ADVERTISEMENT

Peyton Newell Interview

dand84

Blackshirt
Oct 28, 2017

Nice young man. I liked how he spoke. Listen especially close at the 6 minute mark. Last year, he gained 1 lb of muscle. Under the new S&C program he lost 3% body fat and gained 23 lbs of muscle.

Be sure to check out the other practice 7 interviews.

I think Nebraska has a lot of options at DT. Stille at DE and Thomas being spun outside gives us a lot of 4 man fronts. I think these guys are pretty stout. Frost and Co just have to figure out how we can get a good push or get to the Qb with the Lb Corp. GBR

For the first time in well over a decade, these "fluff" videos actually mean something. This staff gets it. The teams finally now gets it and is going to surprise a lot of people this year even with a brutal schedule.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
That was an awesome interview. Good to see these kids so excited for this year.

Nice young man. I liked how he spoke. Listen especially close at the 6 minute mark. Last year, he gained 1 lb of muscle. Under the new S&C program he lost 3% body fat and gained 23 lbs of muscle.

So Riley and last years strength coach is to blame for Newell putting on one pound of muscle as a junior? Not buying it he’s supposed to be a team leader instead he hinted. Of a transfer while Riley was here and just now his senior year has rededicated himself to a leadership role by putting on 23 LBs of muscle in 5 months. Seems to me the player should be more accountable for an effort that gained himself 1 lb of muscle. Good to see he’s bought in now though. But 1 lb Really?? There has to be some fluff in those numbers.

So Riley and last years strength coach is to blame for Newell putting on one pound of muscle as a junior? Not buying it he’s supposed to be a team leader instead he hinted. Of a transfer while Riley was here and just now his senior year has rededicated himself to a leadership role by putting on 23 LBs of muscle in 5 months. Seems to me the player should be more accountable for an effort that gained himself 1 lb of muscle. Good to see he’s bought in now though. But 1 lb Really?? There has to be some fluff in those numbers.
Remember something here... we are talking about young men ages 18-22/23. Many of them still have maturity issues they are working out. The mark of a good coach is they get these young guys to WANT to be a leader. Accountability is ultimately up to the player... yes... but a good coach knows how to get most of these guys to buy in. Riley followed a pro model of laid back leadership. Does not work with this age bracket.

How in the world can a college athlete only gain 1 pound of muscle in an offseason? Outside of coming down with mono, I don’t understand how that is even possible.

You might want to try watching the other 3 videos of the players talking about S&C gains. Everyone of them has made big gains. Even little tyjon lost 10 of fat and gained 10 of muscle. These are young men who owning what happened last year and stepping up for this year.

Remember something here... we are talking about young men ages 18-22/23. Many of them still have maturity issues they are working out. The mark of a good coach is they get these young guys to WANT to be a leader. Accountability is ultimately up to the player... yes... but a good coach knows how to get most of these guys to buy in. Riley followed a pro model of laid back leadership. Does not work with this age bracket.

The Pro Model relies on $100s of millions of annual salaries/bonuses per team dolled out on a performance basis. Big diff. GBR

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
The Pro Model relies on $100s of millions of annual salaries/bonuses per team dolled out on a performance basis. Big diff. GBR

If you don't do your job well in the NFL, you're gone in a minute without a second thought.

How in the world can a college athlete only gain 1 pound of muscle in an offseason? Outside of coming down with mono, I don’t understand how that is even possible.

mikeriley.jpg

Reactions: huskerfan1414
The answer to your question lies in the interviews. I don't see why it is hard for people to comprehend that players didn't hold themselves accountable and that the prior staff didn't make accountability a priority. Listen to these kids talk about where their heads were at last year. When you have a lineman talking about having to give up McDonalds and another talking about having to give up Popeyes, do you really need to make this into rocket science? These kids want and need to be held accountable for their progress.

Not everyone is a leader and accountability is a byproduct of a coaching staff that puts in a good culture.

23lbs of muscle in 49 days. Lol

23lbs of muscle in 49 days. Lol

Is it even humanly possible to gain 23 pounds of muscle in 49 days? That's like a half a pound of muscle a day....... Sounds a little far fetched.

Yeah, it may be a case of a little embellishing taking place in his case, so I just look at the gains from everyone in the program. Everyone can't be fabricating their gains.

Who knows, maybe there is a reason why P. Newell hasn't seen much on field time in 4 years. Maybe he is making all the gains he should have/could have made in 4 years because he is finally being forced to work hard.

Is it even humanly possible to gain 23 pounds of muscle in 49 days? That's like a half a pound of muscle a day....... Sounds a little far fetched.

Is it far fetched? Maybe. Is it possible? Yes. I can't speak for him or anyone in the football program but I would say I probably did this in the first 49 days of bootcamp back in the 80's. Different? Yes, but nothing is impossible depending on program and desire. My point is it doesn't really matter to me its about what this all represents. This to me represents an attitude and culture change. That means the most to me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT