ADVERTISEMENT

Raiola

Talent around him based upon paper projections from some things they did elsewhere, or HS stars from years ago?

Or talent around him based upon what we’ve seen on the field for this team this year?

Name one offensive player whose production is being held back due to the struggles of our true frosh QB this year. Just one.
I’m putting much of the blame on the play caller. Throwing the ball 44 times against Indiana was not a recipe for success. The game plan other than beating bubble screens to death, was much better against OSU. No doubt Raiola would perform better with a Saquan Barkley RB and Justin Jefferson WR.

We would be 7-1 right now if Raiola had not overthrown wide open receivers in the end zone against Illinois and OSU. Complain all you want about other issues, but we really would be 7-1 had he made those passes. He has also overthrown open receivers on long passes which were not in the end zone. It only underscores that he is talented but still a work in progress. He has been very good but certainly not a freshman phenom. I think Adrian Martinez had a better freshman year than Raiola is having.

Patience.
He'll transfer.

Our WRs are not good. Period. Can't block at all consistently. Can't get open. What makes them good or even close to the best. Nothing. Glad the seniors are seniors. Coach probably needs to follow them out the door.
First, we can’t see the entire field on each passing play to see who is getting open and who is not. If you have that film, share it with all of us.

We have two transfers who were good players at other schools and a TE that has very good hands. Our second group of receivers played a lot last year but can’t find the field much if at all this year. We have two freshmen showing potential, Barney and Nelson. Castaneda was producing before the injury and is now relegated to STs.

I am not saying they are perfect and will be All B1G performers but collectively as a group, as good as we have had.

We would be 7-1 right now if Raiola had not overthrown wide open receivers in the end zone against Illinois and OSU. Complain all you want about other issues, but we really would be 7-1 had he made those passes. He has also overthrown open receivers on long passes which were not in the end zone. It only underscores that he is talented but still a work in progress. He has been very good but certainly not a freshman phenom. I think Adrian Martinez had a better freshman year than Raiola is having.

Patience.
Illinois, agree. The receivers make plays and we score 28 in the first half, or hit the FG or TD pass late, we probably win. But tOSU, I'm not so sure. One more play means tOSU has to make more plays, and they probably do. The offense is going to have to put pressure on the other team to compete with top teams, and they generally don't. Since the first half of the Illinois game, if they can stumble to 20 points against anyone with P4 athletes it's a miracle. I think part of it is our freshman QB, but that's only one part.

Reactions: MissoulaHusker
First, we can’t see the entire field on each passing play to see who is getting open and who is not. If you have that film, share it with all of us.

We have two transfers who were good players at other schools and a TE that has very good hands. Our second group of receivers played a lot last year but can’t find the field much if at all this year. We have two freshmen showing potential, Barney and Nelson. Castaneda was producing before the injury and is now relegated to STs.

I am not saying they are perfect and will be All B1G performers but collectively as a group, as good as we have had.
Oh good god I give up.

Exactly. Our inability to see whole field post game video is extremely limiting. Then you couple that with the fact that we don't know what play was called in the huddle and who the primary receivers are supposed to be or what Raiola's progression is supposed to be makes it difficult for most of us to comment intelligently. We see the result. We see a missed receiver but it's tough for us to know for sure if the receiver ran their route correctly or not.

That's because they know it's a run play with HH.
And our staff is afraid to let HH throw an option pass apparently to break the tendency. Raiola just showed that he can run any play that Haarberg can and teams don't expect Raiola to run. I wouldn't be against letting HH have 4-5 plays in a row but running him out there for one doesn't mean much.

Patience.
We'd be 6-2 if we had a kicking game for our first 7 games.

have't read pg 2 or 3 of this, but to think AM is better than DR is way off the mark... AM was a loser and was a cancer to his teammates.. DR is none of that. We have seen improved leadership from DR this last game as well. Heck, he's even doing a faux HH impersonation running the ball now. AM sucked. don 't create idiotic threads like this.

@mrscary

@Mr scary13

@Mr scary13

ummm -

so you don’t remember the 3 walkon starting WRs? Cade Warner was running fly patterns. You think that receiving corp was better than what we have now with Banks, Neyor and Barney? Really??
Please expand. Thx!
Ok, there may have been worse starting WR’s but the two hyped portal guys who had tons of experience — and lots of prior coaching by adults older than 25 — have been flops. You certainly agree with that? It’s no longer surprising we could nab them from the portal.

Ok, there may have been worse starting WR’s but the two hyped portal guys who had tons of experience — and lots of prior coaching by adults older than 25 — have been flops. You certainly agree with that? It’s no longer surprising we could nab them from the portal.
I haven't seen them drop easy balls. We have to scheme them open and I'm not sure Satterfield is able to do that. Raiola hasn't been willing since the Illinois game to throw 50/50 balls to them either. They're big strong guys who aren't going to outrun many DBs. Dylan needs to give them a chance to make plays.

I haven't seen them drop easy balls. We have to scheme them open and I'm not sure Satterfield is able to do that. Raiola hasn't been willing since the Illinois game to throw 50/50 balls to them either. They're big strong guys who aren't going to outrun many DBs. Dylan needs to give them a chance to make plays.
Maybe not drops but the first two INTs were balls ripped from their arms.

Satterfield the problem.. I would have liked to seen HH go in after the interception since we were inside the 10 and run package with him not just one measly play, it does no good to trot him out there for one play..
It does no good to trot him out at all.

Just going off of stats

Yes - AM had a better frosh year than Raiola is having. The last 3 games - Raiola has dropped from 75% completion percentage into the high 60s. He’s regressed. Much of that can be attributed to the competition. The overthrows to wide open receivers in the end zone? Very costly in our losses to Illinois and Ohio State.
I also believe that Satterfield and what he does with Raiola has been figured out and schemed for.

Have you recalled a Satterfield coached team where you felt like he out coached the other team in the second half?

We are in the second half of the season. Def coordinators from other teams have him dead to rights.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT