ADVERTISEMENT

Perspective

The roster question after next year will be filled with a lot of inexperience and question marks if you look at who is playing now. No QB with much playing experience since they have hitched their wagon to Lee. He will be a Sr next year. Tre Bryant at RB, sounds like his knee is not in great shape. Wilbon and DO are seniors next year. Morgan gone after next year, Lindsay and Speilman will still be around and the TE's will be a ?, Farmer Gate and Foster will be seniors next year. Younger guys getting some time, but have struggled as well.
A good portion of the defense is JR with Freedom, Stolt, Young, Gifford, Williams, Reed and Jones and Kalu are Sr this year. If there is talent there is should be getting a chance to get on the field this year and it just isn't so far. And if it is it is due to injury not beating anyone out of their position.
How dose all that change with a new staff? And how about adding in the 2016 and 2017 classes and a complete 2018 class if no change is made. One year is perfect opportunity too see the team and Rileys direction .And ability as a leader.

IF Frost were not an ex Husker or a hot property, would people still be as anxious to fire Riley? I think a lot of people are more inclined to see Riley fired in hopes of getting Frost. Not saying I want Riley around next year but I dont think Frost is the next coach at NU.
Good post and a damn good question

IF Frost were not an ex Husker or a hot property, would people still be as anxious to fire Riley? I think a lot of people are more inclined to see Riley fired in hopes of getting Frost. Not saying I want Riley around next year but I dont think Frost is the next coach at NU.

Great question!

Many act like they are scared half to death that we will not get him and that he is our savior. It has the feeling it's now or never for Frost.

I do however think that many Husker fans still would want Riley fired just because of a lack of wins and the direction this season seems to be heading. Losing to NIU wasn't good.

If there wasn't a Scott Frost out there, they would want a different hot coach.

Some coaches have won championships only to be fired after the following year when they had a losing season. No coach is safe unfortunately in today's college football environment.

Reactions: Husker-NJ
I know I'm beginning sound like a repeating commercial on this issue but signing recruits is not going that well. Our recruiting process is going great. Why with a process like this are we not getting exceptionally rated players/teams. Too many posters have the kool-aid glasses on about Mike Riley's recruiting. Its Andy Vaughns coordination that is making the recruiting program look great. Lets keep him. With a young dynamic coach and the recruiting program we have now really think recruiting could move to top 15

As another point. If Riley ends up here another year it will most likely be one of the worst rated classes we have had in 10 years. Even the better recruits we have now will bail knowing he is a lame duck.
Completely agree, we could have the best recruiting assistants in the country. The weak link is Mike Riley. Top players want to play for a coach who has fire and passion. Riley isn't that guy.

Completely agree, we could have the best recruiting assistants in the country. The weak link is Mike Riley. Top players want to play for a coach who has fire and passion. Riley isn't that guy.
So you have some inside info on what recruits think of Riley? I haven't seen anything on that. Do you know these kids personally??

I'm certainly high on Frost, but there's plenty of other options besides him. I've seen enough from Riley to see that he's not improving. It's time for a new guy to get a shot.

Oh I don't know maybe ask Bo the same questions. He got seven years by the way.

Bo took over a how many wins football team?
Riley took over a how many wins football team?

Bo was given time because it actually looked like he was progressing to something, for a while anyway. Riley took a 9 win team and by year 3 will be lucky to win 6.

Reactions: jeans15
It's not twisting facts whatsoever. Our fanbase is delusional as I stated before, and if that was any coaches record at NU we would be running them out of town. Recent history proves that.
Maybe it's not the fan base that's delusional. Maybe it's you?

So you have some inside info on what recruits think of Riley? I haven't seen anything on that. Do you know these kids personally??
Does Riley magically change his personality when talking to recruits? I know what many people think of Riley's personality type and recruits aren't going to think any differently. Sure, recruits may think he's a nice guy but top recruits want to play for a winner.

Reactions: BigRedLegion
Does Riley magically change his personality when talking to recruits? I know what many people think of Riley's personality type and recruits aren't going to think any differently. Sure, recruits may think he's a nice guy but top recruits want to play for a winner.
So, in other words, you don't actually know what recruits think. Thought so.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Geez, I have been leaning towards letting Riley go at the end of the season. But quite frankly, the "fire Riley now!" crowd is pushing me the other way. What a group of knee jerk doomsday peddlers.

Seriously, even Tom's Wife makes more sense than most of you people

Reactions: dinglefritz
Who cares what dantoni did or didn’t do? How does that help Nebraska start beating the directional cupcakes on our sched and not being 4 score dogs in our own house?

Pelini got 7 years because he inherited the kind of shit that Riley is in the middle of creating.

A losing culture with zero identity.

The next coach here is going to be in the same exact situation Pelini was.

I’m not a Pelini fan, but the people up here claiming that Riley had to rebuild this 9 win program he inherited and what is needed is YET MORE assistant turnover here after year 3 (canning the remainder of the assistants he got to hand pick coming here) are the delusional ones.

That’s a totally unintelligible position to argue anyway. Riley is supposed to get 4-5 years even though the team is regressing in order to be “fair” and “give him a chance” yet the assistants have to go prior to that?

What if Banker and Hughes and cav and Langs all need 4-5 years to get things going?

Last edited:
Pelini got 7 years because he inherited the kind of shit that Riley is in the middle of creating.

s.
Pelini inherited a bunch of future NFL players including a couple of first rounders from Callahan. You wanna talk about sh%%? How about inheriting a bunch of players that agree with Pelini's "F the Husker fans" not to mention nothing for upper tier talent? Now that's something tough to overcome. Pelini got 7 years because the AD who hired him was too stubborn at the time to admit his mistake. He's since admitted it was a mistake.

Pelini inherited a bunch of future NFL players including a couple of first rounders from Callahan. You wanna talk about sh%%? How about inheriting a bunch of players that agree with Pelini's "F the Husker fans" not to mention nothing for upper tier talent? Now that's something tough to overcome. Pelini got 7 years because the AD who hired him was too stubborn at the time to admit his mistake. He's since admitted it was a mistake.

That terrible bunch of toxic players somehow won 9 games last year though.
I guess they liked Riley last year and hate him again this year?
Those damn drama queens!

We just got woodshedded by a team that we have beat every year in forever on the recruiting trail.

Exactly how much more talent does Riley need than the team he is facing in order to compete with them?

Because, by objective measurement, he had a significant talent edge over Wisconsin last week. For every recruiting class on the field. Freshman class through senior class.

If we are going to need to string together 2 or 3 top 5 classes to be in the game vs Wisconsin we are gonna be waiting a while. A long while.

I always hope, it's my nature but throwing a pass in the flat with 6 seconds on the clock sealed it for me. That was just assisine. And don't give my the players didn't run the called play. Junior high kids have more clock awareness. Riley ain't the guy

Just some more perspective:

Nebraska went 9-4 every year before Riley.
We are back peddling.
I don't like Bo, I'm glad he's gone but Riley isn't the answer.

To take over a 9 win team is not a rebuilding project. He was supposed to turn key and get us over the hill

He also won 10 games three years.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
Last year, Notre Dame went 4-8.

Last year, Michigan State went 3-9.

This year, Notre Dame is 5-1. And they look dramatically better than last year.

This year, Michigan State is 4-1. They're not and never have been a great offensive team, but that mean D is back.

I know we all are suffering through a bad season, but I think firing Riley at the end of this year is extremely stupid. I think he gets 1 more year to either succeed or hang himself. 4 years, even 5 really, should be normal for a coaching tenure.

Don't be fooled by this "Look at how far we've fallen" crap. We haven't been a national championship caliber team in 15+ years, but we can be a "good," even "great" team again either with Riley and these assistant coaches, or with a new regime put in place after a fair amount of time has passed. Emphasis on fair.

Just my two cents.

My spider sense is telling me Riley and Langs will never get the true power football that this state needs.

Perspective: Nebraska is never going to be a contender for conference and national championships as long as they keep telling one-another to keep losing seasons in perspective.

Hey, if Nebraska never wins another game ever again, at least the planet has not been annihilated in a nuclear holocaust!!!

Good post and a damn good question

Would you hire this:

Got into Stanford (no easy feat) - Played offense and defense. Transferred to Nebraska - two year starter with 24-2 record (off top of my head) and a national championship. Drafted as a DB and had a 6 year NFL career- defense. Became OC at top level football program within 5 years of becoming a football coach. In 2014 was a finalist for the Broyles award (top assistant coach in college football). Became a head coach of team that went 0-12 the year before and has them currently undefeated.

Looks like a great candidate to me.

Who cares what dantoni did or didn’t do? How does that help Nebraska start beating the directional cupcakes on our sched and not being 4 score dogs in our own house?

A losing culture with zero identity.

The next coach here is going to be in the same exact situation Pelini was.

I’m not a Pelini fan, but the people up here claiming that Riley had to rebuild this 9 win program he inherited and what is needed is YET MORE assistant turnover here after year 3 (canning the remainder of the assistants he got to hand pick coming here) are the delusional ones.

That’s a totally unintelligible position to argue anyway. Riley is supposed to get 4-5 years even though the team is regressing in order to be “fair” and “give him a chance” yet the assistants have to go prior to that?

What if Banker and Hughes and cav and Langs all need 4-5 years to get things going?
Well said.

This is just a flat out lie. Our best recruit in a long time, Bookie, is committed to Riley and loves his wife Dee. You can have an opinion on it, or what you'd like but your statement is incorrect

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Would you hire this:

Got into Stanford (no easy feat) - Played offense and defense. Transferred to Nebraska - two year starter with 24-2 record (off top of my head) and a national championship. Drafted as a DB and had a 6 year NFL career- defense. Became OC at top level football program within 5 years of becoming a football coach. In 2014 was a finalist for the Broyles award (top assistant coach in college football). Became a head coach of team that went 0-12 the year before and has them currently undefeated.

Looks like a great candidate to me.
"Currently undefeated" hell Riley had Nebraska undeafeted the first 7 games of his second season.

Just my two cents.....keeping Riley after this year would be extremely stupid. What, do you need more data points that Coach .500 is what he is?
Have you looked at next years schedule? It would be extremely stupid to fire him IMHO, because you aren't winning many games next year anyway with a new coaching philosophy trying to be implemented. This is why I think fans need to simmer down a bit! Hell you get Nick Saban in here next year they are losing a minimum of 5 games.

Think before you type people!

Reactions: leodisflowers
Have you looked at next years schedule? It would be extremely stupid to fire him IMHO, because you aren't winning many games next year anyway with a new coaching philosophy trying to be implemented. This is why I think fans need to simmer down a bit! Hell you get Nick Saban in here next year they are losing a minimum of 5 games.

This is the problem, people, (many including myself) feel their is a window for Frost that we don't want to miss out on.

This is the problem, people, (many including myself) feel their is a window for Frost that we don't want to miss out on.
No the problem is Frost isn't the only coach that can win ball games. If Frost was meant to be at Nebraska he will be at Nebraska. If he goes to an Ole Miss type school after this year, and we offer the following year and he doesn't except... Guess what guys he didn't want to be here in the first place.

You have to think long-term beyond just next season. Keeping Riley means delaying the rebuilding project another year. Nobody will expect the new coach to dominate next year with that schedule and coming off of another bad season. But he can start putting in his system and establishing his culture so that 2019 could be a pretty good year with a more favorable schedule.

If a coach like Frost is interested, you have to ask yourself who you think is going to be a better coach in 5 years: him or Mike Riley? Ohio St did the same thing with Fickell and Urban Meyer, the Cubs did it with Renteria and Maddon, etc.

No the problem is Frost isn't the only coach that can win ball games. If Frost was meant to be at Nebraska he will be at Nebraska. If he goes to an Ole Miss type school after this year, and we offer the following year and he doesn't except... Guess what guys he didn't want to be here in the first place.
So you're saying 'if it's meant to be he'll coach here?' Timing is everything

I love when people blame Riley's first losing season on Bo because he used bad language and said mean things about the fans and the AD. This would be a big deal if he were coaching your daughter's kindergarten basketball team. But he wasn't.

It's not twisting facts whatsoever. Our fanbase is delusional as I stated before, and if that was any coaches record at NU we would be running them out of town. Recent history proves that.
With your logic, the 1997 football team is delusional as well.

This is just a flat out lie. Our best recruit in a long time, Bookie, is committed to Riley and loves his wife Dee. You can have an opinion on it, or what you'd like but your statement is incorrect
Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, or Dabo Swinney gets 10 of those guys every year. If Riley was bringing in 5 of those guys every year I'd agree with you, but he's not.

Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, or Dabo Swinney gets 10 of those guys every year. If Riley was bringing in 5 of those guys every year I'd agree with you, but he's not.

We'll have to agree to disagree. Every guy that we are bringing to campus raves about Riley and the family atmosphere. Assistants help, but Riley is closing a lot of these guys more than 5+. I get your point about playing for a fiery coach, but these kids love Riley when they come in. The world has changed, and a lot of these kids need coddled. Also, Nick and Urban are probably at the two best jobs in CFB. Those places are going to get croots no matter what. NU is probably the 4th best job in the Big 10, and that is me being a homer. I think recruiting is the least of our worries with Riley. We can judge his performance on the field, but in the PR department, and off the field the guy and his team are light years ahead of where we have been.

This isn't directed at you, just adding on to the post, but also the people that are going crazy about walk-ons... Since Riley has been here our walkon quality rate has gone way up. We've landed some pretty big fish out of Nebraska that could have gone to the SD States of the world, but are starting to stay home again. For as much as people want to clamor about walkons, Kenny W and this staff are giving it attention and it is in a good place.

Reactions: SOHusker11
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT