ADVERTISEMENT

Refs Bias? Linesman facebook profile pic is michigan players

Is there any evidence that he makes favorable calls in Michigan's favor over the course of his career? If not, it is just a freaking picture.

Every referee grew up somewhere, currently lives somewhere and went to school somewhere. Are they all biased to the schools in the state they live in, grew up in and/ or went to school in? What if he is a Michigan St. fan, or better yet a Western Michigan fan, you know where he actually went to school.

Lots of people have multiple fave teams, the ones they grew up with rooting for, and the places they graduated college from..its that simple..lol

More often than not the team u grew up rooting for...u didn't graduate college from...and u actually have more love for the team u grew up rooting for then the school u graduated from a lot of times..

Is there any evidence that he makes favorable calls in Michigan's favor over the course of his career? If not, it is just a freaking picture.
Assuming it's one of the guys that was working closest to the Michigan sideline, then yes, there is some evidence.

Yeah, this happens a lot. I wonder if refs see it hit 0 and still wait a beat?

Or maybe they just don't notice. Maybe just have the goal posts light up or something, like in Basketball.
I think what it is is that the sport wants as much offense as possible, so try your best to not call penalties unless you absolutely have to. But call anything and everything on the defense.

Reactions: ivan brunetti
Assuming it's one of the guys that was working closest to the Michigan sideline, then yes, there is some evidence.
So of the 6 called penalties on Nebraska, which ones did he call? Out of the apparently countless number of Michigan penalties that were not called, how many should he have called?

Until then, you have nothing.

Lots of people have multiple fave teams, the ones they grew up with rooting for, and the places they graduated college from..its that simple..lol

More often than not the team u grew up rooting for...u didn't graduate college from...and u actually have more love for the team u grew up rooting for then the school u graduated from a lot of times..
So now it is about favorite teams? Next you will tell me that his favorite teams are all 13 teams besides Nebraska.

So of the 6 called penalties on Nebraska, which ones did he call? Out of the apparently countless number of Michigan penalties that were not called, how many should he have called?

actualy, if you watch the video thats pretty damming. Unless YOU can show instances where someone changes the mark on a play 2 times. Until then you have nothing.

We had the ball on 3rd & 1 with 1:45 left in the game and we choked. End of story.
I dont disagree entirely with this however there were some pretty big misses by officials in this game before that. Could Nebraska have did more? Absolutely. But the officials certainly were not calling it down the middle. Much like their calls during OU.

So now it is about favorite teams? Next you will tell me that his favorite teams are all 13 teams besides Nebraska.

My buddy is a FLA grad, but grew up as a ND fan..

If the two played head to head he would be rooting for ND
Not his Alma mater..even though he is a fan of both..

Yes Fandom does do things to people, yes it could sway a refs decision making as well.

We already know of a few cases of refs and gambling...so to think a ref would never give his fave team a good flag or a key spot in a close game? Lol

actualy, if you watch the video thats pretty damming. Unless YOU can show instances where someone changes the mark on a play 2 times. Until then you have nothing.
I don't need to prove anything. I am not the one accusing this guy for cheating Nebraska out of a win based on a photo of a Northwestern football game. The accuser needs to prove their case, not the accused.

Reactions: leodisflowers
My buddy is a FLA grad, but grew up as a ND fan..

If the two played head to head he would be rooting for ND
Not his Alma mater..even though he is a fan of both..

Yes Fandom does do things to people, yes it could sway a refs decision making as well.

We already know of a few cases of refs and gambling...so to think a ref would never give his fave team a good flag or a key spot in a close game? Lol
So now you have jumped the shark from a guy with a picture of himself refereeing a game to gambling?

You have a lot of could and huge jumps in this post. All I want you to show me is the calls that he didn't call against Michigan, that were clear penalties or the calls that he made on Nebraska that were weren't penalties. Heck just tell me how many of the 6 penalties called on Nebraska were called by him.

So now you have jumped the shark from a guy with a picture of himself refereeing a game to gambling?

You have a lot of could and huge jumps in this post. All I want you to show me is the calls that he didn't call against Michigan, that were clear penalties or the calls that he made on Nebraska that were weren't penalties. Heck just tell me how many of the 6 penalties called on Nebraska were called by him.

I was only saying if refs have been caught gambling on games which is a big no no...
Would u really put it past one to give e a favorable spot or to, to their favorite team? I mean u honestly think that's hard to believe?

Lol

There were bad calls on both sides of the game, there were also bad calls on NU during key moments that would have changed the course of the game..and two calls that u NEVER hear called..like mutual possession on a fumble and the Defensive interference cuz our guy clapped..both of these calls were huge swings that went in Michigan's favor. The PI call as well where the wr stopped his route gave them a TD instead of a FG attempt..

There were more bad calls that went against NU then that went against Mich for sure..

Now I am not saying specifically that there was a bias, but there could have been a bias simply for keeping Mich undefeated andoving on up the ranks.. we know the SEV officials have protected their prized hawks before on the way to the natty with shady calls...

I was only saying if refs have been caught gambling on games which is a big no no...
Would u really put it past one to give e a favorable spot or to, to their favorite team? I mean u honestly think that's hard to believe?

Lol

There were bad calls on both sides of the game, there were also bad calls on NU during key moments that would have changed the course of the game..and two calls that u NEVER hear called..like mutual possession on a fumble and the Defensive interference cuz our guy clapped..both of these calls were huge swings that went in Michigan's favor. The PI call as well where the wr stopped his route gave them a TD instead of a FG attempt..

There were more bad calls that went against NU then that went against Mich for sure..

Now I am not saying specifically that there was a bias, but there could have been a bias simply for keeping Mich undefeated andoving on up the ranks.. we know the SEV officials have protected their prized hawks before on the way to the natty with shady calls...
Again, there is nothing tangible that you can point to other than a freaking picture on Facebook that say shows this guy has done anything that could be considered biased or even incorrect. No one is writing about might haves and could haves. Most flat out believe this guy cheated the Huskers and needs to be fired immediately ONLY because he has a picture on his Facebook page.

Bringing up other referees getting caught gambling is irrelevant unless you believe he is gambling and using his influence in games to get the desired outcome. I don't think all other NFL players are killers because Rae Carruth killed someone.

Did this guy call the mutual possession or the clapping call? Simple question.

I am not talking about the other guys on the crew. The other guys on the crew don't have their Facebook account photos on this message boards as some sort of evidence they are Michigan homers.

Again, there is nothing tangible that you can point to other than a freaking picture on Facebook that say shows this guy has done anything that could be considered biased or even incorrect. No one is writing about might haves and could haves. Most flat out believe this guy cheated the Huskers and needs to be fired immediately ONLY because he has a picture on his Facebook page.

Bringing up other referees getting caught gambling is irrelevant unless you believe he is gambling and using his influence in games to get the desired outcome. I don't think all other NFL players are killers because Rae Carruth killed someone.

Did this guy call the mutual possession or the clapping call? Simple question.

I am not talking about the other guys on the crew. The other guys on the crew don't have their Facebook account photos on this message boards as some sort of evidence they are Michigan homers.
the US should establish a sort of devil's island where all future refs are born and raised

at the moment the first crop are ready for the field, all current refs/umps shall be thrown into various wells throughout the rust belt

Reactions: Tuco Salamanca
that coke bottle glasses ref in the big 12 was definitely a ut homer

245315433_10159547403349441_7933948508313108659_n.jpg
if im gonna pose up and post a pic of my favorite ‘only fans’ for my background, it will not be other dudes. fyi.

Here is a excerpt from an article covering the Michigan Ohio St game involving this same ref and Michigan folks are bitching about Wiercinski and his calling of the tOSU game......

Of course, my first thought after this call was "The refs are siding with Ohio State." This prompted me to do a lot researching. Finally, I found my answer. According to the Detroit News, these are the referees from the game: Kevin Schwarzel, Bobby Sagers, Dan Capron , and John Wiercinski. Two of the officials are from Ohio- Schwarzel and Sagers. In a newspaper article from 2006, Schwarzel is quoted as being an Ohio State fan. Why wouldn't he be? He is an Ohio native. Then there is Capron. He has actually been in trouble with the Big Ten before to the point where the director said he would not be officiating any more games(Chengelis). Hmm.

Like I said, the spotting of the ball was crazy. Picking up the holding flag was crazy.

I don't ever understand why a referee would ever be chosen to officiate a game from the state he lives in or for a school he went to. I always thought it was insane when clete blakeman was doing our games. There are 48 other states with officials, use those.

So was the spot wrong or do you just have an issue that he moved his feet to get the correct spot? It looked like the spot was actually pretty good, I mean we cant see the ball because the twitter dude wanted to make sure we saw the referees feet.
My issue on this one is that he marked the spot, then moved his foot not once, but twice.

Maybe he was correcting the spot. Maybe it was innocent all along. But I don’t recall seeing a referee mark the spot with his foot, only to change it a second later. And then adjust it again.

Again, I don’t know if it was intentional or not. But it was a bad look.

My issue on this one is that he marked the spot, then moved his foot not once, but twice.

Maybe he was correcting the spot. Maybe it was innocent all along. But I don’t recall seeing a referee mark the spot with his foot, only to change it a second later. And then adjust it again.

Again, I don’t know if it was intentional or not. But it was a bad look.
I'm sure it was intentional. The question is what is an incorrect spot or did the ref cheat and give Michigan a 1st Down they didn't deserve?

From the video that was provided, it appears the QB got the 1st, which should be the point and the goal.

I'm sure it was intentional. The question is what is an incorrect spot or did the ref cheat and give Michigan a 1st Down they didn't deserve?

From the video that was provided, it appears the QB got the 1st, which should be the point and the goal.
Yeah, but refs miss the mark all the time and spot the ball short or long… it happens. What I normally see is when the foot is planted it doesn’t move. But for some reason, this time it did. Twice. It just makes one think. If the goal was that he got a first down, plant the foot on that mark. Don’t plant it a few feet short and then step it up to a first down. Again, it just leaves it open to fan interpretation and it isn’t a surprise that some fans are upset.

I really try hard not to buy into conspiracy stuff. I don’t think this was a set up to get Nebraska. I’m not in that boat. Michigan also came up on the short end of some calls. It goes both ways.

As I’ve had time to reflect, this one might be the most curious for me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT