ADVERTISEMENT

Please DO NOT accept a bowl invite.....

No lie watching the game, I'm thinking to myself iowas not even that good. Says something about Nebraska. Congratulations Iowa, I'll pay respect regardless.

Reactions: husker2612
What would not accepting a bowl invite do for you? With a bowl game you get extra practice and an extra game. Unless you don't think your team needs to improve.

Reactions: eihusen5
Accept the bowl invitation. And win it. If anything that will give the Big Ten a little more respect. Good game today. Many people over here are showing the Hawks respect. That is appreciated.

No. She understands that "facts" and "opinions" are entirely different things. Something else she's got you beat on.
Nah, my "opinion" was based on facts throughout Rileys lackluster coaching career. Keep fighting the good fight. 5-7 is 5-7. I can tell you my dad is way cooler than her dad! So I got her beat there.

Obviously you didn't read or understand my post. IMO They will get worse with more practices instead of better under this staff! Time away is what these players need!!

What bigger picture? What am I missing? Say we lose a couple players with torn acl's while practicing for a formidable UMass team! Cheez put this pitiful season in the rear view and work strickly on recruiting. Pretty easy decision if you ask me!

Reactions: Wasker77
You tell these seniors they have a chance to continue their college football career but you want to be a crybaby and not accept the bowl bid and lets see how that is received.

Reactions: rpappy3
Reject a bowl invite,,,,, are you just a troll? You cannot be serious. The team has a lot to gain from extra practices and recruiting exposure.

What bigger picture? What am I missing? Say we lose a couple players with torn acl's while practicing for a formidable UMass team! Cheez put this pitiful season in the rear view and work strickly on recruiting. Pretty easy decision if you ask me!
Man, when I was reading articles by Shatel and Sipple making the argument that we SHOULD accept a bowl bid even if we're 5-7 I kept thinking "is there some moron out there who's actually arguing the opposite?" At the very least, I got my answer tonight.

Take the practices. Anyone who doesn't want to put in maximum effort and focus doesn't want to be part of the program going forward. It could be a really good thing for the program going forward, and there's no way it's a negative. If the rising seniors buy in, next year could be a big turn-around. Just look at your neighbors to the east.

I want Iowa and Nebraska to be competing for the right to play in the B1G championship every Black Friday, winner take all. The fan bases are pretty similar, including a handful of message board tough guys who bring out the worst in everyone.

Oh? what facts? do tell!
The fact that Riley is a .500 coach is a good start. We hired a coach who lost to teams such as Illinois, Sacramento St(huh?) and Purdue. Do you foresee Riley as a coach who can lead Nebraska to a Big Ten title? Is so, let's see it...support your case.

Obviously you didn't read or understand my post. IMO They will get worse with more practices instead of better under this staff! Time away is what these players need!!

So...despite the fact that the defense, running backs, wide receivers, kicker, punter and tight ends all got better the more practices they had under these coaches, they'll suddenly start getting worse?

There is exactly one player who has regressed as the season has gone on. The rest of the team has gotten better. No where near perfect, but quite a bit better. More practices is always...ALWAYS better than "season over"

Reactions: timnsun and OzzyLvr
The fact that Riley is a .500 coach is a good start. We hired a coach who lost to teams such as Illinois, Sacramento St(huh?) and Purdue. Do you foresee Riley as a coach who can lead Nebraska to a Big Ten title? Is so, let's see it...support your case.

How am I to support that in any way that you'll accept?

You're taking what he did in the armpit of college football, and forming an OPINION that it was all his coaching. That it couldn't possibly be the school or the location or the fact that Oregon isn't exactly a hotbed of recruiting that contributed mightily to his .500 record.

The guy was good enough for the NFL to come calling. He was good enough for USC to come calling. He was good enough that when he left Oregon State, they wanted him back. I trust that one most of all. If Frank Solich announced last year that he wanted to come back to Nebraska, mine and many, many others' reactions would have been NO THANK YOU. And he had a much better record than .500 while here.

Bo Pelini's 5-6 at Youngstown State. Riley's successor just finished a 2-10 campaign. That successor by the way, was better than a .500 coach at Wisconsin. Records, when comparing one school to another, especialy when the two aren't anywhere near the same level, is just a worthless, worthless way to judge someone.

If Riley had been .500 at Michigan, or Ohio State, or even Stanford, or Oregon or UCLA, you'd have a point. But you're talking about a school that had something like two winning seasons EVER before Mike Riley got there.

As I said in another thread, if we had a quarterback who wasn't a turnover machine, we'd win AT LEAST three other games this year. And that's with less than stellar play makers around him. We beat one team that's going to be in the Big Ten championship game and traded punches all day long with the other one. So yes, I think there's a very good chance we could eventually win the big Ten Championship as long as some things get ironed out.

riley isn't perfect and neither is his staff. I'll admit, there's no excuse for that 4th and 1 pass call, but other coaches make dumb calls too. I saw improvement from almost everyone on the team other than Tommy. So again, yes I think there's a chance he could lead us to the next level. Next year will be telling.

The conference does not allow you to reject a bowl game invite. So enjoy the trip back to reality.

Reactions: newAD
CBS has us playing Air Force. Can't say I'd have much desire to watch our undisciplined team play against a highly-disciplined, well-coached service academy.

What would not accepting a bowl invite do for you? With a bowl game you get extra practice and an extra game. Unless you don't think your team needs to improve.
Disagree, if they haven't improved in 12 games and like 100 something practices. 1 meaningless game and a handful of practices will not matter. That time is better spent getting recruits and moving on to next year. Bowl games were intended for good teams to be rewarded with a bit of a vacation at end of season that why originally you had to have 7 wins to get in. Then money took over and every company and their dog have a bowl game. So it is moved to 5 wins. This team doesn't deserve a bowl. Again participation trophy generation at its best.

obviously this staff can't get the kids any better ( had two weeks to Iowa's 5 days) more practice will not help. Just call this season a failure and learn to live with this dog and pony show until Everyone from Pearlman on down is fired! Gonna be a loooong road back!

What a loser mentality. You're a failure.. Of course we accept a bowl invite. An extra month of practicing for this program is important for next season.

Reactions: kikdakan
I know any extra practices would be beneficial but only if all players are bought in. How do u motivate a 5-7 team that hasn't played with a chip all year? I'm inclined to say just hit the road hard recruiting and let the attrition start right way. That way you can focus on the young men that want to be here and leave this dead season where it stands. Another loss sends you into the offseason with heads hanging lower imo..

No lie watching the game, I'm thinking to myself iowas not even that good. Says something about Nebraska. Congratulations Iowa, I'll pay respect regardless.

Where Iowa has a distinct advantage is that they don't have a QB who loses focus when the game is on the line. Tommy gift-wrapped the game and addressed it...Iowa City. Good Lord I hope Patrick O'Brien's spring practice work helps put Tommy on the bench. That was painful to watch.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT