ADVERTISEMENT

Q. Who is going to win the Big Ten?

k9_r

Offensive Coordinator
Jul 31, 2010
A. Indiana

Indiana is 7-2 and has already beaten OSU 3-0, PSU 2-1 and Iowa 2-1

They have five opponents left,
@ Illinois (3-6) who could muster just one win each v us and Michigan and who lost their NW series.
Maryland, toughest opponent left but Indiana will be home for this series.
@ Northwestern
Purdue
@ MSU

I'm not say they have a lock but they do have a big lead and not many losses left on their schedule. Nice schedule, Hoosiers. No Nebraska, no Michigan, no Rutgers.

I know, I know, way too freakin' early to be crowning a champ but, I'm saying, Indiana has jumped out to a sizable lead and not a whole lot of obstacles left.

Hey folks. Maryland guy that often lurks on boards of other B1G baseball programs.

One thing to keep in mind is that Maryland probably lost their Sunday starter for the year yesterday (hit in the face by a line drive).

Also, about Indiana -- they have the same number of losses as Nebraska and Maryland. It does appear that they have the easiest path, but other teams still control their own destiny to some extent.

Hey folks. Maryland guy that often lurks on boards of other B1G baseball programs.

One thing to keep in mind is that Maryland probably lost their Sunday starter for the year yesterday (hit in the face by a line drive).

Also, about Indiana -- they have the same number of losses as Nebraska and Maryland. It does appear that they have the easiest path, but other teams still control their own destiny to some extent.
Welcome to the board! Happy to see other B1G baseball fans.

Sorry about your Sunday guy, that's awful :(

Yeah, it's a long season...OP is right though, the remaining teams on Indiana's schedule certainly aren't intimidating outside of you guys.

Your schedule is definitely tougher than Indiana's but of course that doesn't mean much.

Hopefully that first weekend in May will end any title hopes for ya ;)

There's still a lot of teams that have a shot. Probably another couple weeks before we get a real clear picture of the race.

Man - oh - man, I just watched that on replay. It's amazing that it didn't knock him down. The fact that he immediately headed for the dugout is a tell. It's a sign he was in shock and headed for safety. Sure hope he's OK. Comebackers like that have caused serious injury.

It's wise to look at the losses in these examples where the games played is out of balance due to the Big Ten's irrational scheduling to include bye weeks.

Basically what I did in the OP was to take yet another shot at the Big Ten and their thoughtless scheduling. You might not know this but we at Nebraska take every opportunity to burn the Big Ten. And especially for treating baseball as an unloved orphan child. Screw 'em.

B. Nebraska.

The only thing standing in the way of the Huskers having the same record through three series as Indiana is three home games against Northwestern. After that, the two road series vs. Iowa and Maryland are the heavy lifting. The rest of the conference schedule features no games against teams currently in the top 146 of the RPI. That guarantees nothing but, at this point, I see NU and IU finishing in the top two spots. A first-place tie wouldn't be surprising. Assuming there's not rain in the area of West Lafayette on May 20. :)

So we just need to win out is what you are saying. ;)

Michigan State is a sneaky decent team as well, so we will see how they do. Ohio State and Penn State are not good though, so it really came down to winning a series against a team that hasn’t won a conference series yet in Iowa. So hard to predict this early.

Nebraska needs to sweep their home games though to have any chance. It sucks but it is what it is at this point.

B. Nebraska.

The only thing standing in the way of the Huskers having the same record through three series as Indiana is three home games against Northwestern. After that, the two road series vs. Iowa and Maryland are the heavy lifting. The rest of the conference schedule features no games against teams currently in the top 146 of the RPI. That guarantees nothing but, at this point, I see NU and IU finishing in the top two spots. A first-place tie wouldn't be surprising. Assuming there's not rain in the area of West Lafayette on May 20. :)
Good point about Purdue rain.

The rest of the conference schedule features no games against teams currently in the top 146 of the RPI. That guarantees nothing but, at this point, I see NU and IU finishing in the top two spots. A first-place tie wouldn't be surprising.
I should mention Rutgers. Right now they're 2-4 and hosting Michigan this week. After that...
@ Purdue
@ Northwestern
Penn St
Illinois
@Minnesota.

This is a good team with a rough start but there's likely not many losses going forward.

Reactions: RobsterMobster
Man - oh - man, I just watched that on replay. It's amazing that it didn't knock him down. The fact that he immediately headed for the dugout is a tell. It's a sign he was in shock and headed for safety. Sure hope he's OK. Comebackers like that have caused serious injury.

It's wise to look at the losses in these examples where the games played is out of balance due to the Big Ten's irrational scheduling to include bye weeks.

Basically what I did in the OP was to take yet another shot at the Big Ten and their thoughtless scheduling. You might not know this but we at Nebraska take every opportunity to burn the Big Ten. And especially for treating baseball as an unloved orphan child. Screw 'em.
I thought you guys might like to know this. Kyle McCoy had no broken bones, and his jaw and teeth are good. The broadcasters of tonight's game said he will skip this weekend's series with Ohio State and be back for the next weekend...

I thought you guys might like to know this. Kyle McCoy had no broken bones, and his jaw and teeth are good. The broadcasters of tonight's game said he will skip this weekend's series with Ohio State and be back for the next weekend...
Happened to one of our pitchers years ago. They wired his jaw shut and he pitched again not too long later.

Glad to hear he's ok!

Reactions: dconifer
Indiana hands down. What I like that Indiana did in the offseason is play as tough of a schedule as they could. When you play in a bad conference, playing a strong OOC schedule will help you. You arent expected to win the games against the tough OOC teams but if you steal a few wins it ups your RPI.

Then you get into a weak conference schedule and you have already played damn good teams and B1G teams seem like a walk in the park. You win the regular season conference championship, do well in the conference tourney then get a 1 or 2 seed and possibly host the regional.

Currently I think they sit at 38 for SOS. Next best in B1G is Nebraska at like 58 or something like that which still isnt horrible with Iowa right behind that. Iowa has fell off the wagon a little bit when it came to conference. Nebraska cant seem to want to win the bad non confeence games.

If Indiana dont run away with the confernce championship with at least a weekend series to go I will be shocked.

🤣🤣🤣

7hty3h.jpg

New week, new results, new guess. Here's my criteria.
- Current record.
- Number of remaining games. Fewer games = fewer chances for losses.
- Number of top opponents left.
- Weakest of the weak left on schedule.
- Eyeball test. Really, some teams are just better than others.
- Home or away vs top opponents.
- Head to head already settled.

Here's my current Eight for Omaha (our tourney).
Remaining schedule in parenthesis and bolded opponents are among these top eight.
1, MD 6-3 (Pur, @ IN, NE, MN, @ PSU) - Record, eyeball test, NE at home, Head2Head v IA & RU.
2. IN 9-3 (Bye, MD, @ NW, Pur, @ MSU) - Record, just four series left, MD at home, H2H v IA.
3. N 7-2 (@ IA, MN, @ MD, PSU, @ Pur) - Record, eyeball test, H2H vs MI & IL, loses points for road games.
4. RU 4-5 (@ NW, @ Pur, PSU, IL, @ MN) - Eyeball test, wow - that schedule, beat MI but lost to MSU & MD.
5. MI 7-5 (MSU, Bye, @ MN, NW, @ OSU) - Four series left, eyeball test, weak schd, H2H losses v NE & RU.
6. IA 4-5 (NE, @ PSU, OSU, MSU, @ NW) - I don't know, lost close games to MD & IN + a MN loss. Donno.
7. IL 4-8 (MN, @ OSU, MSU, @ RU, Bye) - H2H losses to NE, MI & IN. Likely stays top 8 b/c bottom 5 - terrible.
8. MSU 6-3 (@ MI, NW, @ IL, @ IA, IN) - Brutal schedule.

Here's the also rans. Wow, tough schedules ahead.
Pur (7-5) @ MD, RU, Bye, @ IN, NE
OSU (3-9) @ PSU, IL, @ IA, MI
MN (4-5) @ IL, @ NE, MI, @ MD, RU
PSU (2-7) OSU, IA, @ RU, @ NE, MD
NW (3-6) RU, @ MSU, IN, @ MI, IA

Looking to see who can beat chalk this week.

What’s your best guess on the record of the winner of the regular season crown? 18-6? Better?

What’s your best guess on the record of the winner of the regular season crown? 18-6? Better?
If the winner comes in at 19-5 or better I like our chances better than the others. We only have two losses and everyone else has three or more.

18-6 sounds about right and 17-7 is right in the mix as well. There's some critical series ahead for each of the leaders. I'll go with you at 18-6.

That actually sets us up decently for Omaha with the 3 seed. Assuming we can out pitch Iowa’s ace.

11th in the nation in fielding percentage
17th in the nation in BA
40th in the nation in ERA
20th in HR’s but 12th in HR’s per game
38th in OBP
7th in slugging percentage
32nd K to W ratio
12th in WHIP
20th in walks allowed per 9 innings

We had a bad OOC schedule although those teams were much better the year prior when we scheduled them. Unfortunately everyone we got in conference have been shit as well. No excuses for the midweek slumber as that can’t happen when you know your RPI is crap.

However, those who are already off the Bolt train were most likely against it from the beginning.

Last year was inexcusable but did anyone expect this much of an improvement with portal transfers and current player development? Gives me hope at least.

I had the fortune to talk with Anderson and Matthews after Sundays game and both said their development under Bolt was light years than where they thought they’d be. He makes the approach at the plate feel so simple. A lot of it was what he and Harvell instill mentally. I am confident they are gone after this year but both give Bolt and crew a ton of credit for their development.

If the winner comes in at 19-5 or better I like our chances better than the others. We only have two losses and everyone else has three or more.

18-6 sounds about right and 17-7 is right in the mix as well. There's some critical series ahead for each of the leaders. I'll go with you at 18-6.
Can Nebraska win eight against Minnesota, Penn State and Purdue? Perhaps a tall task but I think this team is capable. Doing so would mean needing to go 3-3 against Iowa and Maryland to get to 18-6.

That’s how to win the thing, right? Rack up wins against the lesser teams and hold serve against the good ones?

Reactions: saluno22 and k9_r
Can Nebraska win eight against Minnesota, Penn State and Purdue? Perhaps a tall task but I think this team is capable. Doing so would mean needing to go 3-3 against Iowa and Maryland to get to 18-6.

That’s how to win the thing, right? Rack up wins against the lesser teams and hold serve against the good ones?
I think we have to sweep Minnesota and Penn State and win 2/3 against Purdue personally to give us some breathing room against Maryland and Iowa. Of course this weekend will be huge into that reasoning and hoping we take 2/3. Maryland I see a possible 1/3 type of weekend unless our pitching is very consistent.

So based on what you just said I see it as dead on based on how I broke it out in my own thoughts.

Reactions: saluno22 and k9_r
@dconifer do you know what’s wrong with Lorruso? Saw he got to first and instantly left the game. I was assuming hammy but BTN never followed up.

New week, new results, new guesses.

Everyone has four or five weeks done and head to head is coming into play so I've included that in parentheses on everyone's line. The bolded entries are the critical games left and important H2Hs.

IN (9-3) MD, @ NW, Pur, @ MSU (W - OSU, PSU, IA, ILL) (L - None)
MD (8-4) @ IN, NE, MN, @ PSU (W - IA, RU, OSU, Pur) (L- None)
MI (9-6) Bye, @ MN, NW, @ OSU (W - PSU, ILL, MSU) (L - NU, RU)
IA (7-5) @ PSU, OSU, MSU, @ NW (W - NU, MN) (L- MD, IN)
N (7-5) MN, @ MD, PSU, @ Pur (W - ILL, MI, NW) (L - IA)
RU (7-5) @ Pur, PSU, IL, @ MN (W - MI, NW) (L - MSU, MD)
MSU (7-5) NW, @ IL, @ IA, IN (W - Pur, RU. OSU) (L - MI)
IL (7-8) @ OSU, MSU, @ RU, Bye (W - (L - NU, MI, NW, IN)

Also rans
Pur (8-7) RU, Bye, @ IN, NE (W - NW MN, PSU) (L - MSU, MD)
PSU (5-7) IA, @ RU, @ NE, MD (W - OSU) (L - MI, IN, Pur)
MN (4-8) @ NE, MI, @ MD, RU (W - OSU) (L- Pur, IA, ILL)
NW (3-9) @ MSU, IN, @ MI, IA (W - ILL) (L - Pur, NU, RU)
OSU (3-12) IL, @ IA, Bye, MI (L - IN, MN, MSU, MD, PSU)

This is a six team race to the title. Indiana and Maryland meet this week and that will start up the shakeout action. It's my thinking that each of the six can take the title if things break favorably for them but a few teams do have a leg up on the others.

Indiana - Very, very favorable schedule all year long. When it's all over they will have faced just two of the top six and already own the H2H with Iowa. If they beat Maryland, just go ahead and ink them in for the title. One or two seed (ty schedule).

Maryland - Toughest remaining schedule. Fortunately for them they are good enough to not care. If they get past Indiana and us, well there's your champ. Also, Maryland will have faced four of the top six and already have set down Iowa and Rutgers. Legit one or two seed.

Michigan - Just like Indiana, a putz of a conference schedule all season long. They too faced only a pair of the top six. Oh, and they've lost to both of them. Still, they have a leg up - they only have three conference weeks left and it is a soft three weeks coming up. Too bad about those six losses but their schedule could give them a two or three seed and I would hate that. Schedule, SMFH.

Iowa - Schedule caught three of the top six, beat us, lost to MD and IN. Easy schedule left. Three - five seed. Won't get a two seed b/c H2H losses.

Nebraska - Needed to beat Iowa, still, a two to four seed is in reach. Want to win the title? Pray for unexpected losses among the few at the top. Could happen I suppose, it's the Big Ten.

Rutgers - Do not sleep on Rutgers. Only five losses and a made to order schedule left. Annnnnd, this is yet another top team with just two of the top six on schedule. A two seed is not out of reach.

Have I trashed Big Ten scheduling enough? What a piece of crap. Just look at the bolds on each line. Three of the top six face just two of the best. Three of the bottom five face five of the best and the other bottom two face four of them. Baseball - Big Ten's ugly step child.

Wow, this went long, sorry about that. Everyone OK?

Last edited:
Everyone is chasing Maryland now. Who's ready to crown the Terps today? Yeah, me neither. Let the games begin.

Everyone is chasing Maryland now. Who's ready to crown the Terps today? Yeah, me neither. Let the games begin.
They look good but I do feel we somewhat matchup better with them than Iowa. Who knows. We are a weird team this year.

They look good but I do feel we somewhat matchup better with them than Iowa. Who knows. We are a weird team this year.
If Maryland wins we'll all be chasing the 2 and 3 seeds. If we win. this title chase will get very interesting.

I'm still disgusted how Michigan is in the mix for the title. We are the toughest team they've faced they and only have @ MN, NW, @ OSU left.

I've been sort of disrespecting MSU all along but it's been b/c they've got some lifting to do. @ IL, @ IA then IN has a passel of potential losses in there. We'll see.

With one week of conference play left, there are six teams still with a chance to finish first and not only do none of them play each other, but they all play the bottom six teams. All of them on the road. Perfect symmetry in the wrong direction. Thanks again, Big Ten schedulers. Here's what each team left in contention needs to do to finish in at least a tie for first:

1. Maryland (15-6): Win 3 at Penn State. Or win 2 and have Indiana win 2 or less. Or win 1 and have Indiana win 1 or less, and everyone else win 2 or less. Or win none, have Indiana win none and everyone else win 1 or less. Has the tiebreaker vs. Indiana, Iowa and Nebraska.
1. Indiana (15-6): Win 3 at Michigan State. Or win 2 and have Maryland win 2 or less. Or win 1 and have Maryland win 1 or less, and everyone else win 2 or less. Or win none, have Maryland win none and everyone else win 1 or less. Has the tiebreaker vs. Iowa.
3. Iowa (13-7): Win 3 at Northwestern and have Maryland and Indiana both win 1 or less. Or win 2, have Maryland and Indiana win none, and nobody else sweep. Has the tiebreaker vs. Nebraska.
4. Nebraska (13-8): Win 3 at Purdue and have Maryland, Indiana and Iowa all win 1 or less. Or win 2 and have Maryland, Indiana and Iowa all win none, and Rutgers and Michigan win 2 or less. Has the tiebreaker vs. Michigan.
4. Rutgers (13-8): Win 3 at Minnesota and have Maryland, Indiana and Iowa all win 1 or less. Or win 2 and have Maryland, Indiana and Iowa all win none, and Nebraska and Michigan win 2 or less. Has the tiebreaker vs. Michigan.
4. Michigan (13-8): Win 3 at Ohio State and have Maryland, Indiana and Iowa all win 1 or less. Or win 2 and have Maryland, Indiana and Iowa all win none, and Nebraska and Rutgers win 2 or less.

If there are multi-team ties, the tiebreakers for tournament seeding could get messy. The first tiebreaker is head-to-head, but only if all the tied teams have played each other. After that, it's record in common games. Then it's RPI. Yuck.

The logjam is partly because these six teams haven't played each other very much. Here's how many series the contenders have played against the others:

Maryland - 4
Iowa - 3
Nebraska - 3
Indiana - 2
Rutgers - 2
Michigan - 2

My expectation is that none of the fourth-place teams have a chance. And Iowa will sweep Northwestern but finish third. Can Maryland win the outright title it deserves?

Last edited:
With one week of conference play left, there are six teams still with a chance to finish first and not only do none of them play each other, but they all play the bottom six teams. All of them on the road. Perfect symmetry in the wrong direction. Thanks again, Big Ten schedulers. Here's what each team left in contention needs to do to finish in at least a tie for first:

1. Maryland (15-6): Win 3 at Penn State. Or win 2 and have Indiana win 2 or less. Or win 1 and have Indiana win 1 or less, and everyone else win 2 or less. Or win none, have Indiana win none and everyone else win 1 or less. Has the tiebreaker vs. Indiana, Iowa and Nebraska.
1. Indiana (15-6): Win 3 at Michigan State. Or win 2 and have Maryland win 2 or less. Or win 1 and have Maryland win 1 or less, and everyone else win 2 or less. Or win none, have Maryland win none and everyone else win 1 or less. Has the tiebreaker vs. Iowa.
3. Iowa (13-7): Win 3 at Northwestern and have Maryland and Indiana both win 1 or less. Or win 2, have Maryland and Indiana win none, and nobody else sweep. Has the tiebreaker vs. Nebraska.
4. Nebraska (13-8): Win 3 at Purdue and have Maryland, Indiana and Iowa all win 1 or less. Or win 2 and have Maryland, Indiana and Iowa all win none, and Rutgers and Michigan win 2 or less. Has the tiebreaker vs. Michigan.
4. Rutgers (13-8): Win 3 at Minnesota and have Maryland, Indiana and Iowa all win 1 or less. Or win 2 and have Maryland, Indiana and Iowa all win none, and Nebraska and Michigan win 2 or less. Has the tiebreaker vs. Michigan.
4. Michigan (13-8): Win 3 at Ohio State and have Maryland, Indiana and Iowa all win 1 or less. Or win 2 and have Maryland, Indiana and Iowa all win none, and Nebraska and Rutgers win 2 or less.

If there are multi-team ties, the tiebreakers for tournament seeding could get messy. The first tiebreaker is head-to-head, but only if all the tied teams have played each other. After that, it's record in common games. Then it's RPI. Yuck.

The logjam is partly because these six teams haven't played each other very much. Here's how many series the contenders have played against the others:

Maryland - 4
Iowa - 3
Nebraska - 3
Indiana - 2
Rutgers - 2
Michigan - 2

My expectation is that none of the fourth-place teams have a chance. And Iowa will sweep Northwestern but finish third. Can Maryland win the outright title it deserves?
Good stuff.

Can Maryland win the outright title it deserves?
Count me in as an MSU fan this week. Although, had Maryland not lost a game to Minnesota..., yeah.

Maryland - 4
Iowa - 3
Nebraska - 3
Indiana - 2
Rutgers - 2
Michigan - 2
Now here I want to add an exclamation point to this Big Ten schedule crap.
The bottom seven all faced at least four of the top six teams with NW meeting five and Penn St playing all six.

Take a note, Indiana, Rutgers and Michigan, you might not be who you think you are and you can thank the Big Ten for clouding up the issue.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT