ADVERTISEMENT

Rewatching the Northwestern game...

One thing NU has suffered from in the recent years that landed on the D is the frequency of 3 and Outs. No, I don’t have numbers, but in my recollection the offense has jogged off after three plays and left it for the defense to stop the opponent way too often.

An already struggling defense was left to deal with fatigue and depth hasn’t been a strong suit.

I really want to see that turn around. Although, if Frosts attacking offense is successful the defense better be ready to be on the field a lot.
I think others on here have already debunked the myth we cannot play good defense because we have a fast paced offense.

Last year we ran more plays than OSU but lost, the Iowa game they had 73 plays we had 71 if the defense had done its job on the last drive we would have had more plays than them also.

Fatigue is not a factor imo, giving up big plays on 3rd and 4th and long was the problem and imo that is mentality

Last edited:
I think others on here have already debunked the myth we cannot play good defense because we have a fast paced offense.

Last year we ran more plays than OSU but lost, the Iowa game they had 73 plays we had 71 if the defense had done its job on the last drive we would have had more plays than them also.

Fatigue is not a factor imo, giving up big plays on 3rd and 4th and long was the problem and imo that is mentality

Agree to a point.

Seeing the offense score lots of points would have a motivational impact on defenders I would think. On the other hand, being out their for 70+ plays has to take a toll. Depth on D will help negate the fatigue factor. Along with a good punting game to pin opponents deep in their own territory, if the D can get a few turnovers - schools out. Clock management will help too.

In close games I still look at fatigue as a primary enemy of a defense. Fatigue may well have been a big part of surrendering the 3rd and 4th and longs you mention.

Agree to a point.

Seeing the offense score lots of points would have a motivational impact on defenders I would think. On the other hand, being out their for 70+ plays has to take a toll. Depth on D will help negate the fatigue factor. Along with a good punting game to pin opponents deep in their own territory, if the D can get a few turnovers - schools out. Clock management will help too.

In close games I still look at fatigue as a primary enemy of a defense. Fatigue may well have been a big part of surrendering the 3rd and 4th and longs you mention.
I think thats why Ferentz went for it against iowa, their defense was getting gassed ,and we had tied the game and was moving the ball well.
But, our defense was gassed too, it was a close game.
We lost the nw game early on, bad penalties, bad calls, missed fgs, missed xp etc.
We play a cleaner game, they couldnt have caught us.
Now, that still doesnt say alot about our defense, but a win that should have been a win can't be draped on the shoulders of the D alone.

I think thats why Ferentz went for it against iowa, their defense was getting gassed ,and we had tied the game and was moving the ball well.
But, our defense was gassed too, it was a close game.
We lost the nw game early on, bad penalties, bad calls, missed fgs, missed xp etc.
We play a cleaner game, they couldnt have caught us.
Now, that still doesnt say alot about our defense, but a win that should have been a win can't be draped on the shoulders of the D alone.

Iowa didn’t plan to go for it. They lined up with the intention of either taking a delay of game or calling time out and then punting. After lining up they saw that we were basically giving up a first down by playing ten yards off their all American TE and decided to take it.

Ferentz out coached Frost in this instance and Iowa won the game.

Iowa didn’t plan to go for it. They lined up with the intention of either taking a delay of game or calling time out and then punting. After lining up they saw that we were basically giving up a first down by playing ten yards off their all American TE and decided to take it.

Ferentz out coached Frost in this instance and Iowa won the game.
I'll have to rewatch that, as this has been KFs MO lately, after twenty years, he's actually taking chances.

We were not that fast of an offense last year imo.
Partly experience.
Blocking upfield, watching ucf, broke open the speed, we saw some of it, but that blocking will get better, and allow our speed to make bigger plays.
Much of the plays that hurt a D comes out of the backfield first, and our consistency just wasnt quite there.
We get that, those huge plays will open up, then our speed will kill.
We will be faster, and even faster next year, but we still have to set it up first,consistently.

and am reminded how many times Chinander's defense let Frost's offense down last year. That game was a miserably painful example of how a repeatedly bad defense can steal defeat out of the jaws of victory.

Up by 14 with app. 12 minutes left, and then again up by 10 with less than 3 minutes left...and still lost the fricken game!! Grrrr..

Chinander still needs to prove to me that he can be trusted as our DC. He hasn't remotely done so yet.

If you are up by 10 points that means the offense is going to get the ball back once. what we need is an offense that can control the ball and run the clock out in those critical situations

If you are up by 10 points that means the offense is going to get the ball back once. what we need is an offense that can control the ball and run the clock out in those critical situations

Not sure you are ever going to see that with Frost. I think he would rather try and score again than try and run the clock out. JMHO

Reactions: jlb321
Discussing personnel and logic as it pertains to Northwestern is futile. One could honestly argue NW went 8-1 in the Big Ten last season with the worst QB play in the West, the worst running game, the worst kicker, and a below average defense.

They were the 1st Big Ten Division champion ever to give up more yards, first downs, and sacks per game. They were also the first division champion where the starting QB had a 1 to 1 TD to int ratio. And they were the first Power 5 division champion ever to average less than 3.5 yards per carry on the season.
Nebraska has been in the B1G awhile, so I am not sure why this is a surprise. I was at every Northwestern home game and several on the road, and can say this was the worse B1G game Northwestern played all season with the exception of the Meaningless Illinois game. No way we should have won the game, but it seemed like poetic justice for the Westerkamp Hail Mary. Thankfully, you didn’t go for it on 4th and 1. Basically, came out very flat and underestimated Nebraska who was winless at the time.

Thorson was nowhere near the worst QB in the West. Have you seen Illinois, Wisconsin or Minnesota play? The man was on one leg all year because of an ACL tear. Many of his interceptions were “arm punts”. We had no running game at all against you as our stud Jeremy Larkin was forced to medically retire no one was capable of replacing them. The good thing was it forced Fitz to reluctantly remove the shirt on true freshman Isiah Bowser. The running game suddenly returned to at least keep D’s Honest. As far as your comment on a below average D, it is just wrong. It was definitely below average against Nebraska. It has always been a bend don’t break D, yards given up per game or play doesn’t win games, points given up does. Sports reference has NW ranked 6th in the Big D’s last year, at least average under any measure.

This year in Lincoln, Nebraska will probably be double digit favorites. That is ok, what we are used to. Spreads don’t matter in this series, always something weird happening. It is always fun to go to Lincoln. Northwestern is always lucky, never should win, and ref’s favor. You make your own luck. The West is getting better with every program. I don’t see a Wisconsin stretch in the near term. Nebraska could run the table in the West and they could lose to any team in the West not named Illinois. Consistent winning for anyone even Frost is not a given. This will be an interesting season with Nebraska the clear favorite of the pundits to win the West.

Too bad nw and everyone else has to finally face very good coaching from now on when it comes to Nebraska.
Gone are what people think of Nebraska in the Big, and what the Huskers make of themselves going forwards will be the new reality.
Granting great coaching with a few players top of the game, NW has shown its level of ability at an alarming consistency, due to its staff, and players putting themselves in the right positions.
So, this is no time, first time out against a great staff of our own, to make claims that the consistency failed against us, which deep down, NW fans know not to be true, but know theres certain mountains they just cant climb.
Unless NW can follow Nebraska to its new heights, their ceiling will be consistently exposed against the Huskers,which will no longer be enough.

Too bad nw and everyone else has to finally face very good coaching from now on when it comes to Nebraska.
Gone are what people think of Nebraska in the Big, and what the Huskers make of themselves going forwards will be the new reality.
Granting great coaching with a few players top of the game, NW has shown its level of ability at an alarming consistency, due to its staff, and players putting themselves in the right positions.
So, this is no time, first time out against a great staff of our own, to make claims that the consistency failed against us, which deep down, NW fans know not to be true, but know theres certain mountains they just cant climb.
Unless NW can follow Nebraska to its new heights, their ceiling will be consistently exposed against the Huskers,which will no longer be enough.
We will see. Not claiming a Natty, but there is absolutely no reason Northwestern can’t be in the thick of things in the West every single year and occasionally win the B1G. There shouldn’t be any ceilings on any program, and it isn’t the thinking our head coach has on the matter. Nebraska will need to be better than past recent Wisconsin levels if Northwestern gets exposed. Northwestern is the only team in the West that has given Wisconsin a reasonable tussle since they started their ascent. When teams get as dismissive towards Northwestern as you have, is when Northwestern thrives.

No offense Wildcat dude, but 46-31 with a conf record of 30-21 the last 6 years is just a touch above average.

Nebraska going through its worse stretch in history, is 41- 35 overall, 25-26 in conference.

So over 6 years, Northwestern is roughly 1 game better per season than the worst teams in Nebraska history.

Don't get me wrong, Northwestern is what it is, but you have one outright conference title (1995) since 1936.

Good luck in 2019.

We will see. Not claiming a Natty, but there is absolutely no reason Northwestern can’t be in the thick of things in the West every single year and occasionally win the B1G. There shouldn’t be any ceilings on any program, and it isn’t the thinking our head coach has on the matter. Nebraska will need to be better than past recent Wisconsin levels if Northwestern gets exposed. Northwestern is the only team in the West that has given Wisconsin a reasonable tussle since they started their ascent. When teams get as dismissive towards Northwestern as you have, is when Northwestern thrives.

NW is an ok-to-good team. Currently they are lucky that NU is down and Iowa has under-performed when playing them. Pat Fitz is a good good, but the stars aligned for them last year. Yes, they have always played us close, but we are also in a pretty heavy down period. I don't see NW going back to the show anytime soon.

To me NW reminds me of old mizzou, a few talented guys, great coaching, and will scrap til the end, with good years making it close.
NW fans, we are planning on winning the Big, not just get there like west teams have done.
We know who you are, but bigger and faster with systems built to take advantage of bigger and faster usually wins.
NW is an excellent program, but theres things holding you back, just like Stanford, who had some amazing coaches of their own, and out recruits most teams, but has never risen to the top.
There are ceilings

I remember telling my Iowa and Wisconsin buddies during the Big Ten title game that this one is on us. Nebraska/Iowa/Wisky let this happen and that NW probably won't see another title game. They got plenty of breaks to last them the next 10 seasons.

No offense Wildcat dude, but 46-31 with a conf record of 30-21 the last 6 years is just a touch above average.

Nebraska going through its worse stretch in history, is 41- 35 overall, 25-26 in conference.

So over 6 years, Northwestern is roughly 1 game better per season than the worst teams in Nebraska history.

Don't get me wrong, Northwestern is what it is, but you have one outright conference title (1995) since 1936.

Good luck in 2019.

The past is not a predictor of the future. Making predictions about Nebraska or Northwestern University (NU) based on past performance or non-performance doesn't make a lot of sense. Frost might well produce the next Nebraska dynasty, or he might not. You certainly have the tradition and fan base to give him the tools. And your schedule is favorable this year. A lot of years in the West it's just about who gets stuck playing Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State, and who doesn't. Fitz is currently in the process of recruiting what should be his best class ever, and the recruiting bonuses from the new practice facility and a couple of successful B1G seasons are just starting to be realized.

And we did have a couple of co-championships as well as 1995. Maybe you don't count those in Nebraska, but we do. Our fans enjoy playing Nebraska and are usually very complimentary about your fans. Good luck to you this season.

Discussing personnel and logic as it pertains to Northwestern is futile. One could honestly argue NW went 8-1 in the Big Ten last season with the worst QB play in the West, the worst running game, the worst kicker, and a below average defense.

They were the 1st Big Ten Division champion ever to give up more yards, first downs, and sacks per game. They were also the first division champion where the starting QB had a 1 to 1 TD to int ratio. And they were the first Power 5 division champion ever to average less than 3.5 yards per carry on the season.

Actually, Northwestern's run defense was significantly better than average for the past couple of seasons. I'll give Nebraska's QB credit for running the ball well that game. We held B1G opponents on average to about 110 yards a game. Taylor of Wisconsin had under 100 yards on us. We were vulnerable to the pass on occasion as we've had a devastating run of injuries in the secondary in recent years. Of two four-stars we recruited back there recently, one basically hasn't played a down in three years, and another has seen only limited action. We played Ohio State in the title game with only one starter at the four DB positions in the second half after our second-team All-BIG corner went down. Playing a good passing team with your second-string DBs is not a recipe for success. The Cats started the year with our QB hobbled coming off a severe ACL injury and then lost Larkin, our best offensive player, permanently. The emergence of Bowser as a quality B1G running back saved the year. It might have been Fitz's best coaching job, and that's saying something.

The past is not a predictor of the future. Making predictions about Nebraska or Northwestern University (NU) based on past performance or non-performance doesn't make a lot of sense. Frost might well produce the next Nebraska dynasty, or he might not. You certainly have the tradition and fan base to give him the tools. And your schedule is favorable this year. A lot of years in the West it's just about who gets stuck playing Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State, and who doesn't. Fitz is currently in the process of recruiting what should be his best class ever, and the recruiting bonuses from the new practice facility and a couple of successful B1G seasons are just starting to be realized.

And we did have a couple of co-championships as well as 1995. Maybe you don't count those in Nebraska, but we do. Our fans enjoy playing Nebraska and are usually very complimentary about your fans. Good luck to you this season.

Ummmm, okay.

Actually, Northwestern's run defense was significantly better than average for the past couple of seasons. I'll give Nebraska's QB credit for running the ball well that game. We held B1G opponents on average to about 110 yards a game. Taylor of Wisconsin had under 100 yards on us. We were vulnerable to the pass on occasion as we've had a devastating run of injuries in the secondary in recent years. Of two four-stars we recruited back there recently, one basically hasn't played a down in three years, and another has seen only limited action. We played Ohio State in the title game with only one starter at the four DB positions in the second half after our second-team All-BIG corner went down. Playing a good passing team with your second-string DBs is not a recipe for success. The Cats started the year with our QB hobbled coming off a severe ACL injury and then lost Larkin, our best offensive player, permanently. The emergence of Bowser as a quality B1G running back saved the year. It might have been Fitz's best coaching job, and that's saying something.

Luckily with all of those injuries, you had a down Wisconsin and Nebraska with a first year HC and a true freshman QB.

Ummm, okay? What part of my statement is untrue? Are you really a defensive coordinator?
Ha...actually I am...a really bad one but I am one!

But it wasn't about anything in your statement being untrue...it was more about "ummmm, okay...go post that on your Wildcat board"

Ha...actually I am...a really bad one but I am one!

But it wasn't about anything in your statement being untrue...it was more about "ummmm, okay...go post that on your Wildcat board"

OK, didn't think that was anything in that post that should have been particularly offensive to Nebraska fans. I don't spend a lot of time here. We have regular posters from other schools on the Northwestern board, as long as they're not jerks about it. I won't be posting a lot of things on here, and I guess you can just avoid my tag when you see it. Good luck.

Luckily with all of those injuries, you had a down Wisconsin and Nebraska with a first year HC and a true freshman QB.

Well, tell you what. You have to beat whom they put on the field in front of you. If you beat Northwestern this year, I guess it will be because we're having a "down" year — or maybe it will just be because you had a pretty good team.

Well, tell you what. You have to beat whom they put on the field in front of you. If you beat Northwestern this year, I guess it will be because we're having a "down" year — or maybe it will just be because you had a pretty good team.

Don't move the goal posts. To quote you from post #102 what part of my statement was untrue?

Wisconsin was coming off 4 seasons where they won 13, 11, 10, 11 games and in 2018 they won 8. By any measure that is a down year and not based on losing to Northwestern.

Nebraska had a first year coach and a true freshman QB.

Don't move the goal posts. To quote you from post #102 what part of my statement was untrue?

Wisconsin was coming off 4 seasons where they won 13, 11, 10, 11 games and in 2018 they won 8. By any measure that is a down year and not based on losing to Northwestern.

Nebraska had a first year coach and a true freshman QB.

That's right. We had a better team than Wisconsin last year. They had a better team than us the other years. My team isn't "lucky" if your team had a down year. It's incumbent on you to have a better year. We've now been lucky in 15 of our last 18 Big Ten games. So if we're horrible and win 2-3 B1G games this year after winning 7 and 8 league games the past two years, is the rest of the division lucky that Northwestern is down, or did they just do a better job than we did this season? For that matter, as far as the Western Division goes, Wisconsin is probably the only team that has even earned the right to talk about a "down" year over the past few seasons. Down is usually just a synonym for a bad team. Good luck for 2019.

OK, didn't think that was anything in that post that should have been particularly offensive to Nebraska fans. I don't spend a lot of time here. We have regular posters from other schools on the Northwestern board, as long as they're not jerks about it. I won't be posting a lot of things on here, and I guess you can just avoid my tag when you see it. Good luck.

Enjoy your discussion and I like posters from other schools that bring facts to the table...

Last Year NW had some breaks in a few area’s winning the conference.

* Playing Purdue not starting Blough and the first game of the season was huge.

*Nebraska blowing the lead and letting NW get a first down on 3rd and 15 with a personal foul at the one yard line.

* Escaped losing to Rutgers on the Road.

* Iowa choked games against Wisconsin and Penn St..

Northwestern is like Kansas St. in the late 90s and early 2000s. Very good coaching that gets the best out of mediocre talent. They have the same future as Kansas St. too.

Thank you.

That's right. We had a better team than Wisconsin last year. They had a better team than us the other years. My team isn't "lucky" if your team had a down year. It's incumbent on you to have a better year. We've now been lucky in 15 of our last 18 Big Ten games. So if we're horrible and win 2-3 B1G games this year after winning 7 and 8 league games the past two years, is the rest of the division lucky that Northwestern is down, or did they just do a better job than we did this season? For that matter, as far as the Western Division goes, Wisconsin is probably the only team that has even earned the right to talk about a "down" year over the past few seasons. Down is usually just a synonym for a bad team. Good luck for 2019.

Interesting choice of words...

Scott Frost and staff, the only staff to take a non winning team to undefeated in the history of college football.
Leaving Oregon, their offense wasnt the same after he left.
He currently has two qbs on the heisman watch list, and would be three except for Miltons terrible injury.
SF is the real deal.
There are built in limitations at NW, this can't be denied, and Fitz is proof of that, and by that, I mean it as a compliment, if he had more, the trophy case would have to be enlarged.
So, pickings nits with some things our NW friend has said, all true

Scott Frost and staff, the only staff to take a non winning team to undefeated in the history of college football.
He currently has two qbs on the heisman watch list, and would be three except for Miltons terrible injury.
SF is the real deal.
There are built in limitations at NW, this can't be denied, and Fitz is proof of that, and by that, I mean it as a compliment, if he had more, the trophy case would have to be enlarged.
They're the new Kansas St.

SF is the real deal.

Not to bag on Frost because I think he is a great offensive mind. However, the Oregon offense in 2015 was 1300 yards short of the 2014 team. Adams was not the same QB, so the offense dropped. Why wasn't there a QB in place to take over for Mariota?

Who is the 3rd QB that is a Heisman candidate? I am assuming you are talking about Herbert, but he never played a down for Frost. In fact, Frost left before Herbert even signed a NLI.

Again Frost is good enough that we don't have to create shit to make him look better. Just put out the true stats and it is usually good enough to justify what we all believe.

So, SF recruiting Herbert was somebody else's doing?
Yes, he picked Herbert, so, as he picked Milton and AM, one can assume he knows what works.
He created it, you're nitpicking it.
2013 pts scored a game 45.5 14 45.4, 2015 43, without SF 16, 35.4 17, 36 18, 34.8.

Last edited:
So, SF recruiting Herbert was somebody else's doing?
Yes, he picked Herbert, so, as he picked Milton and AM, one can assume he knows what works.
He created it, you're nitpicking it.
2013 pts scored a game 45.5 14 45.4, 2015 43, without SF 16, 35.4 17, 36 18, 34.8.

I'm not nitpicking, He didn't pick Herbert. Herbert was a local kid that picked Oregon because no one else offered because he was hurt in HS. He had 2 FBS offers, 1 to Nevada and 1 to home town Oregon. He picked hometown Oregon. Surprise Surprise!!!!!

I am not sure what you are trying to say in the last sentence, but as I said, the offensive production lessened in 2015 after Mariota left in 2014. Perhaps you should compare 2015 to 2017 and see the difference the Heisman winning QB made. Of course do that after you compare the stats from 2015 to 2016 and the decline there.

I'm not nitpicking, He didn't pick Herbert. Herbert was a local kid that picked Oregon because no one else offered because he was hurt in HS. He had 2 FBS offers, 1 to Nevada and 1 to home town Oregon. He picked hometown Oregon. Surprise Surprise!!!!!

I am not sure what you are trying to say in the last sentence, but as I said, the offensive production lessened in 2015 after Mariota left in 2014. Perhaps you should compare 2015 to 2017 and see the difference the Heisman winning QB made. Of course do that after you compare the stats from 2015 to 2016 and the decline there.
Just looking at results, as in points scored per game.
Yes, they dropped 2 points in 2015, but without SF, they dropped 8-10 points per game.
While a OC wants his qb to do good, bottom line is points, and they're fairly consistent, which, without going into the weeds comparing passing yds vs rushing yards, big plays, yds per play etc, the scoring was relatively stable, no matter who was at qb.
As for Herbert, just like several new Huskers, SF doesnt give up on them, they dont back in, theyre welcomed.
A couple of months ago, I threw for Coach (Mark) Helfrich and (Scott) Frost. They let me know that they were still interested in me and talking to me," Herbert explained. "The past couple of weeks I've been talking to Coach Frost and (Thursday) he wanted me to call Coach Helfrich. Coach Helfrich filled me in with a scholarship."
https://www.oregonlive.com/recruiting/2015/10/justin_herbert_sheldon_quarter.html
This isnt a kid who just backed into a scholarship, just like our RB, and also, possibly Bivens as well, amongst others.
It's how SF does business, he invests in kids that get hurt,while others leave, like osu, he keeps going, like e did with AM.

To make my point more clear, go back 7 years ago, bama at the top,right?
Now, in the 2012 mindset, a team with a defense that was 114th in the country, what would that outcome be playing 2012 bama? Surely not 11 point win,with bama giving up 470 yds.
Times have changed, and great defense is great when it happens, but in todays game, too many teams can break those defenses, and now, you cant win without a great offense, and its going to get more on the offensive side to come.

To make my point more clear, go back 7 years ago, bama at the top,right?
Now, in the 2012 mindset, a team with a defense that was 114th in the country, what would that outcome be playing 2012 bama? Surely not 11 point win,with bama giving up 470 yds.
Times have changed, and great defense is great when it happens, but in todays game, too many teams can break those defenses, and now, you cant win without a great offense, and its going to get more on the offensive side to come.

Put the bottle down. and let's chat tomorrow. I have no idea what the hell you are getting at. Frost OC, Alabama defense, 11 point win, 470 yards allowed, times have changed........need sleep

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT