Northwestern. Then you would expect to have won 1-2 of the games that should have been toss ups.

Agree with most but remember Nebraska was one of the few schools who didn't count the covid year towards eligibility when showing class. Most guys are seniors but aren't listed like other schools. Bowl game shouldn't have been hard this year. 7-5 is what we should have finished imo

Last edited:
Agree with most but remember Nebraska was one of the few schools who didn't count the covid year towards eligibility. Most guys are seniors but aren't listed like other schools. Bowl game shouldn't have been hard this year. 7-5 is what we should have finished imo
what?

no school counted covid towards eligibility. not a single one. the NCAA granted a blanket waiver to all players.

what?

no school counted covid towards eligibility. not a single one. the NCAA granted a blanket waiver to all players.
As in how they show their "class" Ex....we show Garret Nelson as a Jr - almost all other schools would show him as a SR. That's why some are like wow Nebraska is young...when we actually aren't. Same with Thompson, Grant, Mathis etc.

As in how they show their "class" Ex....we show Garret Nelson as a Jr - almost all other schools would show him as a SR. That's why some are like wow Nebraska is young...when we actually aren't. Same with Thompson, Grant, Mathis etc.
what did kst list AM as?

post-graduate?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT