ADVERTISEMENT

Rewatched 1995 season Fiesta Bowl

Husker.Wed.

Athletic Director
Feb 13, 2004
Omaha Metro
The NC game with #2 Florida. Wow, the game has changed. Florida's first touchdown was caught with the guys foot on the sideline and would have been overturned on replay today. NU consistently mugged FL receivers that would have been called today. Both teams were guilty of at least one outrageous late hit out of bounds that didn't get called (Tommie ended up in the kicker's net on one). And don't get me started on the numerous tackles and blocks that would now be flagged for targeting. I'm not saying changes made for safety are bad, but the game was sure different back then.

If you watched the Nebraska radio network version sold by Huskervision, Kent Pavelka didn't think the hit on Frazier was a penalty. I'll have to watch again.

The NC game with #2 Florida. Wow, the game has changed. Florida's first touchdown was caught with the guys foot on the sideline and would have been overturned on replay today. NU consistently mugged FL receivers that would have been called today. Both teams were guilty of at least one outrageous late hit out of bounds that didn't get called (Tommie ended up in the kicker's net on one). And don't get me started on the numerous tackles and blocks that would now be flagged for targeting. I'm not saying changes made for safety are bad, but the game was sure different back then.
And the players now are bigger and stronger,if they played like that today there would be serious injury.I mean like career ending injuries.

I felt the same way rewatching the 95 OB recently. Costa was getting smacked around nearly every time he tried to pass. Many of those plays would be roughing the passer now. I actually felt sorry for the guy.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
I felt the same way rewatching the 95 OB recently. Costa was getting smacked around nearly every time he tried to pass. Many of those plays would be roughing the passer now. I actually felt sorry for the guy.
Holy sh*t. Frank Costa probably thought he got jumped into a gang by the end of that night. There was one funny moment in the fourth quarter he had got knocked on his ass for about the hundredth time that night. He was laying there on his back and his lineman offered a hand to help him up and Costa whacked it away. He was well done steak by that point.

Just say it. The game was not only better back then but changes to the game for “safety” havent and wont really affect safety at all. People used to have to call the game knowing it was their fault if their Qb got killed.

I used to know a guy who grew up with Costa. He told me Costa didn't get out of bed for a few days after that game. Costa told him he had never been hit as hard and as many times as we did that night.

And the players now are bigger and stronger,if they played like that today there would be serious injury.I mean like career ending injuries.
That 95 squad was just as strong if not stronger and just as fast as the top teams today bud. That squad woulda done to teams today what they did back then which is completely and thoroughly destroy them. There isn't a team today that has that squads nasty and vicious mentality nor the brutality with which they played and in it's prime would've destroyed every national champion till today as that team is the GOAT. Time has no bearing on strength, power and speed.

Last edited:
That's cliche but is it accurate? Are you basing that on data or making an assumption?
Studies have shown that the mere weight of NFL players has not risen in the last 25 years.
Those mid 90s teams would obliterate last year's Nebraska team. Bigger, faster, quicker, much stronger, smarter...everythinger. Everytime I see modern group shots of our team I'm disappointed in how these guys don't have the look of a football player. It's better than the Riley era (slovenly lineman) but they don't look intimidating.

This is from another site but the by position graph shows that it's flattened out.

Last edited:
Is that the game Ben Zajicek got his dingus knocked in the dirt by
Is that the game that Jonathon Vilma knocked Ben Zajicek dingus in the dirt?

InexperiencedSkeletalIcelandicsheepdog-size_restricted.gif

That's cliche but is it accurate? Are you basing that on data or making an assumption?
Studies have shown that the mere weight of NFL players has not risen in the last 25 years.
Those mid 90s teams would obliterate last year's Nebraska team. Bigger, faster, quicker, much stronger, smarter...everythinger. Everytime I see modern group shots of our team I'm disappointed in how these guys don't have the look of a football player. It's better than the Riley era (slovenly lineman) but they don't look intimidating.

This is from another site but the by position graph shows that it's flattened out.
That article is referencing professional football.
It's a fact that college football has changed drastically. We started that trend at Nebraska.
College football players are now dramatically bigger stronger and faster now.
Especially underclassmen.

Let me clarify that I did not say that they are tougher now. Weight room and speed statistics..

No.

We're discussing the game where NU kicked the shit out of what was supposed to be the best team ever. I don't blame you for being confused though, there were a lot of national title games in such a short amount of time. Easy to confuse them.

I know for a lot of teams it would be easy to just reference the national title game and fans would understand. Not the case for NU. Please give more details next time so we can narrow it down.

Reactions: resdog851
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT