ADVERTISEMENT

Pearl Harbor day....

spartanhusker

College Football Hall of Fame
May 29, 2001
....can't imagine the almost four years of horror that our soldiers and families went through.....almost all are gone now...we had a quiet man from Belle Plaine speak to our kids on two different occasions ...he was 19, a recent HS grad, shipped to Hawaii....was in the water for almost 18 hours before being rescued...at age 19....
One of our kids asked him "how often do you think about that day?"

"Every day of my life...."

Blessings and thanks to those amazing, courageous, scared, sacrificial people who carried our country through....

....can't imagine the almost four years of horror that our soldiers and families went through.....almost all are gone now...we had a quiet man from Belle Plaine speak to our kids on two different occasions ...he was 19, a recent HS grad, shipped to Hawaii....was in the water for almost 18 hours before being rescued...at age 19....
One of our kids asked him "how often do you think about that day?"

"Every day of my life...."

Blessings and thanks to those amazing, courageous, scared, sacrificial people who carried our country through....
They bombed our harbor and we unleashed the sun

Reactions: pharvey0829
My orders had me reporting to the USS Enterprise on December 6th 2001. I still have them.

If I had that same set and lived exactly 60 years previous, I'd be waiting at Pearl Harbor for the Big E to come back from trials just in time to wake up for the attack instead of Norfolk VA on the pier in perfect peace.

Reactions: huskerfan66
My grandfather was on the USS Reid that day. My dad and I talk about what that must have been like every year on this date. There's no way to prove this, but given that he operated an anti-aircraft gun and where his ship was anchored he could very well could have fired off some of the first shots at the Japanese that day.

He survived that day and later served in the Korean and Vietnam wars as a sea bee.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Reid_(DD-369)

My dad served in the South Pacific after Pearl Harbor.
He wasnt so hardened that he wouldnt drive a japanese vehicle or something like that and if he met a japanese person he would have been gracious.
When i took a semester of japanese language one semester in college however, he told me, 'oh, that's great, i'm glad you're taking that.'
Then he took a long, slow drag from his cigarette and as he exhaled he said, 'i could never do that.'
Followed by a long silence.

I met a Pearl Harbor veteran in 2014. He was 91 at the time. I was supposed to be working, but I must have talked with him for 15 minutes or more. He was all there and still working. I knew this was special and just listened. Said he had just got off his watch when the Japanese attacked.

My mother said there was a lot of anger towards the Japanese. Americans did not forget that easily.

At my Navy base we had a ceremony each year and invited Pearl Harbor survivors. In the 80s we had 15 to 20 of them. The last one I attended in 2018 we had two. One of them was in very good shape for being 96 and seemed to be somewhat of a character.
People who laugh live longer!

I met a Pearl Harbor veteran in 2014. He was 91 at the time. I was supposed to be working, but I must have talked with him for 15 minutes or more. He was all there and still working. I knew this was special and just listened. Said he had just got off his watch when the Japanese attacked.

My mother said there was a lot of anger towards the Japanese. Americans did not forget that easily.
Very true. Our local elevator manufactured flour branded rising sun. Needless to say the name was changed after pearl harbor.

What still amazes me to this day is all the 17 and 18 year old kids that fought and bleed for America. They are and will always be the greatest generation. God bless them and I thank them for their sacrifice because without them not many of us would be here today.

What still amazes me to this day is all the 17 and 18 year old kids that fought and bleed for America. They are and will always be the greatest generation. God bless them and I thank them for their sacrifice because without them not many of us would be here today.

They also made the best politicians.

My dad served in the South Pacific after Pearl Harbor.
He wasnt so hardened that he wouldnt drive a japanese vehicle or something like that and if he met a japanese person he would have been gracious.
When i took a semester of japanese language one semester in college however, he told me, 'oh, that's great, i'm glad you're taking that.'
Then he took a long, slow drag from his cigarette and as he exhaled he said, 'i could never do that.'
Followed by a long silence.
This has stayed with me all day.....thank you for sharing.....

I'd like to give them somewhat of a pass on that for several reasons, biggest being I can't imagine being the same coming out....
No I agree with you. I know from talking to my father about my grandfather who served he was not the same. I also know that and just looking at the downward trend I think for many they didn’t want the life they lead and the things they had to do to be placed onto their kids so they allowed their kids to have more without necessarily going through the efforts to earn it.

No I agree with you. I know from talking to my father about my grandfather who served he was not the same. I also know that and just looking at the downward trend I think for many they didn’t want the life they lead and the things they had to do to be placed onto their kids so they allowed their kids to have more without necessarily going through the efforts to earn it.
point well taken...

Reactions: baseball31ne
My grandfather was on the USS Reid that day. My dad and I talk about what that must have been like every year on this date. There's no way to prove this, but given that he operated an anti-aircraft gun and where his ship was anchored he could very well could have fired off some of the first shots at the Japanese that day.

He survived that day and later served in the Korean and Vietnam wars as a sea bee.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Reid_(DD-369)
I had an uncle who was on the Antares that day.

It is amazing. My son will turn 18 next May and is thinking about going to college 500 miles from home. I'm like, "WTF, he's still a baby." LOL I guess if guys can go to war at that age he'll survive without his Mom. My Dad got drafted and sent to Vietnam, but he was 20 at least.

dad was ww2 war veteran served in new guinea up in the jungles. jungle rot from the top of his ears to the bottom of his feet. kind of the poster man for ptsd but many had is worse. many had their young lives taken away.
when i have told other ww2 war vets from the pacific just what i printed above it was like i had the key to their stories. lucky enough to hear a wide variety of ww2 pacific stories and become friends. have spents hours and hours listening often feeling like they had just been waiting for me to tell their stories to.
kind of a twist on the pacific ww2 topic was meeting a japanese american who grew in ww2 prison camp. his parents had lost a fortune in land and property they had owned in the san fransico area worth perhaps hundreds of millions today. this man joined the marines in the late 50's and became part of the marines recon. group. served in se asia 59 and 60 long before we officially in viet nam.
192 with 86 by hand, think about that with nothing more being said. sworn secret to this day with one of the most fascinating and frightening stories i have ever heard.
anyway here's to the pearl harbor vet i knew and talked to whenever we seen each other who wouldn't give up his motorcycle and rode it around town well into his upper 80's. nice, nice guy that i can still see his warm smile.
sorry for rambling. need cliff to get it all down.

dad was ww2 war veteran served in new guinea up in the jungles. jungle rot from the top of his ears to the bottom of his feet. kind of the poster man for ptsd but many had is worse. many had their young lives taken away.
when i have told other ww2 war vets from the pacific just what i printed above it was like i had the key to their stories. lucky enough to hear a wide variety of ww2 pacific stories and become friends. have spents hours and hours listening often feeling like they had just been waiting for me to tell their stories to.
kind of a twist on the pacific ww2 topic was meeting a japanese american who grew in ww2 prison camp. his parents had lost a fortune in land and property they had owned in the san fransico area worth perhaps hundreds of millions today. this man joined the marines in the late 50's and became part of the marines recon. group. served in se asia 59 and 60 long before we officially in viet nam.
192 with 86 by hand, think about that with nothing more being said. sworn secret to this day with one of the most fascinating and frightening stories i have ever heard.
anyway here's to the pearl harbor vet i knew and talked to whenever we seen each other who wouldn't give up his motorcycle and rode it around town well into his upper 80's. nice, nice guy that i can still see his warm smile.
sorry for rambling. need cliff to get it all down.
Thank you for sharing this…. Many epic stories out there

I was watching a video of a pilot leave midway, fly clear over by japan, make the plane nose dive to drop a bomb on japan's carrier deck while getting shot at, and avoiding kamikazes...then fly all the way back on fumes...
and this plane was not the new 323 trillion dollar raptor stealth model...
it was pretty wild.

Last edited:
Reactions: baseball31ne
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT