ADVERTISEMENT

"Poor tackling key to fixing run defense"

RedSea

Recruiting Coordinator
Jun 18, 2001
Saw that on the front page. That may be so, but I sure get tired of hearing that. How do you get several years into college playing defense and still not know how to tackle well? What were you doing in all those middle school, high school, and college drills, scrimmages and games? Hello?

I once heard Gary Barnett talk about this. He said that as rosters shrank and practice time became more limited teams couldn't tackle as much in practice. It was his contention that this is what lead to the proliferation of spread offenses. If tackling is poor it makes sense to try to isolate players in space.

Reactions: cornhustler
Well, maybe it is just lack of reps, as Barnett suggested. But really, how hard is it to remember how to do that skill? We're not talking piano concertos. And if this problem has been recognized since the advent of spread offenses, why don't coaches plan for enough reps to take care of it?

I think there are multiple factors going on. First, the game has changed and speed has made it so tackling is rarely a straight up proposition. There are holes and angles and lots of running to the spot. Then there is the issue of concussions. I played HS ball many years ago when helmets weren't much more than a piece of hard plastic and some straps suspended inside. My bell was constantly rung in practice way more than in a game. I don't know the real reason, these are just some speculation.

Reactions: jeans1515
Most "missed tackles" are not the result of poor tackling technique. People see the end result of "missed tackle", which is often a guy that gets one arm on the ball carrier, or touches him. The reality is that he only got one arm one him because he was a step slow or out of position earlier in the play, or not skilled/strong enough to shed a block that occurred 3 seconds before the "missed tackle".

Saw that on the front page. That may be so, but I sure get tired of hearing that. How do you get several years into college playing defense and still not know how to tackle well? What were you doing in all those middle school, high school, and college drills, scrimmages and games? Hello?
Oh, I don't know, I challenge ANYONE on this or any other message board to try and tackle any of our skill players in the open field(within a 10 yard channel, so it isn't totally impossible). I would consider 1 stop in 3, to be outstanding for anyone, not a player.

I think we, as fans, take the athleticism of these kids for granted. (just my two cents).

If the posters on this board including myself played tag with these kids we all would be "it" for eternity.

You clearly haven't heard of the athletic prowess of some on this board. It is littered with former All-Americans in multiple sports, Olympic sprinters and powerlifters, cage fighters, ninjas, tour de france competitors, Green Berets, and many others I have forgotten. You are in the presence of greatness here.

You clearly haven't heard of the athletic prowess of some on this board. It is littered with former All-Americans in multiple sports, Olympic sprinters and powerlifters, cage fighters, ninjas, tour de france competitors, Green Berets, and many others I have forgotten. You are in the presence of greatness here.
And don't forget the trolls; climbing out from and around the bridgeworks keeps you in shape.... Probably some adjustment to the rugby style; but no way we have fallen back to where we were - where impartial broadcasters were saying; " what the h; these guys have poor technique and worse results ". We have seen a big jump in cover skills and some interceptions; I think the youth will also adjust too better angles and playing the field - cutting the length of runs that break the line of scrimmage. At some point you also learn not to be blocked or impeded by a receiver in your pursuit. GBR

Restrictions on the number of contact practices at the pee wee, junior high and high school level are also a factor. tackling a dummy that doesn't move is fine for technique but does little to prepare a player for the speed and movement of the ball carrier.

Tackling technique will get worse before it gets better.

Reactions: jeans15
Well, maybe it is just lack of reps, as Barnett suggested. But really, how hard is it to remember how to do that skill? We're not talking piano concertos. And if this problem has been recognized since the advent of spread offenses, why don't coaches plan for enough reps to take care of it?

Because, with the smaller rosters, they can't risk the injuries?

We have a good group of linebackers that are working hard to try to cover up deficiencies in the defensive line. Add to that, some more zone based schemes, they are often late to the play and making diving attempts at a tackle, which appears sloppy, but in some cases was a marvel that the LB made it close enough to even get a shot at the guy. It's ok to review the fundamentals, but in some respects it is again an issue that results from trying to do too much and having to cover up for defensive line issues.

I'd attribute it to a large degree to speed. If you're not quite fast enough you can't get in position.

Most "missed tackles" are not the result of poor tackling technique. People see the end result of "missed tackle", which is often a guy that gets one arm on the ball carrier, or touches him. The reality is that he only got one arm one him because he was a step slow or out of position earlier in the play, or not skilled/strong enough to shed a block that occurred 3 seconds before the "missed tackle".

I agree, but then why are the coaches calling our problem poor "tackling"? That makes me think of guys who are in position, but just don't wrap up, or get run over because they won't bend enough to get good leverage, or so on.

It's athletes and technic. I'm pretty sure I could get coached-up, then practice and perfect my technic, but I'm not much of an athlete these days. A stud makes it all look easy.

Two things. The main "problem" right now is with the rugby tackling.

Rugby tackling is designed to tackle well in space and our DB's are excelling at tackling and our DE's are solid. In those areas it works great. I'm not sure Jones, Gerry and Williams have missed more than 2 tackles combined this year.

Where Rugby tackling struggles is maintaining leverage while meeting an opponent straight ahead in tight gaps. Ie. What linebackers and DT's do a lot against the run.

I suspect the staff will make an adjustment during the offweek where they stress Rugby style tackling in space but work on modifying it closer to traditional tackling methods in the box.

That is the easy fix. And will help inside.

The second thing is the backers (and once or twice in Kalu's case sometimes the nickel) are shading inside longer because of our weaker Dline and thus are slower to close the edge against perimeter runs. This isn't as easy a fix until the line improves.

Last edited:
Reactions: RedSea

Reminds of all the Navy seals I meet in real life. I was in the Navy and just roll my eyes.

I agree, but then why are the coaches calling our problem poor "tackling"? That makes me think of guys who are in position, but just don't wrap up, or get run over because they won't bend enough to get good leverage, or so on.
"Tackling" is much more than what happens at the point of contact. I can virtually guarantee you that the coaches spend as much time talking about angles, routes, shedding blocks, etc. as much or more than where you head should go when you try to tackle a guy. IMO, coaches lump all of the above in when discussing tackling, they just don't mentioned it all.

Reactions: RedSea
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT