ADVERTISEMENT

Pass rush

Pennsyhusker

Athletic Director
Aug 6, 2009
Harveys Lake, PA
I am not a fan of Mat Millen but he hit the nail on the head when he pointed out that the achilles heal of the Nebraska defense is that we have zero pass rush. And this is a problem that has been going on for about four years now.

This would have been a totally different game if we had defensive lineman who are more disruptive and can get in the face of the QB on a consistent basis.

If I am Frost I am telling my coaches that recruiting some difference makers on the defensive line is an absolute priority.

Everyone on here likes to bitch about our secondary. But I thought they played ok today. Well enough to keep us in the game. Bootle is the real deal. But any secondary is going to get torched if the QB can stand back in the pocket and have five to six seconds to look over the field and throw the ball without being hurried in the slightest.

And this lack of talented pass rushers is something Frost inherited. To blame Frost for our current defensive woes (other than the dumb penalties) is just ignorant.

I am not a fan of Mat Millen but he hit the nail on the head when he pointed out that the achilles heal of the Nebraska defense is that we have zero pass rush. And this is a problem that has been going on for about four years now.

This would have been a totally different game if we had defensive lineman who are more disruptive and can get in the face of the QB on a consistent basis.

If I am Frost I am telling my coaches that recruiting some difference makers on the defensive line is an absolute priority.

Everyone on here likes to bitch about our secondary. But I thought they played ok today. Well enough to keep us in the game. Bootle is the real deal. But any secondary is going to get torched if the QB can stand back in the pocket and have five to six seconds to look over the field and throw the ball without being hurried in the slightest.

And this lack of talented pass rushers is something Frost inherited. To blame Frost for our current defensive woes (other than the dumb penalties) is just ignorant.
We were most often just playing them straight up and trying to prevent their QB from taking off and running. We rarely sent the house at the guy and if we did they picked it up or we left a lane for their QB to run. BTW, Purdue's O line has learned to hold like Wisconsin's. We talked a great game about turning guys loose to get after the QB but it looked to me like we dialed it back to try to contain this guy and IMO it killed us.

We were most often just playing them straight up and trying to prevent their QB from taking off and running. We rarely sent the house at the guy and if we did they picked it up or we left a lane for their QB to run. BTW, Purdue's O line has learned to hold like Wisconsin's. We talked a great game about turning guys loose to get after the QB but it looked to me like we dialed it back to try to contain this guy and IMO it killed us.
Agree 100%

Any way you slice it, we had no pass rush. QB had a clean perfect pocket to read a book in for the majority of the game.

Reactions: dinglefritz
We are starting a converted TE and a guy recruited as a strongside 4-3 Base end for a reason.

Riley only recruited one real 3-4 rush end his entire time here in Quayshon Alexander and he's out injured for the season.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Tell me what big 10 team doesn't tackle the defensive lineman besides us and Rutgers, the rule which allows you to hold as long as your arms are inside it ok? Now one dumbass rule either let them hold or can't use hand to grab

There isn't a 'natural' pass rusher on this team, and a 3-4 isn't going to help our glaring lack of speed and rush ability at the LB spot.

Personally, I think we'd look better in a 4-3 this year, because our LBs don't fill gaps and we have some stout DT and DE. Stille is a pretty effective rush end in a 4-3, given a chance, I think he's playing out of position. Semantics probably.

Agree, we need major major upgrades on the O and D lines. They are our biggest weakness right now. Bring in some Juco guys asap. To fill those spots.

Absolutely right, think of some of Nebraska's best teams and people mention the DL.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
I think the pass rush issues have been overstated the past few years. But today, there was absolutely no pass rush. Our defensive line and outside linebackers did nothing all game.

Reactions: mmunso7
Gifford seems like he engaged the o lineman but never used his hands to fight off actually none of the linemen tried that they did more bull rushing

Tell me what big 10 team doesn't tackle the defensive lineman besides us and Rutgers, the rule which allows you to hold as long as your arms are inside it ok? Now one dumbass rule either let them hold or can't use hand to grab
Same goes for all big 10 dbs holding receivers so they can't get separation Wisconsin is really good at getting by with that

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT