ADVERTISEMENT

Question for those at the game today ...

TheHuskeRed

Sophomore
Dec 9, 2006
So I was there and I sit behind the first base dugout about even with the mound. In those seats I get a great view of the action especially for right handed batters. Top of nine, bases loaded with Spartans, one down, full count 3-2 on the batter. From the naked eye, what I saw was a pitch from our reliever Alvarado that was a bit up and inside (I'm pretty sure it was ball 4 and would have walked in a run). As the ball hit the catchers glove, it looked like the ball popped out of his mitt and hit the bat of the Spartan batter and Jesse caught the ball off his bat and the ump says foul tip caught strike 3. I could be wrong and in fact the ball hit the bat before it hit his glove but I swear it was the other way around and it was a pitch up and out of the zone for ball 4 and AFTER it hit his mitt for ball 4 it popped out and hit his bat. Was anybody else there who saw it the same, or was I too pumped up and my eyes were playing tricks on me. Their coach came out to argue and there batter just stood in the box stunned with the call. Not sure what the rules state but if a ball is out of the zone, pops out of the catchers mitt and hits the bat (and by the way the batter didn't offer at it) how can that be ruled a foul tip strike three?

Yeah it was weird. The batter swung and as he swung the ball actually nipped his arm which counts as a foul tip since it happened via the swing. Wilkening then caught the ball which would finish the strikeout. The real question wasn't that the aforementioned happened or not but whether the ball hit the batter after Wilkening juggled the initial foul tip. Apparently the umpire stated the batter did not interfere with the result of the play and was called out.

What are the odds we'd see that and a triple play in the same game? Told my wife that of all the years of playing and watching baseball you can never fully say you've seen it all.

Reactions: saluno22
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT