ADVERTISEMENT

Post- Game Thoughts

headcard

Nebraska Legend
Feb 2, 2005
So I’m in Chicago, headed to a concert and didn’t get to watch the game as close as I would have liked. But did see it. What were your observations?

To me it was mostly good stuff. Only real issues I noticed were Hartzog got picked on a little and Fidone seemed to struggle both blocking and passing. Also kicking game is still probably a question. But the most complete game we’ve had in a while.

You could nitpick it to death. Not perfect by any means. But here’s what I liked :

- we converted a 2nd and 30
- we had a rocket catch in coverage with a Sasquatch WR and a perfectly thrown ball away from the defender
- our running game looked good. One fumble but that was a damn good helmet hit on the ball
- I was actually not scared when we dropped back by about midway second Q. In fact, I wanted to see more passinf
- our defense was fine. The TD was a bad ass pass and Hartzog just isn’t tall. He is a gamer tho
- special teams looked better but still need work

Oh, and HH came in and actually looked crisp.

So I’m in Chicago, headed to a concert and didn’t get to watch the game as close as I would have liked. But did see it. What were your observations?

To me it was mostly good stuff. Only real issues I noticed were Hartzog got picked on a little and Fidone seemed to struggle both blocking and passing. Also kicking game is still probably a question. But the most complete game we’ve had in a while.
What didn’t you like about the kicking game?

Being really good at something is important. Our run defense is our identity on D. Looks like our passing game is going to be our identity on O.

Fidone was put in a bad spot IMO. He need to catch passes up the field, not those quick hitters where he needs to make people miss. Need to hit him in stride or sitting down in the middle of the field.

Kind of got lost in the action but Barney looks to be as explosive and athletic as advertised

Wide receivers physically look like they play for Bama or Georgia.

Line opening up holes inside is so refreshing.

Fidone is concerning, there were several runs that could have went for big yards if he blocked the perimeter better. He also looked slow and couldn’t produce yards after catch. TE now seems to be the biggest question mark on offense.
Ya, TE underwhelmed me. Have to wonder how much of that part of the game they're keeping under wraps for sCUm. Considering much of the game was pretty vanilla I thought the execution was serviceable, nothing better than that. Overall pleased with what I saw and more impressed with DR and HH.

It was the first game with a Frosh QB, on a team that could barely move the ball last year. There is no nitpicking , we won in convincing fashion. We won the turnover battle and didn't have many penalties. Enoy it .

*Obviously DR is a huge difference maker. Hell, by the 2nd Qtr I wasn't worried about 3rd & long, I already had confidence in him picking it up.

*I loved seeing HH get so much game time. I think we'll need QB #2 in a game or two this year.

*I loved seeing so many players get in the game fairly early. This is great for their development & the overall morale of the locker room.

I haven't felt this good or optimistic after an opening game in a long time.

Fidone is concerning, there were several runs that could have went for big yards if he blocked the perimeter better. He also looked slow and couldn’t produce yards after catch. TE now seems to be the biggest question mark on offense.
As a unit, not really a question mark. The one individual, yes Fidone doesn't look like our Best TE, not even top 3. The rest played well a d we add a stud blocker too.

Reactions: headcard
My take on Fidone, he wasn’t used properly is passing, he needs to down the middle of field, no more stretch passes to a TE. I liked we only had 3 penalties. Don’t believe any on the D, could be wrong. D responded after our fumble.

My take on Fidone, he wasn’t used properly is passing, he needs to down the middle of field, no more stretch passes to a TE. I liked we only had 3 penalties. Don’t believe any on the D, could be wrong. D responded after our fumble.
a big guy like that ain't gonna speed around a corner putting a move on someone..I agree he needs to be catching passes north and south, where just his momentum after contact gets 5 more yards

Reactions: RedMyMind
I wasn't able to watch the game, but listened to the stream. Didn't sound impressive, but I just saw two highlights on YouTube, on both Raiola and the Defense, and I was really surprised by just how good they looked. As said, it was Utep, and we'll learn more next week, but I have to say this. They played good football, they looked good, really good. Not looking at all like they have in the recent past; bungling things. They seemed very well conditioned, confident, well coached, and the skill players had, well, real skill. Good sign, good direction, good game!

Reactions: c3o
*Obviously DR is a huge difference maker. Hell, by the 2nd Qtr I wasn't worried about 3rd & long, I already had confidence in him picking it up.

*I loved seeing HH get so much game time. I think we'll need QB #2 in a game or two this year.

*I loved seeing so many players get in the game fairly early. This is great for their development & the overall morale of the locker room.

I haven't felt this good or optimistic after an opening game in a long time.
Well said, all correct, it has NOT been this way in quite a while. You are right about DR systematically making 3rd downs, this is something really not seen here in a long time. I can't remember when the subs took over a game or the game was in hand early on, seems forever. Next week will reveal much more.

Pros:
  • DR is a stud, total gamechanger
  • defense is still fast, swarming to the ball
  • new WRs looked good when they caught the ball
Cons:
  • Probably the most concerning for the upcoming game is that the defense was still giving up chunk plays and letting opposing WRs separate a ton
  • Either Fidone is terrible or his coaching is
  • A bad drop made this look like a game wayyyy longer than it should’ve. A good team will punish us for not seizing those opportunities

No doubt work to do to get better, but it's a good start to the season. The hype will be on for next weeks game, hope everyone on the team will be super focused for the practices ahead. It will be a tough game coming up, should be fun!

Reactions: BayAreaBigRed
The defense is deep. Especially the d-line. When is the last time we could say we were deep on the d-line? It’s refreshing to see the future out there instead of having to scramble and try make guys Cam Meredith a DT.

Bullock was a starter at WR last year. He’s now the 8th guy? Talk about flipping a room.

Relatively clean game. Few penalties. Won the turn over battle. Gave up 1 drive, otherwise dominated on defense.

Fun game.

Although hard to make assumptions on one game against a weak opponent. I will say this Raiola is the best Qb we have had in 2 decades. This team is a lock for a bowl game if he stays healthy
He didn’t force anything. Threw the ball away when he should have and made some great throws. He climbed the pocket!!!! Stuff we haven’t seen in forever.

He didn’t force anything. Threw the ball away when he should have and made some great throws. He climbed the pocket!!!! Stuff we haven’t seen in forever.
There were two passes he threw that were somewhat dangerous. But the TD throws were money and on point and going through progressions was awesome. Also didn’t panic on the 2nd and 30 - gotta a chunk and then another. Smart football for the most part. Wasn’t flawless - but man considering his age, I’m impressed and it’s what I was hoping for.

Lots of positives here. As it all sinks in, again Utep, but regardless, what stood out to me was something SO missing for so long. Simple fundamentals, and execution. DR could deliver, but WRs could catch, and runners mostly hit the holes the OL was making. LOS was owned and will imposed. Huskers did not look weak, confused or without confidence. They played hard, well and thorough. Next week it will be different, but seems we have what it takes to make it a game. Not seen that in a while either.

RBs were really impressive. Ran harder than I've seen in years.

Neyor and Banks give us the most legitimate starting WRs we've had in awhile.

Hard to say what our pass rush is. Utep offense was gimmicky nonsense. We'll find out in a week.

Reactions: BrighteRed24
NU has 2 receivers that are 1A and 1B in addition to other good ones, and have four backs that can produce. Plus a QB that can take full advantage of this talent.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Lots of positives here. As it all sinks in, again Utep, but regardless, what stood out to me was something SO missing for so long. Simple fundamentals, and execution. DR could deliver, but WRs could catch, and runners mostly hit the holes the OL was making. LOS was owned and will imposed. Huskers did not look weak, confused or without confidence. They played hard, well and thorough. Next week it will be different, but seems we have what it takes to make it a game. Not seen that in a while either.
Good post. Except...why does next week have to be different? Everything that worked today can work Saturday if Satterfield doesn't wet his pants when our run game gets stuffed for "only" a two-yard gain.

Good post. Except...why does next week have to be different? Everything that worked today can work Saturday if Satterfield doesn't wet his pants when our run game gets stuffed for "only" a two-yard gain.
Will be different because while we are finally playing up to our potential and capability, CU is pretty loaded and has the talent to give us game. So, will things be different is will we play a good game and not flub up under the lights.

It was the first game with a Frosh QB, on a team that could barely move the ball last year. There is no nitpicking , we won in convincing fashion. We won the turnover battle and didn't have many penalties. Enoy it .
Of course this was against a team with a new coaching staff and 12 FCS transfers…. CU will be a better test but we should handle them too.

Reactions: BleedRed78
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT