ADVERTISEMENT

Rhule initially hesitant

Reservations? Then screw him. I love my track record over the last 7 years and I stand by it now. Good luck hunting for a new coach in 3 years. Shanle is onto somethinhg. Anyone that does not have "that empty feeling" is fooling themselves. Could we have done worse? Yes, however another .500 coach is not getting my rocks off. But trust in Trev? Cool. Whatever.
I wanted to restore the program and the only one available for that was Urban so that was my top choice. Plenty of the fan base were bitching about that possibility. If not him then I wanted Fleck because he's a trench guy who develops and works. Didn't get him but I got a trench guy who develops and works. so I'm happy. Even though there's always a chance this won't work out

I wanted to restore the program and the only one available for that was Urban so that was my top choice. Plenty of the fan base were bitching about that possibility. If not him then I wanted Fleck because he's a trench guy who develops and works. Didn't get him but I got a trench guy who develops and works. so I'm happy. Even though there's always a chance this won't work out
That’s reasonable but Fleck would have caused a s### storm. I think we got a really good fit. Period.

Reactions: headcard
I actually do know that. If it wasn't Rhule, it was going to be Monken.
You don’t know that. You’ve heard that from people who think they know. My guy in Lincoln with connections in the AD’s office insisted it was going to be Mickey until the last 2 weeks. You didn’t “know”. Some people are going to say they know what the deal was but they’re guessing. The whole deal pointed to Rhule from day one and there was NEVER any smoke about Monken.

I see where this is coming from. Bet a lot of NFL coaches side eyed Nick Saban going back to college too. College and NFL are completely different.
Well we know Shanle wanted Micky Joseph and just because he's an ex NFL player by no means makes him an expert on running a program. Bottom line, we shall see if we can get the car out of this ditch we've been in since Frost took over. *I didn't mean to respond to your post hit the wrong post to respond to, sorry.*

Reactions: Hford
Reservations? Then screw him. I love my track record over the last 7 years and I stand by it now. Good luck hunting for a new coach in 3 years. Shanle is onto somethinhg. Anyone that does not have "that empty feeling" is fooling themselves. Could we have done worse? Yes, however another .500 coach is not getting my rocks off. But trust in Trev? Cool. Whatever.
I don't trust Trev

• Haha
Reactions: HuskersNC
NFL coaches look down on college coaches even though it takes a different skill set to be successful at each level. Pete Carroll is one of the few guys to be successful at both.
Also Jimmy Johnson.

You don’t know that. You’ve heard that from people who think they know. My guy in Lincoln with connections in the AD’s office insisted it was going to be Mickey until the last 2 weeks. You didn’t “know”. Some people are going to say they know what the deal was but they’re guessing. The whole deal pointed to Rhule from day one and there was NEVER any smoke about Monken.
Accurate. Mickey was wishful thinking by well-meaning fans, but completely unrealistic and a disaster waiting to happen. Heck, Trev told us what characteristics he was looking for. Take him at his word.

Accurate. Mickey was wishful thinking by well-meaning fans, but completely unrealistic and a disaster waiting to happen. Heck, Trev told us what characteristics he was looking for. Take him at his word.
I think Mickey could have been successful but IMO there would have been some excruciating growing pains as evidenced by his clock management.

I'm hoping Rhule is the college version of Andy Reid. Could pass on that extra quarter pounder, but sure does know football and people and what makes them tick.
Rhule and Bielema at midfield next year.
giphy.gif

Hesitation: probably no different than any job negotiation that will cause you to uproot your family and/or cause a seismic shift in what you’re already doing (in Rhule’s case, sitting back to enjoy the guaranteed money rolling in from Carolina). Doesn’t worry me at all.

NFL eye roll: if this even happened (not doubting the poster, but the source of the tweet), it means nothing. The NFL coaching fraternity is an elitist bunch. I’m sure Carroll, Saban, Spurrier, etc, all elicited the same reaction within those circles at the time they exited.

To me, the bottom line is that Rhule had plenty of options. We didn’t hire a desperate coach. He could have done broadcasting for a year. He could have looked at other openings. He could have sat on the beach and collected a paycheck for doing nothing, waiting to see what other jobs would open up. If he’s here now, it’s because he wants to be at Nebraska. He wants to be part of this rebuild. And whether he was my 1st, 2nd, or 3rd choice, I’m glad to have him.

How much was really Trevs choice and how much play did the big money boosters and the board of regents have in this decision. If Rhule fails they don't care because it's falls on Trev not them. Whoops! We all know this wasn't Trevs 1st choice and it's been a dumpster fire so long not everyone wants to coach here because outside influences won't let them coach. #followthemoney

How much was really Trevs choice and how much play did the big money boosters and the board of regents have in this decision. If Rhule fails they don't care because it's falls on Trev not them. Whoops! We all know this wasn't Trevs 1st choice and it's been a dumpster fire so long not everyone wants to coach here because outside influences won't let them coach. #followthemoney
Peed didn’t follow Rhule on Twitter until it was pretty obvious to many of us that Trev was nearing a deal with Rhule. I don’t think the boosters had any say in who we hired. I believe they might have been told a deal was imminent but they’re approval wasn’t sought.

That’s reasonable but Fleck would have caused a s### storm. I think we got a really good fit. Period.
I mean I agree but Fleck still would have built the trenches, had tough practices, developed players and ran the ball which is what I wanted. I think Fleck is limited in resources at Minnesota and he's had their first 11 win season since 1904. I understand it would be a shitshow but he is who I wanted. Rhule was still coaching when I said this. I'm just happy that even though I didn't get what I wanted, I'm still happy and can still see the positives. And I have no problem admitting Rhule may have a higher ceiling here than Fleck would. We will see.

• Haha
I believe it. In our echo chamber, we believe Nebraska is a highly respected program. Walk outside the state, and we are a “has been” that won championships in the days of old. Go back and watch the grainy “non HD” videos of the last time we had success. The world has changed a lot.

That being said, this coach could bring Nebraska back into relevance and the respect will come back much quicker than non-blue blood programs if he can get us playing as a top 10 team again. We have seen many blue bloods go through droughts, only to come back and regain prestige again (Bama, Michigan, USC…). The difference is, Nebraska has been on a more lengthy drought than most any of them ever had and until we can get back, most are going to assume we were a blip in time where the stars all aligned.
Blue blood programs don’t produce 6 losing seasons in a row

Hopefully Mickey sticks around but Rhule by far is a better HEAD coach. Mickey knows that. The rumbles about game and clock management would have become a deafening roar next year.

He botched it again at the end of the 1h on Friday.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I think Mickey could have been successful but IMO there would have been some excruciating growing pains as evidenced by his clock management.
I've been saying I'm going to be on board for whoever the new HC is, and I plan to stick to that.
This whole program is due for a makeover. Hopefully, Rhule will hire some high-quality Coordinators and position coaches AND a proven S & C coach, who will be about as important as anyone he hires.

If NU lets the NIL money flow and they can bring in some good players from the portal and the JUCOs, the pieces needed to be added are not as many as we think to begin to turn the corner.

After having been plagued with OLs and DLs of overweight, out-of-condition, slow-moving, and non-aggressive big bodies, it's possible a physical transformation can begin before Spring ball. You look at the physical bodies of these big people at NU, and most are a bunch of fat asses that can't move. Combine that with their lack of aggression and it spells lousy production.

After EVERY defensive snap, he's in on, you can see Nash pull his jersey down over his gut. He's a big dude who probably carries 20-30- pounds of slob on him. Robinson is one of the slowest DLs that NU has had in a long time. His reaction time/change of direction is non-existent. I'm hoping to see a physical transformation from these types before fall practice next year.

I find it interesting, and completely normal, for Rhule to have offered that 6'1" DB just in the last day or so. Rhules M.O. has been going after taller DBs and this leans that way. Makes me wonder where the smaller guys like Hartzog and Buford fit into Rhule's future plans.

Rhule has already said, (paraphrasing) that you begin by having elite linemen, and the process has to start somewhere like NU where a new S & C coach can at least trim these dudes down to where they are able to do the things their size might allow them to do.

It will be interesting to see which players go and which stay. I suspect we will see quite a bit of movement over the next couple of months. I do think the decision of Mickey staying or leaving will impact how NU comes out of the gate next season. NU has enough raw material that Mickey has impacted that the loss of him would be felt.

I think we can expect to see some "smaller" OL types being recruited because Rhule does like the smaller guys that can be developed into linemen. So we may see a screeching halt to the 6'6" and taller OLmen in the near future being recruited. Moreso several 6'2"-6'4" 270# type high school and portal type guys.

I think we can turn the page on much of what Frost left the program with. After winning 4-5-3-3-1 wins per year, is it really going to be that much of a shock to see NU win 3-4-5 games next season IF it looks like overall progress in the building of something is beginning to show?

I think, in addition to Rhule, there were several coaches talked about that could have come into NU and begun to make this program overall much, much better. We may as well get ready for some changes because they are going to happen with Alberts and Rhule. We can either piss and moan about it, start to accept it, or just go about our merry way. The PTB have spoken and they care less about what we say or think.

Was your guy Fickell? The word on the street is that Fickell wasn’t taking his 6 kids out of Ohio for any amount of money. I understand that completely.

He doesn’t actually have a guy, he just wants to piss and moan. The only coach or player I have ever seen him support was Chubby Purdy, because of his amazing “body language”. He’s a clown. He uses his wealth of knowledge from his days in the marching band to decide if coaches and players will be successful, based on things like their haircuts and polo shirts. And remember he wanted Rivals to pay him for these insights.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: cubsker
I've been saying I'm going to be on board for whoever the new HC is, and I plan to stick to that.
This whole program is due for a makeover. Hopefully, Rhule will hire some high-quality Coordinators and position coaches AND a proven S & C coach, who will be about as important as anyone he hires.

If NU lets the NIL money flow and they can bring in some good players from the portal and the JUCOs, the pieces needed to be added are not as many as we think to begin to turn the corner.

After having been plagued with OLs and DLs of overweight, out-of-condition, slow-moving, and non-aggressive big bodies, it's possible a physical transformation can begin before Spring ball. You look at the physical bodies of these big people at NU, and most are a bunch of fat asses that can't move. Combine that with their lack of aggression and it spells lousy production.

After EVERY defensive snap, he's in on, you can see Nash pull his jersey down over his gut. He's a big dude who probably carries 20-30- pounds of slob on him. Robinson is one of the slowest DLs that NU has had in a long time. His reaction time/change of direction is non-existent. I'm hoping to see a physical transformation from these types before fall practice next year.

I find it interesting, and completely normal, for Rhule to have offered that 6'1" DB just in the last day or so. Rhules M.O. has been going after taller DBs and this confirms it. Makes me wonder where the smaller guys like Hartzog and Buford fit into Rhule's future plans.

Rhule has already said, (paraphrasing) that you begin by having elite linemen, and the process has to start somewhere like NU where a new S & C coach can at least trim these dudes down to where they are able to do the things their size might allow them to do.

It will be interesting to see which players go and which stay. I suspect we will see quite a bit of movement over the next couple of months. I do think the decision of Mickey staying or leaving will impact how NU comes out of the gate next season. NU has enough raw material that Mickey has impacted that the loss of him would be felt.

I think we can expect to see some "smaller" OL types being recruited because Rhule does like the smaller guys that can be developed into linemen. So we may see a screeching halt to the 6'6" and taller OLmen in the near future being recruited. Moreso several 6'2"-6'4" 270# type high school and portal type guys.

I think we can turn the page on much of what Frost left the program with. After winning 4-5-3-3-1 wins per year, is it really going to be that much of a shock to see NU win 3-4-5 games next season IF it looks like overall progress in the building of something is beginning to show?

I think, in addition to Rhule, there were several coaches talked about that could have come into NU and begun to make this program overall much, much better. We may as well get ready for some changes because they are going to happen with Alberts and Rhule. We can either piss and moan about it, start to accept it, or just go about our merry way. The PTB have spoken and they care less about what we say or think.
We need some meat and potato dudes on the O line to compete in the B1G. I don’t care about their bellies. I care about their feet. Go look at NFL o linemen. They’re almost all big bellied monsters. Just do your job and I don’t care how you look.

Fleck is not that impressive. He's good, but he'll never reach the top of the Big 10. And, weird AF.

He’s not good. He’s just a self promoting weirdo, who has achieved exactly the same results as other Minnesota coaches, as has been shown on this board time and again.

Rhule is actually a good coach, a trench guy that has turned around two programs, Fleck is not, he’s a fraud, who btw underachieved big time this year.

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
My sources tell me he came around after Trev promised to not let the OWH do a stupid cartoon story about the coaching search.

• Haha
I kinda think this is correct....from what I heard. My friend stood pretty firm on Mickey.....until about the last week or so. I think a LOT of those guys with any connections thought that.

It just kind of shows (imo), that TA did one hell of a job keeping the search pretty quiet.

Reactions: dinglefritz
ADVERTISEMENT