ADVERTISEMENT

Rhule turned Baylor around?

Similar story at Temple, as both of the coaches before him (Al Golden and Steve Addazio) were able to achieve 9 win seasons.

Matt Rhule is a good coach, and he’ll have us close to Pelini levels of success, but he’s not the miracle worker many have made him out to be.

Last edited:
Sex scandal or not, Baylor was 11-2, 11-2, 10-3, and 7-6 in the 4 previous seasons before Rhule (when he won 1 game his first year). I'm not quite sure what he "built up". Then he bolted 2 years later. Not a fan of the hire. (if reports are true).
Because of the sex scandal something like 45 scholarship players went elsewhere, leading to 1 win in his first season. The 11 win season was with his own players. A little research goes a long way.

Similar story at Temple, as both of the coaches before him (Al Golden and Steve Addazio) were able to achieve 9 win seasons.

Matt Rhule is a good coach, and he’ll have us close to Pelini levels of success, but he’s the the miracle worker many have made him out to be.
If pelini maintained “pelini levels” of success without the histrionics he’d still be here

Because of the sex scandal something like 45 scholarship players went elsewhere, leading to 1 win in his first season. The 11 win season was with his own players. A little research goes a long way.
Most of the starters on his 2019 team were not his players.

• Haha
Reactions: headcard
Sex scandal or not, Baylor was 11-2, 11-2, 10-3, and 7-6 in the 4 previous seasons before Rhule (when he won 1 game his first year). I'm not quite sure what he "built up". Then he bolted 2 years later. Not a fan of the hire. (if reports are true).

How can you just say something like “sex scandal or not”. That program was destroyed by that scandal. They had 45 scholarship players and 1 commit when he took over and Ruhle completely salvaged it.

Shouldn’t you be over on the Iowa board?
I'm not saying he's a bad coach. We could do much worse. I'm just stating some facts about him that I never looked at before. I'm not completely sold on the guy at this time and think there were some better coaches out there that were attainable. This program has been burned so many times, i tread lightly.

Nebraska has everything a coach like Rhule could want. Massive stadium and fan support. Even though the tremendous history of the program does not register with 17 year olds, what will register with the 17 year olds is the money Nebraska can put up (I think) for the NIL, which is what it will take to bring in both a name coach and the top recruits he is going to need to satisfy the expectations of the fans. Unlike Waco, the recruits are not within a three hour drive from Lincoln. But for enough money...they will come.

When Rhule took over, Baylor was in every bit as bad of shape as Penn State was -- and probably even worse -- than PSU was when their scandal broke out. Minus PSU's pedigree.

I don't think Rhule walks on water but would be a great hire for us.

I'm not sure what his motivation would be to get back into coaching right away, though.

When Rhule took over, Baylor was in every bit as bad of shape as Penn State was when PSU's scandal broke out. Minus PSU's pedigree.

I don't think Rhule walks on water but would be a great hire for us.

I'm not sure what his motivation would be to get back into coaching right away, though.
He had a good friend or friends who will need jobs when Carolina hires their new head coach. Guys like him don’t like to sit at home watching football. His whole identity is tied to coaching

How can you just say something like “sex scandal or not”. That program was destroyed by that scandal. They had 45 scholarship players and 1 commit when he took over and Ruhle completely salvaged it.
so what exactly is your source as well as implied ramifications? per 247 they had 18 commits in 2016 and you’re claiming 1. for reference, Clemson had 21 that year. it also appears they had over 70 players on scholarship for 2016

how many starters did they have transfer out? Looking at their depth chart it looks like on offense they kept their QB, RB, 3 of their OL and 2 of their WR’s so I’m not seeing this mass exodus you’re claiming.

Baylor was set to have their best recruiting class ever under Briles last year, and the decommits put them back in the 40 range, which was pretty typical for Baylor anyway

Reactions: Chuck003
so what exactly is your source as well as implied ramifications? per 247 they had 18 commits in 2016 and you’re claiming 1. for reference, Clemson had 21 that year. it also appears they had over 70 players on scholarship for 2016

how many starters did they have transfer out? Looking at their depth chart it looks like on offense they kept their QB, RB, 3 of their OL and 2 of their WR’s so I’m not seeing this mass exodus you’re claiming.

Baylor was set to have their best recruiting class ever under Briles last year, and the decommits put them back in the 40 range, which was pretty typical for Baylor anyway

It’s pretty common knowledge.

From the ESPN Article:
“When Rhule arrived, the roster was gutted. There were only 45 scholarship players on the team, with the attrition due to a combination of outgoing seniors, early draft entries, transfers, and 2016 recruits who asked out of their letters of intent. The 2017 recruiting class had only one verbal commitment at the time of Rhule's hiring.”

But feel free to keep on with this bizarre witch-hunt.

I'll support it if true but feels like Cally 2.0. Don't like the hire. I'm sure I'm wrong

It’s pretty common knowledge.

From the ESPN Article:
“When Rhule arrived, the roster was gutted. There were only 45 scholarship players on the team, with the attrition due to a combination of outgoing seniors, early draft entries, transfers, and 2016 recruits who asked out of their letters of intent. The 2017 recruiting class had only one verbal commitment at the time of Rhule's hiring.”

But feel free to keep on with this bizarre witch-hunt.
There’s no need to get emotional about it all over again. We both want Rhule to be a good coach, and honesty is important in all aspects

I did some more homework for you, they had 71 players on scholarship in 2016, 17 left for NFL/graduated, then a total of 9 players transferred/decommit, putting them at 45. Walk-ons being awarded scholarships, the 18 players recruited and a couple transfers had them back at 85 by the beginning of the season.

You’re putting a lot of weight into the 1 commit (kids who were 16-17 at the time) which seems like a knee jerk.

It’s more to overcome than a typical job, but it’s definitely not even close to SMU-post death penalty.

Those are just the facts, an adult rebuttal is welcome but you can miss me on the hysterical crying.

Reactions: Chuck003
There’s no need to get emotional about it all over again. We both want Rhule to be a good coach, and honesty is important in all aspects

I did some more homework for you, they had 71 players on scholarship in 2016, 17 left for NFL/graduated, then a total of 9 players transferred/decommit, putting them at 45. Walk-ons being awarded scholarships, the 18 players recruited and a couple transfers had them back at 85 by the beginning of the season.

You’re putting a lot of weight into the 1 commit (kids who were 16-17 at the time) which seems like a knee jerk.

It’s more to overcome than a typical job, but it’s definitely not even close to SMU-post death penalty.

Those are just the facts, an adult rebuttal is welcome but you can miss me on the hysterical crying.

I literally gave you the facts, even an article that spelled it out for you. Since you seemed to disagree. I cannot hold your hand any more than that. Your illogical and bizarre witch hunt is just stupid and pathetic, and yes extremely over emotional.

Those are facts, that's fair. But you gotta admit - that'd be like going from being the Ohio State of the Big 12 (relatively speaking with offensive domination in mind) to current Nebraska. I think that's what Headcard and the article itself is getting at.

That's approximately a 6-8 game drop in the win column. It was severe but yeah - definitely not SMU death penalty (terrible btw).

Reactions: thall_
Those are facts, that's fair. But you gotta admit - that'd be like going from being the Ohio State of the Big 12 (relatively speaking with offensive domination in mind) to current Nebraska. I think that's what Headcard and the article itself is getting at.

That's approximately a 6-8 game drop in the win column. It was severe but yeah - definitely not SMU death penalty (terrible btw).

I love how the narrative has changed form he took over a terrific winning program and the sex scandal stuff doesn’t matter. To “it wasn’t SMU death penalty bad”. Classic.

Reactions: GretnaShawn
I literally gave you the facts, even an article that spelled it out for you. Since you seemed to disagree. I cannot hold your hand any more than that. Your illogical and bizarre witch hunt is just stupid and pathetic, and yes extremely over emotional.
you quoted one line and got pissy when I added factual context, now you have some weird persecution complex. the fact you're calling it a witch hunt just because I don't think he's Nick Saban is actually quite cringe. control your emotions, bud. you're a grown man

thank you for the reasonable response.

I think my worry about Rhule is that of the last 3 Baylor head coaches, he's the only one that didn't win the conference. that leads me to believe that being in the middle of a recruiting hotbed grants advantages that Nebraska won't immediately have.

this video does a great job at outlining the concerns:

He had a good friend or friends who will need jobs when Carolina hires their new head coach. Guys like him don’t like to sit at home watching football. His whole identity is tied to coaching
Rhule's dad was a high school football coach and preacher. Matt was a walk on at Penn State so he has B1G experience. Has a Master's in Educational Psychology. (TO's Doctorate is in that.) Has coached Defensive line and linebackers, Been a special teams coordinator, offensive coordinator, recruiting coordinator, group of 5 head coach, power 5 head coach, NFL head coach. 3 double digit win seasons. Matt also is a man of faith and if you know anything about Trev Alberts, it's that faith is very important to him. I'm sure he and Trev would get along well. I think Matt Rhule is about as good as we could have hoped for. I was expecting Lance Leipold and honestly would be plenty happy if they hired him instead. I dont know how it will work out. My guess is we would fare pretty well during the Rule of Rhule.

You're a very sensitive kid.

you quoted one line and got pissy when I added factual context, now you have some weird persecution complex. the fact you're calling it a witch hunt just because I don't think he's Nick Saban is actually quite cringe. control your emotions, bud. you're a grown man

thank you for the reasonable response.

I think my worry about Rhule is that of the last 3 Baylor head coaches, he's the only one that didn't win the conference. that leads me to believe that being in the middle of a recruiting hotbed grants advantages that Nebraska won't immediately have.

this video does a great job at outlining the concerns:

I quoted one line to show you the scholarship numbers I mentioned were true, which you tried to deny. You haven’t added context at all, in fact, you have done exactly the opposite when simply pointing out the W/L record of Briles and ignoring the mess he left Baylor in.
You went from Baylor was in a great spot when he took over, to it wasn’t SMU bad. And now from he’s a terrible coach to, he’s no Saban.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT