ADVERTISEMENT

Patience is required: “We got a long way to go” fact of the day

mrruffin10

Redshirt Freshman
Dec 18, 2018
I read somthing that said 8 out of 11 people on our kickoff team were walk ons. Wow, that is a huge number. That 25 man freshman class that was mainly redshirted will be on the field next year! No shade against walk ons but that number should be closer 1 or 2..max 3. This just speaks to lack of depth which should improve starting this season.

Also, remember that NU is the only place where when a new coach takes over he has to drain the swamp, change the culture, build confidence, teach players how to win and get rid of the fear of losing. NU is the only place where every player on the team has the most fragile mindset ever.

Also, remember that NU is the only place where when a new coach takes over he has to drain the swamp, change the culture, build confidence, teach players how to win and get rid of the fear of losing. NU is the only place where every player on the team has the most fragile mindset ever.
Just remember bitching and moaning and yelling unacceptable is the only way to support the team. Demand everyone is fired, tweet negativity at coaches and players, that’s the ticket to prosperity.

Frost has made it clear that the walk-on program is a priority. We have the nation's largest program so we may as well allow these kids the chance to make their mark on the program.

I just hope we can emphasize containment next season!!

Frost has made it clear that the walk-on program is a priority. We have the nation's largest program so we may as well allow these kids the chance to make their mark on the program.

I just hope we can emphasize containment next season!!
I think the walk on program is built to produce a “few” studs NOT to have a unit out there with 8 walk ons man. They made their mark alright...on the guests scoreboard.

Reactions: huskerfan66
"we are only in year 2 of the walk on program" .... Bill Moos

Just remember bitching and moaning and yelling unacceptable is the only way to support the team. Demand everyone is fired, tweet negativity at coaches and players, that’s the ticket to prosperity.
And remember that these same people will say the bitching and moaning pushed the coaches to make the necessary changes and the success was actually a result of cantankerous lonely men taking out their existential frustration on an amatuer football team. So for snowflakes, and chads it is a lose-lose. If you are patient then your low expectations are allowing the program to slide, and then when the team is good you have to hear the "brave" ones spout about how their high expectations lead to success.

I read somthing that said 8 out of 11 people on our kickoff team were walk ons. Wow, that is a huge number. That 25 man freshman class that was mainly redshirted will be on the field next year! No shade against walk ons but that number should be closer 1 or 2..max 3. This just speaks to lack of depth which should improve starting this season.

I’d be curious if there was 8 out of 11 vs Iowa. There was really no excuse to have Brody Belt returning kicks.

Special teams need to actually be special next year. If not, Frost needs to take heat for keeping Dewitt around.

I’d be curious if there was 8 out of 11 vs Iowa. There was really no excuse to have Brody Belt returning kicks.

Special teams need to actually be special next year. If not, Frost needs to take heat for keeping Dewitt around.
The problem is either you risk starters on special teams and possibly further diminish already thin depth. It wasn’t just belt but plenty of walk on blockers on returns as well. Taylor Britt returned one and it look like nobody got blocked. I was nervous about injury.

Or find someone to kick it out of the end zone.
3iqejz.jpg

Reactions: TFrazier
we used the short high kickoffs very effectively against Maryland ... I don't recall us doing this against Iowa

why????

The problem is either you risk starters on special teams and possibly further diminish already thin depth. It wasn’t just belt but plenty of walk on blockers on returns as well. Taylor Britt returned one and it look like nobody got blocked. I was nervous about injury.

I know we had some freshman redshirting who use one of their 4 games down the stretch on special teams. That’s why I’m curious how many on ST were walk ons down the stretch.

Depth needs to get better but teams with far less talent look far more competent than our special teams unit. There really is no excuse for how bad they were in all facets this year.

You think that is the ticket to prosperity?

we used the short high kickoffs very effectively against Maryland ... I don't recall us doing this against Iowa

why????
Every kickoff was short and high, except the one that was returned. That one was kicked deep.

Reactions: jlb321
Every kickoff was short and high, except the one that was returned. That one was kicked deep.

We have struggled in coverage all year - we found an effective strategy to mitigate this and used it against Maryland and initially against Iowa - then decided to change it up??

genius

why????

Because it works against a team like Maryland...not Iowa. Winking

source.gif

Because it works against a team like Maryland...not Iowa. Winking

source.gif

Team rankings KO return yardage:

Iowa 3rd in conference 22.9 yards
Maryland 4th -- 22.7 yards

(maryland was ahead of Iowa until we played them)

Individual KO return average

#1 in conference -- Javon Leake ------Maryland

giphy.gif

We have struggled in coverage all year - we found an effective strategy to mitigate this and used it against Maryland and initially against Iowa - then decided to change it up??

genius
I think they changed it up so that posters like you would the opportunity to lose their crap once again.

Just an FYI, coaches change things up all the time to see if they might catch the other team off guard. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. It didn’t work this time. So go ahead and be an internet genius and let them know how dumb they are for mixing it up.

Reactions: headcard

Except they are getting worse, worse than Riley coached teams.

Team rankings KO return yardage:

Iowa 3rd in conference 22.9 yards
Maryland 4th -- 22.7 yards

(maryland was ahead of Iowa until we played them)

Individual KO return average

#1 in conference -- Javon Leake ------Maryland

giphy.gif

OZWHbQo.gif

I think they changed it up so that posters like you would the opportunity to lose their crap once again.

Just an FYI, coaches change things up all the time to see if they might catch the other team off guard. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. It didn’t work this time. So go ahead and be an internet genius and let them know how dumb they are for mixing it up.

that decision to "change things up" may have very well cost this team a bowl game
they must have got bored with what was working

giphy.gif

I agree. Go back and rewatch our 1994 orange bowl win over Miami. After we scored the go ahead TD we kicked off to Miami. Who made the tackle for Nebraska on that kickoff? A little known underclassman named Grant Wistrom.

I could see that if it wasn’t for Frost’s response after the game in regards to the kickoff return. It was a bad look for a HC.

I could see that if it wasn’t for Frost’s response after the game in regards to the kickoff return. It was a bad look for a HC.

FROST ON IOWA'S KICKOFF RETURN FOR TOUCHDOWN
“I have to find that out. I’m just being honest. We went into the game not wanting to kick to them. We thought our coverage unit could do a good job. We were going to pooch the first couple. I just got done calling the series and didn’t make it over to the kickoff team."

the special teams coach might have gone rogue

Iowa had 3 walk on starters on Black Friday. Rt Guard, Safety, and of course the Kicker. All 3 were awarded scholarships after the game.

FROST ON IOWA'S KICKOFF RETURN FOR TOUCHDOWN
“I have to find that out. I’m just being honest. We went into the game not wanting to kick to them. We thought our coverage unit could do a good job. We were going to pooch the first couple. I just got done calling the series and didn’t make it over to the kickoff team."

seems like the special teams coach might have gone rogue

Add on that the kickoff came right after the defensive touchdown. So unless he was also calling the defense I don’t know how he couldn’t have made time for special teams.

Iowa had 3 walk on starters on Black Friday. Rt Guard, Safety, and of course the Kicker. All 3 were awarded scholarships after the game.

the safety walk on is the one that intercepted Martinez at the goal line right before the half

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT