ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue/Nebraska

Which makes me wonder why Smothers hasn't been given a chance, I think he's a better runner than Purdy. The one thing I don't like about Whipple offense, he doesn't roll out the QB as much a he should and Smothers would be perfect doing it.

That's 100% on the money sir. Smothers is very, very quick.

It'll be 33 if we pull that shit from Friday night
Not so sure. I have to watch Purdue games because I am married to one of their alumni. They can shoot themselves in the foot with a penalty or turnover to end a drive. I would not say they have the most dynamic offense. They are tough, though. If the “Boys” keep their heads up and play D like they did most of last Friday night and the O can create a little more offense I think they will be in the game with a chance to win.

the announcer was saying thompson bolted from the pocket too fast sometimes...well if he's gonna do that he should run for some yards..or maybe hit the rb for some passes instead of him blocking a empty pocket, he has the arm to do it.

All this BS talk of Smothers needs to just stop. We have running backs, very good ones, that need to be running the ball. We have CT, a better passer than Smothers by a large amount, and big play receivers. Smothers brings nothing additional to the table. CT can take off and run it if he needs to, and has done it on a limited basis, which is all you want to do anyway. Smothers is not the answer, and by all looks, neither is Purdy. This December, we better hit the portal hard for more QB's as well as linemen, because by all accounts, we only have 1 serviceable QB on the roster and no serviceable offensive linemen.

All this BS talk of Smothers needs to just stop. We have running backs, very good ones, that need to be running the ball. We have CT, a better passer than Smothers by a large amount, and big play receivers. Smothers brings nothing additional to the table. CT can take off and run it if he needs to, and has done it on a limited basis, which is all you want to do anyway. Smothers is not the answer, and by all looks, neither is Purdy. This December, we better hit the portal hard for more QB's as well as linemen, because by all accounts, we only have 1 serviceable QB on the roster and no serviceable offensive linemen.
Agreed. Smothers is not the answer. Nothing is the answer scheme-wise. The answer is to get better players on the offensive line. Until that happens we will continue to struggle on offense no matter what style it is. We cannot run the ball well and we cannot pass protect well because our offensive line sucks at both. And you can only call so many quick slants or screens or quick swing passes to the flat before the defense adjusts and takes that shit away too. The fact is that right now we have very, very few options on offense since nothing will work if the line stinks.

Purdue is going to burst our two game winning streak bubble this week and I doubt it will even be close. I think we lose by two touchdowns or more. The test of Mickey's caliber as a coach will be evident after that game. We CAN beat Illinois the week after and if we do that will keep us in the hunt for a bowl. That is all we can hope for right now until we can hit the portal for next year and get better on the offensive line. Until then we can only claw and scrape and try to win despite our horrible line.

I’d agree, but after Michigan I would say Purdue and Minnesota are our 3 toughest games the second half of the season..
Oh a 100%. We are talking covering the spread. I just don't see us getting a mudhole stomped in us except for maybe Michigan. Like I said, I think Purdue wins, but to me it'll be a close game. I think we are going to go after Purdue's linebackers in coverage. They are slow and are not good against crossing routes.

There is knowledge and then there is application of that knowledge. I will leave it at that.
Look at the numbers his offense is putting up and our red zone efficiency. He’s applying the knowledge just fine especially considering the limitations of our O line. There isn’t a single guy on our O line who is going to get a sniff of the NFL

Oh a 100%. We are talking covering the spread. I just don't see us getting a mudhole stomped in us except for maybe Michigan. Like I said, I think Purdue wins, but to me it'll be a close game. I think we are going to go after Purdue's linebackers in coverage. They are slow and are not good against crossing routes.
Having Graham back is a big deal for this defense. He is an NFL LBer that got hurt vs PSU. If Nebraska goes pass happy, I could see Purdue playing a lot of Graham, Wahlberg, and Jefferson

Having Graham back is a big deal for this defense. He is an NFL LBer that got hurt vs PSU. If Nebraska goes pass happy, I could see Purdue playing a lot of Graham, Wahlberg, and Jefferson
Maybe the case, but every game I've tuned in to Purdue, your LBers really struggle covering against crossing routes in the middle. Lucky for Purdue, they won't face a ton of teams that really does that offensively. We might be one of those teams. We still lose the game, but hopefully we make your LB'ers work for everything because they don't match up well with our WR's if we get them the ball. Our OL may not give us that chance.

Purdue covers. #changemymind
Purdue is 3-3 ATS, 2 of the 3 wins were as road underdogs. They have been a home favorite 2 times, and are 1-1. The win was against Indiana St where they were 37 pt favors and the loss was against a pitiful FAU team where they were a 16.5 pt favor.

Now I will ask, covers the 13.5 or covers whatever the number ends up at on Saturday? Nebraska bettors will bring that 13.5 number down.

I see a 35-27 game. I think Purdue wins but Nebraska covers and the total will go over the 58. But I will probably put a couple of bucks on a Nebraska Moneyline at +350, just for fun

Maybe the case, but every game I've tuned in to Purdue, your LBers really struggle covering against crossing routes in the middle. Lucky for Purdue, they won't face a ton of teams that really does that offensively. We might be one of those teams. We still lose the game, but hopefully we make your LB'ers work for everything because they don't match up well with our WR's if we get them the ball. Our OL may not give us that chance.
Graham played week 1 and Saturday vs Maryland. Misisng Brothers and Jefferson. I agree though. Outside of those 3, there isn't a ton of speed and the LB, LB/S hybrid spot. I'm honestly amazed at how good the run D is because of the LB's. Helps when the Dline rotates 3 deep at every spot though.

Jalen Graham is back… he’s an elite linebacker in coverage as well…

Purdue is 3-3 ATS, 2 of the 3 wins were as road underdogs. They have been a home favorite 2 times, and are 1-1. The win was against Indiana St where they were 37 pt favors and the loss was against a pitiful FAU team where they were a 16.5 pt favor.

Now I will ask, covers the 13.5 or covers whatever the number ends up at on Saturday? Nebraska bettors will bring that 13.5 number down.

I see a 35-27 game. I think Purdue wins but Nebraska covers and the total will go over the 58. But I will probably put a couple of bucks on a Nebraska Moneyline at +350, just for fun
I honestly won’t touch it, but if absolutely forced to choose at gunpoint, I would take Purdue to cover. If Purdue scores first and that line goes over 14.5 in game, I’ll get in. I’m still in full prove it mode and expect a complete meltdown on Saturday. Hoping that I missed a great opportunity to cash in on the Huskers being a double digit dog against Purdue. We’ve played some absolutely disastrous football teams and kept our head somewhat above water. Fools gold, but here’s hoping I’m wildly underestimating the steps we are taking!!

Agreed. Smothers is not the answer. Nothing is the answer scheme-wise. The answer is to get better players on the offensive line. Until that happens we will continue to struggle on offense no matter what style it is. We cannot run the ball well and we cannot pass protect well because our offensive line sucks at both. And you can only call so many quick slants or screens or quick swing passes to the flat before the defense adjusts and takes that shit away too. The fact is that right now we have very, very few options on offense since nothing will work if the line stinks.

Purdue is going to burst our two game winning streak bubble this week and I doubt it will even be close. I think we lose by two touchdowns or more. The test of Mickey's caliber as a coach will be evident after that game. We CAN beat Illinois the week after and if we do that will keep us in the hunt for a bowl. That is all we can hope for right now until we can hit the portal for next year and get better on the offensive line. Until then we can only claw and scrape and try to win despite our horrible line.
How many OL from last year that played are back this season?

We're not going to be favored in any of the remaining games. Like I said in another thread, I don't think we win another game all year. Squeaking by shit teams doesn't mean anything has changed.

I think we still have a chance in this game, but the team has to keep taking steps forward.

The short yardage passing game will need to become a staple, and we can still hit the big play down field. It will be a cat and mouse game.. we will have to switch things up and then back again a few times. We have the athletes to beat Purdue, if we are firing on all cylinders and play mistake free, we still got a good shot.

Which makes me wonder why Smothers hasn't been given a chance, I think he's a better runner than Purdy. The one thing I don't like about Whipple offense, he doesn't roll out the QB as much a he should and Smothers would be perfect doing it.
Well he wouldn't be perfect, he still has to throw the ball with his rubber arm.

We're not going to be favored in any of the remaining games. Like I said in another thread, I don't think we win another game all year. Squeaking by shit teams doesn't mean anything has changed.

I just don’t get this. This was a team that sucked so bad they lost at home to Georgia Southern and shit canned their coach after three games. After that, beating Indiana and Rutgers sure has hell does mean something. It’s not a very talented team, and doesn’t have a very high ceiling, but somethings have definitely changed for the better.

I don’t know. They did play PSU close, but they also played Maryland, Syracuse and Florida Atlantic close.
Syracuse is 5-0 and ranked 18th. Maryland entered the Purdue game 4-1 with the only loss being a 7 point defeat to Michigan. FAU was without our starting QB ( backup is not good), starting RB and best defensive player. 2 of those 3 are back (RB still out).

Syracuse is 5-0 and ranked 18th. Maryland entered the Purdue game 4-1 with the only loss being a 7 point defeat to Michigan. FAU was without our starting QB ( backup is not good), starting RB and best defensive player. 2 of those 3 are back (RB still out).
Syracuse is a bit of a paper tiger. 3 of their wins are against teams with non winning records, a 4th is against Wagner, then Purdue.

Maryland is 4-0 vs teams with a non winning record and 0-2 against teams with a winning record.

Syracuse is a bit of a paper tiger. 3 of their wins are against teams with non winning records, a 4th is against Wagner, then Purdue.

Maryland is 4-0 vs teams with a non winning record and 0-2 against teams with a winning record.
Definitely not juggernauts but not bad teams either.

I just don’t get this. This was a team that sucked so bad they lost at home to Georgia Southern and shit canned their coach after three games. After that, beating Indiana and Rutgers sure has hell does mean something. It’s not a very talented team, and doesn’t have a very high ceiling, but somethings have definitely changed for the better.
Georgia Southern was better than both of the teams we just played.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT