ADVERTISEMENT

Question for any programmers on this board

Catch50

Athletic Director
Feb 5, 2003
I work for a large organization. I would like opinions on what is the best platform/language to use in large organizations. I am perhaps four years from retirement but I still want to know;

1) scalability for databases
2) ease of creating user interfaces linked to databases
3) ease of creating web interfaces
4) security
5) learning curve

Java, Java script, Python, asp.net. c++, R, SAS. ??? Any others.

Thank you very much.

Take a look at React/Recharts for quick and easy JavaScript based web pages. Bit of a change of mindset (at least for me) but getting the hang of it now. Free - get what you pay for - documentation of API is weak. AmCharts looks like a better paid package. JavaScript is not strongly typed (to say the least) but you get used to it.

For non-web page C# app with heavy duty charts/GUI, take a look at DevExpress. Support for both WPF and Winforms support. Oxycharts is a free but less capable charting package for the C# environment. SQL in C# is straight forward with easy full security support.

Take a look at React/Recharts for quick and easy JavaScript based web pages. Bit of a change of mindset (at least for me) but getting the hang of it now. Free - get what you pay for - documentation of API is weak. AmCharts looks like a better paid package. JavaScript is not strongly typed (to say the least) but you get used to it.

For non-web page C# app with heavy duty charts/GUI, take a look at DevExpress. Support for both WPF and Winforms support. Oxycharts is a free but less capable charting package for the C# environment. SQL in C# is straight forward with easy full security support.

Thanks.

Not enough info here to decide. I'd want to know where the company is located, what the skillset of the current staff is, what already is in place, and some examples of the types of projects you're doing.

You don't even know what that is, do you?

JERRY: Alright, alright. Alright, that’s enough! Let’s get back to my deal. That undercoating, that’s just a rip-off, isn’t it, David?

PUDDY: Oh, we don’t even know what it is.

I work for a large organization. I would like opinions on what is the best platform/language to use in large organizations. I am perhaps four years from retirement but I still want to know;

4) security
5) learning curve

Thank you very much.
Create Web Services in C# wherever you can and have them interact with one another. In a large organization, there are virtual towers of responsibility everywhere, and this lends itself to creating web services that other departments can consume and or integrate with. It is easy enough that even some junior level programmers can do it in C#.net

Your databases can be in MS SQL Server or MySQL or some other variant. I would avoid Oracle due to the complexity and cost.

If you want to go the SAS route, then make a very large budget for salesforce.com, and be prepared for years of headaches, but the nice thing is you always have the vendor to blame if things don't work as planned and if you don't want to deal with security in a home grown solution.

Create Web Services in C# wherever you can and have them interact with one another. In a large organization, there are virtual towers of responsibility everywhere, and this lends itself to creating web services that other departments can consume and or integrate with. It is easy enough that even some junior level programmers can do it in C#.net

Your databases can be in MS SQL Server or MySQL or some other variant. I would avoid Oracle due to the complexity and cost.

If you want to go the SAS route, then make a very large budget for salesforce.com, and be prepared for years of headaches, but the nice thing is you always have the vendor to blame if things don't work as planned and if you don't want to deal with security in a home grown solution.

That seems like a very good answer. Thank you.

There isn't really enough information to answer your questions. Snapping out answers like C# is dangerously bad given your questions. Almost all of your numbered points have nothing to do with the language you use.

Here are my questions in return as most large orgs don't have a single language:

1. Where are you located? This matters for finding people with the skills you will need.
2. What is the eco-system of your current organization?
3. What business is your organization in? Can you utilize shrink-wrapped packages like SAP?
4. Does your IT department write a lot of software? Ours not only writes software for our customers, but also for our employees to use internally. We also write software for custom hardware. We also have the need for analytics. We have to deploy to PCs, mobile devices, tablets, and custom hardware. As you can see, you get very complex answers based on what you do.
5. How is your internal IT handled and how long has it been around? Is it a build-first kind or org or a buy first kind of org? My org, for example, uses Windows almost exclusively for desktop work. For running our software systems developed in-house, we use Linux almost exclusively except in those cases where we have IBM mainframes in place. For web developers, they all have Macs for web and mobile development. In a large org like ours, we use 5 or 6 flavors of assembly language, a couple of flavors of Cobol, Ruby, Python, bash scripts, perl scripts, C, C++, Java, Javascript, and a sprinkling of .net here and there. We mainly use Oracle but have DB2, Sql Server, Hadoop, MS Access, and probably 4 or 5 more flavors of other databases here and there. We use Teradata for long-term storage and reporting access. We have things like SAP and other major 3rd party software systems integrated with our ecosystem.

P.S. Although I tried to block it out and forget, we also have some very major financial systems still written in Visual Basic.

Not enough info here to decide. I'd want to know where the company is located, what the skillset of the current staff is, what already is in place, and some examples of the types of projects you're doing.

I saw your post but have not yet had time to reply. Hopefully a few more days. Thanks.

There isn't really enough information to answer your questions. Snapping out answers like C# is dangerously bad given your questions. Almost all of your numbered points have nothing to do with the language you use.

Here are my questions in return as most large orgs don't have a single language:

1. Where are you located? This matters for finding people with the skills you will need.
3. What business is your organization in? Can you utilize shrink-wrapped packages like SAP?
4. Does your IT department write a lot of software? Ours not only writes software for our customers, but also for our employees to use internally. We also write software for custom hardware. We also have the need for analytics. We have to deploy to PCs, mobile devices, tablets, and custom hardware. As you can see, you get very complex answers based on what you do.
5. How is your internal IT handled and how long has it been around? Is it a build-first kind or org or a buy first kind of org? My org, for example, uses Windows almost exclusively for desktop work. For running our software systems developed in-house, we use Linux almost exclusively except in those cases where we have IBM mainframes in place. For web developers, they all have Macs for web and mobile development. In a large org like ours, we use 5 or 6 flavors of assembly language, a couple of flavors of Cobol, Ruby, Python, bash scripts, perl scripts, C, C++, Java, Javascript, and a sprinkling of .net here and there. We mainly use Oracle but have DB2, Sql Server, Hadoop, MS Access, and probably 4 or 5 more flavors of other databases here and there. We use Teradata for long-term storage and reporting access. We have things like SAP and other major 3rd party software systems integrated with our ecosystem.

P.S. Although I tried to block it out and forget, we also have some very major financial systems still written in Visual Basic.

I saw your post but have not yet had time to reply. Hopefully a few more days. Thanks.

It actually depends on many factors. Starting with the field you work in and ending with the work volume. As someone said above, for quick and easy, it's JavaScript. You won't find a better language for these purposes. If you need a non-web page, here you have C++. SQL is something else. You can use SQL inside C++ straightforward with easy, full security support. So, it depends on your needs. However, talking about SQL, don't you know how to copy database sql server? I'm working on a new project, and I really need to do that, as I need two different SQL servers with the same information.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: WHCSC

4) security
5) learning curve

Thank you very much.
A few "run the damn ball" guys will suggest COBOL.

Is that VB 6, or .NET. I know that C# is the sexy choice but I kind of like VB.Net better. I avoid Java or Java script. The damn frameworks change every 10 minutes. If you want to make a real impact become a Scrum Master :)

We are migrating all of our stuff to Google Cloud. So, that covers a lot of the infrastructure stuff. There is a learning curve to it though. As far as programming languages, we are using Python, Java, Node.js. Whatever makes the most sense for the type of application is that we are developing. It also has to be supportable by our Agile Teams, and not just a single developer.

Painful? Dotnetcore isn’t classic .NET. .NET6 is amazing.

I hate all of it. Part of it is probably how I came up as a developer, but JS, RoR, and Node are all so much easier I just bang my head against the wall any time I need to do .net.

I am no expert, but my son has a lot of experience and several patents and copyrights. He works for the second largest insurance company in the U.S. and said he uses c# for whatever that is worth.

I am no expert, but my son has a lot of experience and several patents and copyrights. He works for the second largest insurance company in the U.S. and said he uses c# for whatever that is worth.

Yeah, in that sector, that's not surprising.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT