ADVERTISEMENT

Rece Davis and Desmond Howard Slam Scott Frost ...

OTOH - Joel Klatt, a CU Grad, was on the Big Ten Network yesterday - following Frost's remarks - making an equally impassioned plea to play the season. He echoed many of Frost's comments, and expressed his concern about athletes falling victim to substance abuse and mental illness if they miss out on the structure of college football and the student-athlete experience.
and Klatt is one of the best minds in college football. I listen when he talks.

Count me among those who think this kind of national criticism of Frost is a big plus for Nebraska. The more heat jerks like these two asshats bring to bear the more it makes Frost, and Nebraska, look like heroes to any young athlete out there who has a passion for football. It also highlights in a huge way that recruits will notice how important football is to Nebraskans.

I agree with this. The pundits need some drama when there aren’t games so they took their shot.
I think the exposure overall benefits Frost and us....
especially when you break down the logic behind Frost and (hate to say it) Harbaugh’s comments.

The structure of football has improved health and safety. The absence of football will likely harm it.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
when 5 of the most powerful men in their respective states are in favor of playing football I think the "lesser thans" will listen

Kevin Warren can’t even make his own decisions, let alone tell others.
But if I'm the president at Nebraska or Michigan, I do tell Frost and Harbaugh to keep their mouths shut.

The reason for that is they have been outspoken about how swimmingly things have been within their own little bubbles in Lincoln and Ann Arbor.

Suppose they go rogue, and a player contracts C19 and develops a severe case of myocarditis. The player's family then decides to sue the school. Of course, the school's attorney will counter with how it can't be proven that the player contracted the infection through a football-related activity. That might even involve throwing the player under the bus in some way. Someone might say how the player went to his girlfriend's house one night for some nookie, and therefore he must have contracted it there.

The first thing the family's attorney will point to are statements made by the coach in early August, and point out that there's no way the player got it from anywhere but a football activity or game if things were run as tight as, say, Harbaugh is claiming (i.e. the player isn't going out and about and being around a bunch of other people during his non-football time).

Sure...the school might still win the case, but the optics would be bad....and university presidents hate bad optics.

OTOH - Joel Klatt, a CU Grad, was on the Big Ten Network yesterday - following Frost's remarks - making an equally impassioned plea to play the season. He echoed many of Frost's comments, and expressed his concern about athletes falling victim to substance abuse and mental illness if they miss out on the structure of college football and the student-athlete experience.
As much respect as I have for Klatt (his dad was a coach at a league school in my HS days....great coach and a classy guy), this isn't a good statement.

The overwhelming majority of these players will be done playing competitive football before they turn 24. Probably not a good sign if so many are at risk for falling victim to drug abuse because they don't have football for a few months, let alone when that day comes when not being able to play football becomes permanent.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT