ADVERTISEMENT

Pre-Season Top-25 Polls Released

Let’s be growers not showers.

Really frustrating to see huge chunk of the list occupied by programs who should not be perennially ahead of us in the conversation.
But that’s where we’re at.

Nothing to show cus we haven’t grown… yet.

Reactions: BleedRed78
ND is going to get rocked in this game...

They hired the wrong coach in a panic.
OSU could very well win the NC this year if their new defensive staff can fix those horrible defenses from 2020 and 2021. To say the 2022 OSU offense will be loaded is an understatement. The OSU-Michigan game could end up being a massacre.

I think a real good coach begins with having really good assistants, and most head coaches stays out of their road.

Ryan Day at Ohio State is another who doesn't seem to mind canning coaches. He's committed to winning and if he's dissatisfied with a position coaches overall unit, he makes a change.
I realize that Alabama is ranked no. 1 in just about every poll. but OSU is my pick to win the NC for the reason you mentioned. Their 2020 and 2021 defenses were horrible - really HORRIBLE - and hence Day gutted his defensive staff minus their DL coach (can't think of his name) who is close to retiring.

You are correct - having top notch assistants is just as important as having a quality HC

I think a real good coach begins with having really good assistants, and most head coaches stays out of their road.

At the top of the heap, look at Bama. Saban changes OC's and coaches almost yearly. He tends to replace position coaches with guys who may have just gotten fired from a head coaching job at another school or organization. No doubt, those fired coaches he brings in have been position coaches and coordinators on their way to becoming head coaches. So he replaces experienced coaches with more experienced coaches.

Ryan Day at Ohio State is another who doesn't seem to mind canning coaches. He's committed to winning and if he's dissatisfied with a position coaches overall unit, he makes a change.

A lot of programs have a head coach and assistants that have been at the school long term. There are a few that remain real good, but the majority keep running that 8-3, 9-2 record with an occassional down year and then maybe a 9-3, 10-2 record to remain in their positions. Those programs, administrations and fans seem to be content with consistent winning records.

Top notch coordinators appear to be the biggest key. Brady and Aranda at LSU were the most recent example of how high they can elevate a team in quick order. And having a kid like Burrow really flourish under Brady's playcalling. Aranda moved onto Baylor as the Head Coach and has been very good.

It seems the TOP coordinators all make a $ 1 Million plus. It seems like money well spent.
There's no way to know if guys like Ryan Day are good coaches or not...if all they have to do is inherit a great program and hire good assistants.

I'd like to see him or Saban go to a non-successful team and see what they can do. A team that doesn't have cheating or big NIL advantages.

There's no way to know if guys like Ryan Day are good coaches or not...if all they have to do is inherit a great program and hire good assistants.

I'd like to see him or Saban go to a non-successful team and see what they can do. A team that doesn't have cheating or big NIL advantages.
I actually agree with you about Day

so far, his teams have vastly underperformed

He’s won 2 B1G championships that isn’t really isn’t underperforming, yea last year they weren’t better than Michigan..
Has Ryan Day ever won a game he wasn’t favored in?

I don’t think so

The same could be said of Saban and much of the time our own TO. So the punishment for being on top is you win it all or nothing, I get that but getting to the top isn't easy, if it was more teams would be up there.
What saban did at lsu was proof enough for me

And you didn't address our own former coach or Saban at MSU. They don't all start out on top.
But they usually bring a bad team up to decent...or a decent team up to good...and then move to a better program. It's not like they take a bad program and make it great. (Although that's what I'm hoping Fleck can do.)

Alabama was 26-24 in the 4 years prior to Saban

LSU was 7-15 in the 2 years prior to Saban

He’s won 2 B1G championships that isn’t really underperforming, yea last year they weren’t better than Michigan..
And because of that, Day fired his whole defensive staff minus that DL coach. If the OSU defense is even decent this year, that team will be LETHAL

Alabama was 26-24 in the 4 years prior to Saban

LSU was 7-15 in the 2 years prior to Saban
Saban took over in 2007. In 2005, Alabama was 10-2. They also had 10-win seasons in 2002, 1999, & 1996. They were 12-1 in 1994, 13-0 in 1992, 11-1 in 1991....a recent history of winning big.

And LSU was 19-5 in the 2 years prior to the 2 years you mentioned.

My point was I'd like to see what he could do at Northwestern. Or Minnesota before we got Fleck.

These preseason polls are more of a wild guess than ever with all the portal mayhem. Aside from the top teams. It really is a crapshoot. I bet 10 of those teams listed finish unranked.

We know at least one will be gone because Nebraska will obviously be ranked at seasons end

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
AP Poll drops at 12pm ET

here's an early one from absolute maniac Brett McMurphy, featuring our very own Cornhuskers at #25

Reactions: WHCSC
We don’t deserved to be ranked until we‘re at least above .600
I know. I do find it rather hilarious that we're ranked in places (another guy at Action Network has us at #16!), and hope it sticks in the USA Today Poll if only to piss on the parade of our fellow unworthy conference members

ACC getting too much respect. 2-10 in the postseason the last two years. One of those wins was beating Rutgers that showed up on late notice. BIG should have at least 1 more team ranked.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
there hasn't been parity in college football in 15 years

hopefully player freedom spurs some movement toward more teams having a legitimate shot at a title
It will lessen it. Already has... Alabama was going to have some huge gaps last year and this year and free movement just guarantees the top teams don't have years with big gaps like that.

Saban took over in 2007. In 2005, Alabama was 10-2. They also had 10-win seasons in 2002, 1999, & 1996. They were 12-1 in 1994, 13-0 in 1992, 11-1 in 1991....a recent history of winning big.

And LSU was 19-5 in the 2 years prior to the 2 years you mentioned.

My point was I'd like to see what he could do at Northwestern. Or Minnesota before we got Fleck.

The results at Minnesota before Fleck are the same as at Minnesota after Fleck. But with Fleck you also get the selfish, used-car salesman thing too, so that's cool.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT