ADVERTISEMENT

Please Be Smart. Wear a helmet.

HuskerHusaria

Recruiting Coordinator
Jun 4, 2017
Elkhorn, NE
"Ride like a Girl". I want to bring forward the awareness.... For my sister's best friend, Jackie. She came over to our house and she was the sweetest person.

I support the no helmet law. If you want to wear one fine. Mandatory no just like seat belts. In my semi I wear it all the time. In my car or pickup no. Why?? Several answers.

In semi I don't trust others

No way I would ride a motorcycle in Lincoln or Omaha or even I80 way too many drivers that don’t pay attention and don’t know the traffic laws.
Very true. Even if you're doing everything right, some idiot can make a small mistake and kill you. And also let's be honest...a lot of people on motorcycles are not doing everything right to begin with.

Very true. Even if you're doing everything right, some idiot can make a small mistake and kill you. And also let's be honest...a lot of people on motorcycles are not doing everything right to begin with.
To your point I was in Phoenix driving south on the 101, And in the hov lane 2 motorcycles came by us at probably 140 mph. And I guess the cops don't even try too pursue.

Been riding dirt bikes for over 50 years and always wear a helmet in the dirt.

Been riding street bikes for over 30 years and never wear a helmet on the street.

Different strokes for different folks.

It’s closer to 1 : 10 here in FL. Some of these dudes have a death wish
Dudes on motorcycles and dudes that ride bikes on the streets need to understand that knowing the laws/rules doesn't matter, if they get hit, they are getting the bad end of it.

Also, I need to admit this...
I personally can't stand dudes that ride their 10 speed on the road. Stop, go to the sidewalk, ride in a neighborhood or get a Peloton.

Dudes on motorcycles and dudes that ride bikes on the streets need to understand that knowing the laws/rules doesn't matter, if they get hit, they are getting the bad end of it.

Also, I need to admit this...
I personally can't stand dudes that ride their 10 speed on the road. Stop, go to the sidewalk, ride in a neighborhood or get a Peloton.
I used to be annoyed with road bikes until I started riding. Riding 20 mph on a sidewalk isnt safe either.

But I hated riding on the roads in traffic sucked too. So I got a trainer to attach to my bike and basically ride exclusively inside.

I used to be annoyed with road bikes until I started riding. Riding 20 mph on a sidewalk isnt safe either.

But I hated riding on the roads in traffic sucked too. So I got a trainer to attach to my bike and basically ride exclusively inside.
I get it, i do, but if a car hits you, you are dead. If you run into some walker on the sidewalk, you are just scraped up.

I get it, i do, but if a car hits you, you are dead. If you run into some walker on the sidewalk, you are just scraped up.
Road bikes go too fast to be on the sidewalk. They are considered road vehicles. They just need to obey the traffic rules like all of us. They do go by slower than cars so don't run them over. Don't blame them for being run over. Just don't run them over. How hard is that?

Road bikes go too fast to be on the sidewalk. They are considered road vehicles. They just need to obey the traffic rules like all of us. They do go by slower than cars so don't run them over. Don't blame them for being run over. Just don't run them over. How hard is that?
You know how I know I will never get run over while riding a bike on the street?

Same reason I know that I will never get eaten by a shark.

No one is running them over on purpose...but accidents happen and accident of a car vs a bike really only ends one way.

You know how I know I will never get run over while riding a bike on the street?

Same reason I know that I will never get eaten by a shark.

No one is running them over on purpose...but accidents happen and accident of a car vs a bike really only ends one way.
When I lived in a bigger city I would train at 4:30 in the morning which hardly had any traffic. People would stay in my lane even though there were two other lanes they could move into. At that point I was like screw this - it’s not worth it and bought the trainer for inside. It was more convenient and don’t have to worry about idiots.

Reactions: zrob
When I lived in a bigger city I would train at 4:30 in the morning which hardly had any traffic. People would stay in my lane even though there were two other lanes they could move into. At that point I was like screw this - it’s not worth it and bought the trainer for inside. It was more convenient and don’t have to worry about idiots.
AMEN! That is all I am saying. It just doesn't seem worth it.

Look, I am TERRIFIED of getting eaten by a shark...I also really like working out. But I am not going to start lifting in the ocean.

I HATE driving in the interstate, it scares me, so I do it as little as possible.

Okay, reading that back I do sound like a giant vagina but you get the point.

Happened to me - I used to be an avid rider and when I took my now-wife on a ride for the first time I gave her a helmet. She said, “where’s yours?” I said I didn’t really like them and she said she wouldn’t wear one either. I told her I wanted her to be safe and she asked me to repeat that again and make it make sense why I wouldn’t wear one so I started to after that.

Then a few later was just going to fuel up to winterize my motorcycles and took a short trip to the gas station (no helmet) … lady pulled out right in front of me - I flew over her car and landed on my back. No injuries just some bruises … two weeks a later a kid hit a suv the same way and passed away near the same spot.

Shortly after we had kids and the bikes started collecting dust. Love riding - miss my sport bike the most, maybe I will take it back up when my kids don’t need me and my term-life insurance is almost up 😁

AMEN! That is all I am saying. It just doesn't seem worth it.

Look, I am TERRIFIED of getting eaten by a shark...I also really like working out. But I am not going to start lifting in the ocean.

I HATE driving in the interstate, it scares me, so I do it as little as possible.

Okay, reading that back I do sound like a giant vagina but you get the point.
Give me interstate everyday. Would rather be doing 80 mph with traffic in the same direction than 60 with a car coming at me 8’ to the side of me.

Reactions: Husker.Wed.
Give me interstate everyday. Would rather be doing 80 mph with traffic in the same direction than 60 with a car coming at me 8’ to the side of me.
I also hate when cars are close to me!!!

I probably should not be driving at all.

When I moved back here from SoCal four years ago it freaked me out to see people in Iowa riding without helmets. DOT approved motorcycle helmets were required in CA, NV and AZ so I rarely if ever saw someone riding w/o a helmet for many years.

But what really freaked me out was a couple times during covid when I saw a guy riding a big motorcycle wearing shorts, tank top, sandals, no helmet, AND A CLOTH MASK. I thought it was odd guys would fear catching a disease outdoors with no one around, but riding 60 MPH half-naked didn't seem to bother them.

When I moved back here from SoCal four years ago it freaked me out to see people in Iowa riding without helmets. DOT approved motorcycle helmets were required in CA, NV and AZ so I rarely if ever saw someone riding w/o a helmet for many years.

But what really freaked me out was a couple times during covid when I saw a guy riding a big motorcycle wearing shorts, tank top, sandals, no helmet, AND A CLOTH MASK. I thought it was odd guys would fear catching a disease outdoors with no one around, but riding 60 MPH half-naked didn't seem to bother them.
One thing I cannot get over is watching the motorcycles in LA scream down the dotted lines between cars in traffic.

I know it isn’t a motorcycle but have a family member with a traumatic brain injury because he jumped on a bike to help a neighbor find a pet and was hit because a driver didn’t stop at a stop sign. Wear the helmet, my personal opinion. I don’t ride motorcycles but if I did, around here a helmet is a minimum must.

Reactions: Dean Pope
Can always count on the "cyclists are second class citizens" crowd to chime in whenever and wherever they can. Worse than trying to have a conversation with vegans. Look, it isn't my fault you look like an over stuffed sausage casing with hail damage when you put on tighter fitting clothes, but the law says I have the same right to the road you do...and for the "ride on the sidewalk" crowd, I've been hit in the sidewalk by a car to. It broke my helmet in 3 places. Now what??

How bout this....put your phone down and watch what you're doing and....now hear me out....lift on the ole gas pedal for a few seconds and wait for a good opportunity to pass me safely when you see me. Your overweight wife you have no interest in seeing naked anymore can wait an extra minute for you to get home.

...having said all that 90% of my rides now are mountain bike... to approx. 10% road biking, and even then I start 15mi out in the country and head even further out for the actual road ride because I'm no fan of riding on busy roads either.

Can always count on the "cyclists are second class citizens" crowd to chime in whenever and wherever they can. Worse than trying to have a conversation with vegans. Look, it isn't my fault you look like an over stuffed sausage casing with hail damage when you put on tighter fitting clothes, but the law says I have the same right to the road you do...and for the "ride on the sidewalk" crowd, I've been hit in the sidewalk by a car to. It broke my helmet in 3 places. Now what??

How bout this....put your phone down and watch what you're doing and....now hear me out....lift on the ole gas pedal for a few seconds and wait for a good opportunity to pass me safely when you see me. Your overweight wife you have no interest in seeing naked anymore can wait an extra minute for you to get home.

...having said all that 90% of my rides now are mountain bike... to approx. 10% road biking, and even then I start 15mi out in the country and head even further out for the actual road ride because I'm no fan of riding on busy roads either.
You do have the same right. The problem is, like I said, when a car and a bike collide, one is fine, the other is not. Why put yourself in that position if you don't have to? I know, I know "my rights"

It is my right to swim in the ocean but I don't want a shark to eat me, so I don't go in the ocean and I find other ways to get my swim game on.

Also, if you got hit on the sidewalk it sounds like it was intentional, I would look into that.

I do like your fat rant though! Haha! Wives LOVE to pack on the pounds and why anyone would rush home to see their "best friend" wife is beyond me.

• Haha
Reactions: TampaBaySkers
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT