ADVERTISEMENT

Oz and Wilbon had 0 carries today

regionsdoc

Senior
Feb 4, 2004
against a terrible run defense, on the road, with a backup QB.
That should be grounds for firing right there.
I bet better teams than the huskers would figure out ways to use them.
If we didn't pass 50 times a game, our best RBs could get on the field, and our running game might look better. We've all seen what Wilbon can do (the kid has vision). And oz' decisive cut back on the swing pass was awesome.

Ozigbo had a really nice run on the swing pass, which was basically a sweep right - I don't really care if they pitch him the ball or throw it overhand. But they ran that play one more time and Ozigbo dropped it, so apparently that was proof positive that he should not touch the ball the rest of the game.

Reactions: GammaxuvirHusker
Must be more important than vision and decisiveness, as Newby demonstrates.

Newby has absolutely horrible decision making and hesitates all too often to make for a starting back. There have been plenty of holes that he could hit yet he takes too long and the gap closes.

Newby did have one run where he didn't go down on first contact. Guess that is a positive?

Put him in on a play where he is the runner. Then he would not have to know how to block

Put him in on a play where he is the runner. Then he would not have to know how to block

They're predictable enough on third and short, no reason to be even more predictable by letting the opposing defense know that a run is coming.

against a terrible run defense, on the road, with a backup QB.
That should be grounds for firing right there.
I bet better teams than the huskers would figure out ways to use them.
If we didn't pass 50 times a game, our best RBs could get on the field, and our running game might look better. We've all seen what Wilbon can do (the kid has vision). And oz' decisive cut back on the swing pass was awesome.
Langsdorf says we need to be balanced. Our best RB doesn't see the field because he's not as good at pass blocking as others. That tells me that Langsdorf wants to be a pass first OC regardless of what he says. Balance my a$$.

It does not seem like we have a BEST running back according to our coaches.

Langsdorf says we need to be balanced. Our best RB doesn't see the field because he's not as good at pass blocking as others. That tells me that Langsdorf wants to be a pass first OC regardless of what he says. Balance my a$$.
Yep..he's the best. That's why he's 4th on the depth chart.....

Yep..he's the best. That's why he's 4th on the depth chart.....

I'm reminded of a similar situation we had with our last NFL-minded coach. Brandon Jackson & Marlon Lucky. It was clear to the casual fan that BJax was the better pure runner, but since we ran a system that required a RB to be good at pass pro, it took too long into the season before we got to see BJax on the field more.

Newby has his moments, but he doesn't consistently have good vision for the running lanes. From what little we've actually been able to see of Ozigbo and Wilbon, they appear to be the better pure runners.

They suck, they were recruited by Pelini. Didn't you hear? These great coaches require better talent. Wait didn't I hear Riley was good at developing lesser talent. That his teams got better during the year. That he was really good at in game adjustments. That he would mold the style around the type of talent on the team.

This. Pick 4 or 5 plays that you put him in there for, that are straight runs. He is so much faster than our other RB's and we need that type of home run hitter speed on the field.

Reactions: frankluv
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT