ADVERTISEMENT

Ranking HC job positions in the B1G

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReuniteGondwanaland

Blackshirt
Sep 8, 2010
Interesting question, answered by a B1G panel including HuskerOnline's Sean Callahan.

"Where would you want to coach if the slates (rosters, sanctions, etc.) were wiped clean and all 14 jobs were available?"

First three positions were widely agreed upon: OSU as the best job, then Michigan, then Penn State. Near tie for 4th between Wisconsin, Nebraska and Michigan State.

Most Nebraska fans probably don't think about the HC position in Lincoln as the 5th best job in the conference.

Where
would you want to coach if the slates (rosters, sanctions, etc.) were
wiped clean and all 14 jobs were available? - See more at:
http://athlonsports.com/college-football/expert-poll-ranking-big-tens-football-jobs-2015#sthash.OaAhJpof.dpuf

Dumb ranking outside Ohio State as #1.

Other schools have 1 thing on Nebraska and that's it, closet recruiting talent. Other than that, Nebraska trumps all other categories.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I'd probably put us 3d behind OSU and Michigan myself. Michigan's geographic advantage is hard to overcome. Wisconsin's had a few good years but no way if I'm a coach with no ties to either school I see the Badgers as a better job. It's lower pressure, I guess.

Originally posted by ReuniteGondwanaland:
I'd probably put us 3d behind OSU and Michigan myself. Michigan's geographic advantage is hard to overcome. Wisconsin's had a few good years but no way if I'm a coach with no ties to either school I see the Badgers as a better job. It's lower pressure, I guess.
I'd go Ohio State, Penn State, and than Michigan. Of course I'm biased.

Penn State has a geographic advantage to Michigan. Pennsylvania borders, New Jersey, Maryland, Ohio, and New York. Not to mention we are a short drive to the DMV. There is too much talent for PSU to get them all, but we are generally in the top 3 in pretty much every 4 star recruit in that footprint.

I will say that Michigan can recruit nationally better than PSU. They put a lot of resources into it and a lot of there alumni leave Michigan and scattered all over the country.

Originally posted by HuskerTimOmaha:
Michigan has a closer recruiting pool, what else? Nada, Nebraska trumps them in every other category listed in the article.
It's close, but I'd give the edge to Michigan.

1) They have a huge alumni fan base and and bunch of bandwagon fans.
2) There facilities are top notch, but I'm sure could be Nebraska's better. However, if they are it has to be an ever so slight advantage.
3) Money has to be a huge for Michigan. Then again, I could be just confusing that with their non-athletic fund. They have ton of money at that school.
4) The pressure to win is pretty much wash among the top 4 or 5 schools. Then gain Ohio State fans are like SEC fans and are crazy. They have fired every coach they have ever had going back to the 40s.

Michigan has a closer recruiting pool, what else? Nada, Nebraska trumps them in every other category listed in the article.
Which program provides the most support? Which program has access to the best players? Which program has proven it can succeed at a high level over time? Which program has the most pressure to win?
These questions are fairly easy to answer, and there are more questions then these when trying to vote a program.

Basically I'm not seeing where you're coming from here. At all.

Michigan, Michigan State, OSU, Wiscy, Iowa, Penn State, are all bigger schools, with a larger alumni base. Obviously as you've said, Nebraska isn't tops in player access, which I can only assume means in-state recruiting. That's an easy argument as your population is lower than all states listed by quite a bit. So we agree there.

Then we got to 'most support'. What are the exact parameters of that? Because all the programs listed are highly supported, money, fans, etc. Michigan, OSU, and PSU have more of both. Wiscy is also a monster, that is appears to be finding it's potential. Also, MSU is a bit of a monster itself. It's a huge school, lots of rabid support, even more money, and is now becoming what it should have been years ago. Iowa is surprisingly high in all categories, despite the past few years. So how do you trump these other schools?

Which program has the most pressure to win? Hard to say actually, because Michigan has gone through 4 coaches in less than a decade. OSU has been winning, so there hasn't been a tremendous amount of pressure, but if they had the down years other schools have had, the pressure would blow up Ohio. Working for Barry Alvarez requires dealing with pressure, but again they've been winning. MSU is now becoming a power, and the pressure has grown considerably, especially snce they have ruled their state for years now. Don't even get me started on Penn State. Iowa, LOTS of pressure but at the mercy of a contract that will serve as an example of what not to do for other schools in the future.

Now succeed for a longer amount of time is debatable, but I can maybe see your argument there. Though time have changed, and there are significant factors to be spoken of in that debate.

Originally posted by PennsylvaniaPride:

2) There facilities are top notch, but I'm sure could be Nebraska's better. However, if they are it has to be an ever so slight advantage.
3) Money has to be a huge for Michigan. Then again, I could be just confusing that with their non-athletic fund. They have ton of money at that school.
4) The pressure to win is pretty much wash among the top 4 or 5 schools. Then gain Ohio State fans are like SEC fans and are crazy. They have fired every coach they have ever had going back to the 40s.
Speaking of facilities.

Apr 9

BTN Spring Practice Tour #Hawkeyes New Football Building puts Iowa in convo about who has the best facilities in the B1G

18h18 hours ago

New facilities at @HawkeyeFootball are first class. Not going to find a better setup in the country.

Michigan has a closer recruiting pool, what else?
LOL. The rest of the differences are absolutely trivial compared to this one. No one but Husker fans would think NU is a better job than Michigan (or tOSU or Penn State). Laughable.

I don't see how Wisconsin would be considered top 4 when their last 2 coaches have left to take jobs at lesser schools. That seems like a huge red flag for being considered a top coaching job.

After I took off my Big Red goggles, it's hard to argue with the results. Achieving nothing on the field in the 2000's has definitely taken its toll.

Since recruiting is everything in CFB and there is no substitute for being closer to high school talent, I have zero issues with the rankings. Seems pretty objective to me.

Originally posted by PennsylvaniaPride:

Means absolutely nothing, see list of questions. If you haven't been to Nebraska's facilities, or at least familiar with them, don't comment. Means absolutely nothing, see list of questions. But to play your game, there isn't a thing Michigan has that Nebraska doesn't. However, there are a few things (NAPL, life skills).Nebraska fires 9 and 10 win coaches, Michigan puts them on a throne. Spare me pressure to win is higher in AA, or anywhere else in the B1G besides Columbus.

This post was edited on 4/14 6:35 AM by HuskerTimOmaha

Originally posted by HawktimusPrime:

Basically I'm not seeing where you're coming from here. At all.

Michigan, Michigan State, OSU, Wiscy, Iowa, Penn State, are all bigger schools, with a larger alumni base. Obviously as you've said, Nebraska isn't tops in player access, which I can only assume means in-state recruiting. That's an easy argument as your population is lower than all states listed by quite a bit. So we agree there.have changed, and there are significant factors to be spoken of in that debate.
Surprise, surprise.

And the alumni base has done what for the schools mentioned not named Ohio State? Absolutely nothing. Correct, talent pool (which includes border states) are the one thing all schools in the B1G have over Nebraska. It's been like that for decades, and for some reason, Nebraska has proven over decades to have more success than any other B1G program not named Ohio State.

Then we got to 'most support'. What are the exact parameters of that?
They would have to define it before any answers mean a thing.

Which program has the most pressure to win? Hard to say actually, because Michigan has gone through 4 coaches in less than a decade. OSU has been winning, so there hasn't been a tremendous amount of pressure, but if they had the down years other schools have had, the pressure would blow up Ohio. Working for Barry Alvarez requires dealing with pressure, but again they've been winning. MSU is now becoming a power, and the pressure has grown considerably, especially snce they have ruled their state for years now. Don't even get me started on Penn State. Iowa, LOTS of pressure but at the mercy of a contract that will serve as an example of what not to do for other schools in the future.
Two of the coaches haven't won, that's why they were fired.

Pressure of winning is firing 2 coaches that won 9-10 games a season, see Frank Solich and Bo Pelini. While Michigan puts their 9-10 win coach (Carr) on a thrown, we fire ours. And there's not another B1G school that would fire a coach with 9-10 win seasons like Nebraska has.

Originally posted by BringBackRoyal:

LOL. The rest of the differences are absolutely trivial compared to this one. No one but Husker fans would think NU is a better job than Michigan (or tOSU or Penn State). Laughable.
Based on the questions asked....

Which program provides the most support? One has to define the question to answer it.

Which program has access to the best players? Michigan > Nebraska, if the question is in-state or border state talent. If it's access as in access, Nebraska can go anywhere Michigan and any other school in the country can go.

Which program has proven it can succeed at a higher level over time? Nebraska > Michigan. Since the invention of the color television, Michigan has one (shared) national title. Nebraska has five (one shared). Higher level is plain and sim

Which program has the most pressure to win? Nebraska > Michigan. Frank Solich and Bo Pelini are the only 4 words needed to support this fact.

Most coaches and fans tend to frown on firing 9 and 10 win coaches, not sure that's the feather in our cap you're thinking. While I agreed with both firings, we've heard plenty of backlash over it.

Can't get past the recruiting aspect, you're down playing it's importance. It's not everything, but damn near.

Michigan was able to land Hargod, who could have gone anywhere he wanted and gotten a lot of coaches in the country fired if he wanted their job. NU couldn't have landed him with the same monetary offer.

Pedgophile State landed Franklin. I am not personally sold on him, but I think he was pretty coveted. Would he have taken the NU job? I have my doubts. Remember when Peadyshine went looking for a coach, and how much trouble he had filling the vacancy? What's that tell you? Tells me NU isn't as high on everyone else's list as it is on yours.

Wisky is a tough one for me. They've had a lot more success than we have, yet I keep waiting for them to drop off, but they haven't. So it can't be as bad of a job as I've always thought, but I think NU is still better.

Do we believe the reports that Bilema turned us down? If so what's that does that tell you?

I don't think NU is a highly coveted job, never was. There are easier places to recruit to and look at coaches around the country in the last year that had opportunities to leave and didn't.

We have our tradition, which hasn't meant crap for a long time now, and we're in a lousy division in a weakass conference. That's our two biggest strengths IMO. Not exactly a eutopia in my mind when it comes to landing top flight name brand coaches.

We heard plenty of backlash over Solich, as he represented our school, state and program with class. Unless you forgot, there was an overwhelming show of support all over the country when Pelini was fired. Very, very few - and I say less than a handful - was against the Pelini firing.

I will never downplay the importance of recruiting, ever. I've said all B1G schools trump Nebraska with in-state and border state talent. That's pretty clear. Nebraska has been at this disadvantage for decades, and has more success than any other B1G school not named Ohio State.

Harbaugh is an alum, let's not overplay Michigan hiring him. And you don't know if Nebraska could've landed him or not.

Franklin, seriously?!? Name all the schools that went after Franklin and he turned them down. Matter of fact, Franklin wasn't even the first choice of Pedophile State, that would go to Al Golden.
laugh.r191677.gif

Wisconsin has had a lot more success? Dude, this isn't based on the last 5-10 years. Insert Keyshawn Johnson gif.

Bielema turned us down? Holy shit man, tell me you didn't just ask that question.

Based on the questions asked in the article, there isn't a school outside of Ohio State that Nebraska hasn't proven success over. And I'm not talking the last 5-10 years, I'm talking a very long time. And the article was clear with "over time".

You sound just like Bo Pelini, can't win here because of ______, blah.

This post was edited on 4/14 7:07 AM by HuskerTimOmaha

Being in a lousy division in a weakass conference are our two biggest strengths? What the what? You sound like the other guys recruiting coordinator.

IDK if Bilema turned us down, hence the question mark. But it was reported he did.

Hargod wasn't going to come to Nebraska and you know it. I understand he is an alum of Michigan, but he could have gone anywhere he wanted, and had some pretty harsh words for Michigan in the past so I don't think he would have taken the job if he didn't think it was a place that was "easy" to win at. No reasonable person takes a harder job than he has to.

I also hope you guys are right, I hope NU is a better school to coach at than the ranking shows because MR isn't going to be around that long and at some point we'll need another head coach. But NU has never, ever, been a highly coveted job. If you gave every top flight coach in America their choice of HC jobs in the B1G, I think those rankings would prove to be pretty accurate. Doesn't mean we can't win here, of course we can. I also think MR was the best off season hire of all the schools, so obviously we can attract good coaches, doesn't change the fact most coaches around the country would choose a few other schools before Nebraska, given the choice. That's OK, we'll be fine.

Ah yes, it was reported by footballscoop and the very next day, Mike Riley is named head coach. Matter of fact, it was reported by footballscoop that BB was, and I quote, "in serious talks". Hot damn, serious talks that led to Mike Riley being named head coach 24 hours later. I hear ya, surely Eichorst was in negotiations with both coaches!
laugh.r191677.gif
I went over all of this back in December, pretty obvious what BB was doing - see his contract extension officially announced after signing day.

No I don't. As far as taking "harder jobs", you assume Michigan is harder to win at compared to the Oakland Raiders. Plenty of reasonable people take harder jobs, you're underestimating the value one has of competition. I'm one, I left a cush job 4 years ago for a much bigger, and harder, challenge.

Name me a blueblood program that would fire their current coach for Jim Harbaugh. Alabama? Nope. Ohio State? Nope. USC? Nope. Oklahoma? Nope. Notre Dame? Nope. Texas? Maybe. Nebraska didn't have a coach to fire, and neither did Michigan.

This post was edited on 4/14 7:27 AM by HuskerTimOmaha

There are 4 questions to begin the article. Copy and past them in a message then answer the questions. If you're not aware of an answer, Google is a powerful tool to get answers. Nebraska has proven over time, and over time is part of the criteria, to trump the schools listed ahead of them outside of Ohio State.

Is it possible an explatory (is that even a word?) phone call was made to a Bilema rep, to gauge interest? You saying that didn't happen? Hope you're right if you're answer is no, because I'd like to think NU is a better job than Arkansas. IDK if it happened, I think it's at least possible. I never said it happened, I am not arguing it happened, I am wondering out loud, as it was reported. I don't think you know every phone call SE made to gauge interest either.

Hargod wasn't coming to Nebraska and you know it. He was the single most coveted HC that's come along in a long time, he would have looked at the caller ID and laughed. Doesn't mean he's going to win at Michigan, but he was a huge get for them.

I think the article is pretty accurate. Since we're a fan of the same program, I hope they are wrong. I think I'm just being more objective than you about it.

No, otherwise it would've been leaked sooner than the day Nebraska was finalizing the details with Mike Riley. I'm pretty confident in what I do and don't know, especially compared to your speculation that doesn't make sense.

No, I don't know. Now if you're going to change your question, like you did with the BB one, and ask would he take the Nebraska job over Michigan, my answer is a definite 110% NO. I don't see him taking any college job over Michigan at this time and place in his career. Pete Carroll is the most coveted HC to come around in a long time, closely followed by Nick Saban.

Ohio State is a given at #1, next time read what I say before responding to me.
flush.r191677.gif

And Cooper wasn't a 9-10 win coach like Solich and Pelini.

This post was edited on 4/14 8:10 AM by HuskerTimOmaha

Really all this thread has confirmed is Iowa fans know shit about football and BringBackRoyal let's Nebraska live rent free in his head.

One more thing, just to be clear.

With the questions asked within the article, all questions seem to be asked evenly. As in, one doesn't outweigh the other, they're equal. Because of this, one needs to answer the questions independently of the others. Once you do this, see what school ranks where and if you still have Nebraska as low as the article does, or think other schools have it better than Nebraska, I'm not sure what to say outside of everyone has an opinion...

Litespeed there is nothing more than I am sure of when I state that nobody from Nebraska called and offered Bielema a job.

OSU is clear #1, we all can agree. After that it's pretty subjective, but still believe with all my heart most coaches would go with Michigan. After that, toss up between PSU, Mich State, NU, and Wisky, you can make an argument for any of them and anyone who does isn't right or wrong, it's (like you said) an opinion.

463, good to know. I'd like to think NU would outrank Arky for the head football job. If their HC had said no, it would be hard to keep thinking that.

Originally posted by litespeedhuskerfan:

but still believe with all my heart most coaches would go with Michigan. After that, toss up between PSU, Mich State, NU, and Wisky, you can make an argument for any of them and anyone who does isn't right or wrong, it's (like you said) an opinion.
Take the couple minutes and answer the questions from the article.

Which program provides the most support? Which program has access to the best players? Which program has proven it can succeed at a higher level over time? Which program has the most pressure to win?
Here's an opportunity to understand where you're coming from. All questions are equal, looking forward to your answers and reasons behind the answers....

One more thing, just to be clear.

With the questions asked within the article, all questions seem to be asked evenly. As in, one doesn't outweigh the other, they're equal. Because of this, one needs to answer the questions independently of the others. Once you do this, see what school ranks where and if you still have Nebraska as low as the article does, or think other schools have it better than Nebraska, I'm not sure what to say outside of everyone has an opinion...
I'm just wondering why 'pressure to win' makes the job better? I'd personally use different questions.

1. How much money do they normally pay?
2. How much support and resources do I have access to?
3. How easy is it to recruit?
4. How strict are the recruiting standards in regards to academics?
5. How much will they pay my assistants?
6. Is the AD an arsehole?
7. Location, location, location.
8. Who's in my division?
9. How are the fans? How is the local press?
10. How much corruption is there?, and could it become a problem down the line, or is there something that will creep up later, in which I'll face reprucussions for somebody elses misdeeds.

Originally posted by 4.6.3:
Litespeed there is nothing more than I am sure of when I state that nobody from Nebraska called and offered Bielema a job.

This is correct, if Brett ever did come back to the B1G, there is only one school he'd come to. Problem is that he and a certain AD currently running the ship don't see eye to eye. Not an impossible situation, but not likely at this time.

Which program provides the most support?
Which program has access to the best players?
Which program has proven it can succeed at a high level over time?
Which program has the most pressure to win?

Based on the questions in the poll, I would say that we are either #2 or #3, behind only Ohio State and maybe Michigan. Our support takes a back seat to only Ohio State. Their financial support is off the charts. But remind me again which team has been sold out since '62.

Obviously access to the best players go to Ohio State, Michigan, and probably Penn State. Although we do recruit nationally as well as anyone in the B1G other than Ohio State. Hell, Bill Callahan had the 5th best class in the nation just 10 years ago, during a down period at Nebraska. So we know that if it weren't for a lazy ass Bo Pelini staff, we could be in the Top 10-15 in recruiting every year.

Nebraska still has the best winning percentage in college football over the last 50 years, so throw in 5 national titles during that time, and I would say that we have stood the test of time very well. We are #7 all-time in winning %, behind only Ohio State and Michigan from the B1G. Our facilities are on par with nearly anyone in the nation not named Oregon. We also have a human performance research facility that is the best of any football school.

In terms of pressure to win, wouldn't the fact that we have won a higher percentage of our games over the last 50 years add to the pressure to win? I don't think that we are behind any of the teams on this list. I'm sure the pressure is equally high at Nebraska, Ohio State, and Michigan.

Penn State shouldn't even be in the discussion for Top 3 teams.

Originally posted by Hoosker Du:

Based on the questions in the poll, I would say that we are either #2 or #3, behind only Ohio State and maybe Michigan. Our support takes a back seat to only Ohio State. Their financial support is off the charts. But remind me again which team has been sold out since '62.

Obviously access to the best players go to Ohio State, Michigan, and probably Penn State. Although we do recruit nationally as well as anyone in the B1G other than Ohio State. Hell, Bill Callahan had the 5th best class in the nation just 10 years ago, during a down period at Nebraska. So we know that if it weren't for a lazy ass Bo Pelini staff, we could be in the Top 10-15 in recruiting every year.

Nebraska still has the best winning percentage in college football over the last 50 years, so throw in 5 national titles during that time, and I would say that we have stood the test of time very well. We are #7 all-time in winning %, behind only Ohio State and Michigan from the B1G. Our facilities are on par with nearly anyone in the nation not named Oregon. We also have a human performance research facility that is the best of any football school.

In terms of pressure to win, wouldn't the fact that we have won a higher percentage of our games over the last 50 years add to the pressure to win? I don't think that we are behind any of the teams on this list. I'm sure the pressure is equally high at Nebraska, Ohio State, and Michigan.

Maybe, but consider OSU, PSU, and Michigan as having 100,000+seating in their stadium. Elite funding, huge student support, etc. etc. None of these stadiums have had less than 95,000 in their stadiums anytime recently. They have all been successful.

They also have to deal with multiple in-state D-1 Universities and professional teams. Yet they still trump everyone else in all these things listed. Now success is one thing you have going for you, but they have all three been more successful in actual accomplishments for a decade and a half now. Penn State, like it or not, is going to rise back up.

Also, like I said before. MSU and Wiscy are now both starting to full realize their potential. They are monsters in the making and they have the credentials to prove it.

I'm not trying to cut on you, I'm just telling you how it is. If anything there is an almost too close too call debate going on here.

Maybe, but consider OSU, PSU, and Michigan as having 100,000+seating in their stadium. Elite funding, huge student support, etc. etc. None of these stadiums have had less than 95,000 in their stadiums anytime recently. They have all been successful.

They also have to deal with multiple in-state D-1 Universities and professional teams. Yet they still trump everyone else in all these things listed. Now success is one thing you have going for you, but they have all three been more successful in actual accomplishments for a decade and a half now. Penn State, like it or not, is going to rise back up.

Also, like I said before. MSU and Wiscy are now both starting to full realize their potential. They are monsters in the making and they have the credentials to prove it.

I'm not trying to cut on you, I'm just telling you how it is. If anything there is an almost too close too call debate going on here.
Penn State's record isn't anywhere close to being as successful as Nebraska over the last decade and a half. Seriously man, do some research before you post.

Nebraska-131-64
Penn St.-113-71

Our funding is on par with anyone in the B1G, other than Ohio State. And who gives a f*ck about student support? Can students pay $5,000 for each ticket (plus donation) each year? Regardless, our student support is as good as any team in the B1G.

The beauty of Nebraska is that our entire state supports them as opposed to splintered fan support.

This post was edited on 4/14 1:14 PM by Hoosker Du

Penn State's record isn't anywhere close to being as successful as Nebraska over the last decade and a half. Seriously man, do some research before you post.

Nebraska-131-64
Penn St.-113-71

Our funding is on par with anyone in the B1G, other than Ohio State. And who gives a f*ck about student support? Can students pay $5,000 for each ticket (plus donation) each year? Regardless, our student support is as good as any team in the B1G.

The beauty of Nebraska is that our entire state is behind the program. Our entire state supports them as opposed to splintered fan support.
Penn State went to 2 BCS games and won two conference titles in the past decade. This on top of the Sandusky scandal, which they should still be suffering for by the way. Records mean squat if they don't actually lead somewhere. That's a fact, and I hate defending those cretins, but it is what it is.

Student support is as important as ANY support. It is also the place from where most of the donations in the future will come from. More students, more money, it's simple. Boosters, Alumni, are the life blood of a program and that's a fact. They are almost always former students in the majority of their numbers.

Yes, you do have statewide support. I'll agree with that. But I'm a realist, and you know why you have that type of support. It's an advantage that many schools do not have.
This post was edited on 4/14 1:24 PM by HawktimusPrime

I just got back to my office but will look this over and post back by tomorrow. Reasonable debates always welcome...

I'm just wondering why 'pressure to win' makes the job better? I'd personally use different questions.
You'll have to ask Athlon, it doesn't matter what quesitons you'd use as that's irrelevant to the discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT