ADVERTISEMENT

Pulled pork sandwich

Charlie, this is what you do. Buy a big pork butt for about 15 bucks at Bakers. Rub it down with some barbecue seasoning. There’s a million of them. Maybe add a touch of liquid smoke. Put it in a crockpot on low at 11 PM and go to bed. Wake up at 6 AM and you’ve got the beginnings of 20 pulled pork sandwiches. Freeze up 3/4 of it in a few Ziploc bags and you’ve got pulled pork sandwiches for every husker game this year.
I make my own rub and spread it on a pork butt very liberally, wrap in plastic wrap and overnight it in the refrigerator. There are all kinds of recipes in the web for the rub. Early the next morning I place the pork butt in an aluminum pan with a little water and apple cider vinegar then place it on the grates to my Weber propane barbeque. I only have one of the three burners on low. Do not have the pork butt directly above the burner that is on. The grill will be about 200 -225 degrees with the lid closed. Living in the Apple Captial of the World, I chip apple wood and soak overnight in water. I place these chips in a metal smoke box or I just wrap them up in aluminum foil with holes poked to allow the smoke to escape and the air in. Sometimes I use old basil plant stems I soak in red wine that I save from the summer before. I place them directly above the burner that is on. I keep the smoke going all day, turning the butt over about every 2 hours. It takes about all day to do it this way. Then I pull it and toss it in a spicy apple cider vinegar sauce that has mustard, brown sugar, paprika, garlic, salt, pepper, cumin, cayenne and other spices I have laying around. Get some fresh buns, dill pickles and make some cole slaw out of green cabbage. Pile the pork up on the bun, add the slaw and pickle. That is good eats. I never have any left to freeze. When I make it everyone wants some.

Charlie, this is what you do. Buy a big pork butt for about 15 bucks at Bakers. Rub it down with some barbecue seasoning. There’s a million of them. Maybe add a touch of liquid smoke. Put it in a crockpot on low at 11 PM and go to bed. Wake up at 6 AM and you’ve got the beginnings of 20 pulled pork sandwiches. Freeze up 3/4 of it in a few Ziploc bags and you’ve got pulled pork sandwiches for every husker game this year.
great-value-pulled-pork-in-bbq-sauce-pouch-2-6-oz-2.jpg

No good?

Bought an electric smoker a couple of weeks ago and smoked a couple of butts on it so far. Wife and I are trying to eliminate as much salt and seasonings as possible in our meals so zero seasonings or coatings but plenty of smoke….tastes great as is and pleasantly surprised how well the electric smoker does

Bought an electric smoker a couple of weeks ago and smoked a couple of butts on it so far. Wife and I are trying to eliminate as much salt and seasonings as possible in our meals so zero seasonings or coatings but plenty of smoke….tastes great as is and pleasantly surprised how well the electric smoker does

Curious why eliminating other seasoning? Salt I get, but why the other seasonings? I thought most of them were fine for your health?

Not a huge fan of pulled pork. But, Meat Church's Mexican pulled pork recipe is some of the best tacos I have eaten.
He also did a brisket with same recipe. I love brisket but didnt care for it.

Not a huge fan of pulled pork. But, Meat Church's Mexican pulled pork recipe is some of the best tacos I have eaten.
He also did a brisket with same recipe. I love brisket but didnt care for it.
Retired July 1st and moved to AR and decided to just dump all seasonings and start over if we needed anything….so far haven’t needed or missed anything

You're in a clear minority. Also, you might want to see if you have the COVID and have not yet had the sense of taste return.
Figured I would get someone making a smart ass comment by my response. Didn’t feel like going into the whole story but in addition to moving my wife fell and suffered a traumatic brain injury in May of last year and was in a coma and in the hospital and rehab most of last year and part of this year….I have been the chief cook and bottle washer since she returned home and you are a real funny guy to some I guess but not to me.

Figured I would get someone making a smart ass comment by my response. Didn’t feel like going into the whole story but in addition to moving my wife fell and suffered a traumatic brain injury in May of last year and was in a coma and in the hospital and rehab most of last year and part of this year….I have been the chief cook and bottle washer since she returned home and you are a real funny guy to some I guess but not to me.
I don't think BBQ without seasonings is funny either.

Sorry about your situation, but you clearly wanted to draw out a response like his so you could bring this up.

Tuco doesn't need me to defend him but I'm going to just say he clearly was not making fun of your wife's situation and I wonder if you took that a little to personal...

... Best of luck to the both of you...she's lucky to have you.

Sorry about your situation, but you clearly wanted to draw out a response like his so you could bring this up.
For you to even pretend to know anything about my situation with that response just shows me what kind of person you are…..I offered my reasoning twice and it still wasn’t good enough for several….I see why you have a high post count because you troll topics to show how smart you are

Tuco doesn't need me to defend him but I'm going to just say he clearly was not making fun of your wife's situation and I wonder if you took that a little to personal...

... Best of luck to the both of you...she's lucky to have you.

No offense towards you but I have been on message boards since many on here were in diapers or not even born yet and I have seldom (if ever) made a comment that I wouldn’t say to a persons face. TUCO made a smart ass comment that contributed zero to the topic and I may be a minority but smoked pulled pork tastes pretty dam good without any seasoning

No offense towards you but I have been on message boards since many on here were in diapers or not even born yet and I have seldom (if ever) made a comment that I wouldn’t say to a persons face. TUCO made a smart ass comment that contributed zero to the topic and I may be a minority but smoked pulled pork tastes pretty dam good without any seasoning
Just tossing a butt in the crock pot, with pretty much nothing or some soda or OJ, it comes out great.

No offense, that’s a lie, but anyway, without knowing the back story I would have definitely said to your face that you might want to get checked for Covid if you think a smoked piece of meat without any seasoning is on par with a seasoned smoked piece of meat.

That is like saying plain noodles are good. I guess they could be, but noodles with pasta sauce or butter/garlic are a whole lot better.

Additionally my post did add something to the discussion. Humor.

Not everything is a serious discussion.

You're being dooshy.

Just tossing a butt in the crock pot, with pretty much nothing or some soda or OJ, it comes out great.
This is true. If I had some sort of elimination tournament for all of my devices, I guarantee the crockpot would make it to the finals.

Tomorrow, I’m going to throw a pound of frozen ground beef in there, put it on low and not check on it for four hours. It will be done and all I have to do is drain off the grease, break it up and add seasoning. Tacos, maid rites, spaghetti, whatever. I’m lazy and I love easy.

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
You were on internet message boards in the 70s? Right on man.

This is true. If I had some sort of elimination tournament for all of my devices, I guarantee the crockpot would make it to the finals.

Tomorrow, I’m going to throw a pound of frozen ground beef in there, put it on low and not check on it for four hours. It will be done and all I have to do is drain off the grease, break it up and add seasoning. Tacos, maid rites, spaghetti, whatever. I’m lazy and I love easy.
Dude, YES!

I don't even "brown it" first, no need.

I know those 1970's housewives bitched about how hard it was to cook.

Nope...easy as ****.

• Haha
Reactions: Landomatic
I made a pulled pork pizza a few weeks back. Sweet Baby Ray's, caramelized onions, roasted jalapenos, pulled pork, whole milk mozzarella and colby jack, red onions.

91VBN7G.jpg
A order # sign in back ground that belongs to Whataburger.

Kansas City Joe's. It's in a Sinclair gas station. Order the 'Rocket Pig.' Was on the food channel. Pulled pork, pepper jack cheese, BBQ/Mayo sauce (the key) topped with fried jalapeno peppers. Onion rings. Ice, ice cold Coors Banquet. Guaranteed you will be able to fart in colors.

• Love
Reactions: EmormousDouchebag
No offense, that’s a lie, but anyway, without knowing the back story I would have definitely said to your face that you might want to get checked for Covid if you think a smoked piece of meat without any seasoning is on par with a seasoned smoked piece of meat.

That is like saying plain noodles are good. I guess they could be, but noodles with pasta sauce or butter/garlic are a whole lot better.

Additionally my post did add something to the discussion. Humor.

Not everything is a serious discussion.
This ain't intramurals, brotha!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT