ADVERTISEMENT

RB Mekhi Nelson is N

We need RBs with all of our questions regarding the health of Rahmir and Gabe.
Also, if Ives were the real deal he would have played last year but didn’t.

I am glad he comes in right away for depth.

I personally don’t think we ever see Ives play any meaningful snaps as a Husker and he’ll transfer to G5. Not sure how good this kid is but maybe Rhule knows something.

I personally don’t think we ever see Ives play any meaningful snaps as a Husker and he’ll transfer to G5. Not sure how good this kid is but maybe Rhule knows something.
Seems that way, and I think if we don’t see something at least from him this season, that may be all she wrote.
Hopefully he breaks out. We shall see.

Reactions: shocksker
Identified a weakness and throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks. Most staffs aren't even getting New 2024 guys at this point. He's worthy of a chance in Ruhles eyes, nothing more. Room is ripe for someone to take charge. Maybe EJ does maybe he doesn't but there is a plan B, C,D...

We need RBs with all of our questions regarding the health of Rahmir and Gabe.
Also, if Ives were the real deal he would have played last year but didn’t.

I am glad he comes in right away for depth.

Yes, if a true freshman doesn’t play his first year on campus, he must not be very good. 😂

P.S. - Someone tell Eric Crouch he wasn’t very good.

Yes, if a true freshman doesn’t play his first year on campus, he must not be very good. 😂

Crouch was a top 100 recruit. Likely a 5-star if they did that back then so not the same thing.

Plus last year RB was such a dumpster fire we had to move a WR to RB and still no Ives. Note a lot of people claim RB is the easiest to see the field at as a truFrosh too.

I’m not really meaning to knock Ives but him and EJ have been questionable since arrival. I think this is a make or break year for EJ and I really not holding my breath on Ives, I’m sorry I’m just not. Hope I’m wrong but not going to pretend on him to get my Kool-aid levels up. RB is still our weak link

Last edited:

No question Crouch was one of our best ever, but he did redshirt his freshman year…

I agree. I liked what I heard about him coming in and I know the coaches have said good things about what they have seen of him. But as Lombardi said, “Potential means that you haven’t done it yet.” When is Ives gonna get his opportunity?

Sweet, I don't remember too many players coming back after a severe injury and playing similar to their earlier level.
agreed.

RB depth chart appears to be 3.5 deep:

Emmett Johnson
Rahmir Johnson
Dante Dowdell
Ives/Mazzccua

we will be very fortunate to get anything out of Gabe Ervin coming back from his 2nd major lower body injury. big time long shot.

at least Rahmir's season ending injury was to his upper body (shoulder)

I'm not sure what to expect from Dowdell. he's a perfect fit in our offense because he could either be complete disappointing crap or showcase his relatively high ceiling just like everyone else.

Ives was Rhule's very first signee as our head coach. odds are good that we'll need him to produce at some point this season. I'm interested to see how he's developing.

Thanks Kong. This makes me feel a lot better about his commitment. I was basing my opinion on actually having seen him play in games around here. I was not all that impressed. But what the hell do I know? It is doubly sweet that he had an offer from PSU which he did not accept. Living as I do in PSU country I can't even begin to say how much I hate that program and its fans.

Thanks Kong. This makes me feel a lot better about his commitment. I was basing my opinion on actually having seen him play in games around here. I was not all that impressed. But what the hell do I know? It is doubly sweet that he had an offer from PSU which he did not accept. Living as I do in PSU country I can't even begin to say how much I hate that program and its fans.
I don't know if he had an offer to PSU but they must've at least shown interest and one worthless ratings service had him in the top 50 for next year's RBs.

since this is Rhule's final offseason to receive a blanket benefit of the doubt, I'll extend my requisite good will here

I don't know if he had an offer to PSU but they must've at least shown interest and one worthless ratings service had him in the top 50 for next year's RBs.

since this is Rhule's final offseason to receive a blanket benefit of the doubt, I'll extend my requisite good will here
Agreed, I said when he was hired I'd give the staff a year and a half to show what they've got. So far, tons of positives, and several negatives. Yet, Rhule seems to know what the issues were and is trying hard to address them through personnel additions. I hope the same holds true with the less than stellar time outs, etc that were wasted last year.

Agreed, I said when he was hired I'd give the staff a year and a half to show what they've got. So far, tons of positives, and several negatives. Yet, Rhule seems to know what the issues were and is trying hard to address them through personnel additions. I hope the same holds true with the less than stellar time outs, etc that were wasted last year.
I also like that he's yet to extend any of his offensive assistants beyond this season.

it's my hope that every one of them is coaching for their job in 2024 and acts accordingly.

I also like that he's yet to extend any of his offensive assistants beyond this season.

it's my hope that every one of them is coaching for their job in 2024 and acts accordingly.
At this point I say McGwire, Bethel, and Foley have underperformed, but of course, they are here as long as they want to be. I can't put Satt in that group because of the injuries last year and the unhealthy status of our QB's.

I'm tired of hearing Foley say how great Buschini and Alvano are in practice as well as the overall r return game. Yuck. The transfer placekicker and Jacory could go a long ways towards making this at least a decent part of the picture.

NU needs Ty, Nash, Jamari, Tommi, Isaac and a healthy Cam and Prince as well as a couple freshmen LB's to approach difference maker ability and this can be a really salty defense.

Last edited:
Had only three other offers according 247 - Connecticut, Massachusetts and Bowling Green.
As originally a 2025 recruit the offer list doesn’t worry me. UConn and Bowling Green have fielded some good RBs. I think it’s a low risk take for us and we lost our best walk on back to transfer this past winter. He has D-1 scholarship offers and is choosing N. Good nuf.

At this point I say McGwire, Bethel, and Foley have underperformed, but of course, they are here as long as they want to be. I can't put Satt in that group because of the injuries last year and the unhealthy status of our QB's.

I'm tired of hearing Foley say how great Buschini and Alvano are in practice as well as the overall r return game. Yuck. The transfer placekicker and Jacory could go a long ways towards making this at least a decent part of the picture.

NU needs Ty, Nash, Jamari, Tommi, Isaac and a healthy Cam and Prince as well as a couple freshmen LB's to approach difference maker ability and this can be a really salty defense.
Have not been a fan of McGwire from the start but he has rebuilt his room and is showing a lot of improvement. It was his first year coaching, granted no one should cut their teeth coaching at NU, but he did. I expect him to make a leap this year. I don’t see EJ doing much. He’s still trying to land the type of guys he’d recruit at UCONN and his room is still a liability.

Think about this. RB is supposed to be the easiest to see the field as a true freshman, we needed it and EJ couldn’t get it done. WR is supposed to be the hardest, we needed it and McGwire got it done with a few guys.

Have not been a fan of McGwire from the start but he has rebuilt his room and is showing a lot of improvement. It was his first year coaching, granted no one should cut their teeth coaching at NU, but he did. I expect him to make a leap this year. I don’t see EJ doing much. He’s still trying to land the type of guys he’d recruit at UCONN and his room is still a liability.

Think about this. RB is supposed to be the easiest to see the field as a true freshman, we needed it and EJ couldn’t get it done. WR is supposed to be the hardest, we needed it and McGwire got it done with a few guys.
I’m not sure I’d say EJ couldn’t get it done, I thought EJ did a decent job, all things considered… but to your larger point about Barthel, yeah, he has not been impressive.

McGuire has three white WR for this 2025 class, with K State being the top offer overall, another with an offer from us and Army.
I wouldn’t give him too many props at this point.
Still early, yes, but we are competing with Kansas and Army and Bowling Green and shit for WRs?
Come on man

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT