ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Youtube Huge Price Increase

RedCap

Nebraska Legend
Sep 29, 2001
I've been using Youtube as my source of TV channels and been happy with the service. I mainly wanted it for BTN during the football season and the normal news channels including the cable news channels during the rest of the year. Now Youtube has come out with an outrageous price increase of $15 MORE per month. I'm not going to pay that which brings the total cost to over $60 not including Internet service.

My question is what is a better and cheaper alternative that just provides BTN and the news stuff?

I've been doing SiriusXM less than $10 a month if you threaten to leave. Can stream from any device. It's audio only, but I'm ok with that.

Reactions: jedimasterjed
I've been doing SiriusXM less than $10 a month if you threaten to leave. Can stream from any device. It's audio only, but I'm ok with that.
Yeah but what if you are deaf
1HuT.gif

I've been using Youtube as my source of TV channels and been happy with the service. I mainly wanted it for BTN during the football season and the normal news channels including the cable news channels during the rest of the year. Now Youtube has come out with an outrageous price increase of $15 MORE per month. I'm not going to pay that which brings the total cost to over $60 not including Internet service.

My question is what is a better and cheaper alternative that just provides BTN and the news stuff?

Check out Hulu Live. Last I checked it was $54.00

I was thinking of starting this same thread. Except I don't subscribe to any streaming service at this time. I did think of trying YTTV at the end of January when Playstation Vue ceased operations. So, Google thinks that people are ok with a $15 jump in monthly fees? We're talking a 30% increase. That's with no sports on. I hardly turn on the tv any more.

This sucks!.... I canceled DirecTV earlier this year to keep costs down and now it’s going to be just as much to use YouTube TV as DirecTV!

Reactions: HuskerDana
Check out Hulu Live. Last I checked it was $54.00
We use Hulu Live and I like it.

I liked Playstation Vue when I did the trial of it, the DVR had some issues but they may have resolved them.

Or...I have heard...allegedly...there are websites out there where you can just stream the game or really any sporting event off your computer without subscribing to any kind of TV service.

I use Hulu love... it’s fairly comparable to YouTube and now evidently cheaper and BTN is included

I was thinking of starting this same thread. Except I don't subscribe to any streaming service at this time. I did think of trying YTTV at the end of January when Playstation Vue ceased operations. So, Google thinks that people are ok with a $15 jump in monthly fees? We're talking a 30% increase. That's with no sports on. I hardly turn on the tv any more.

Depends on how you spin it I guess. On one hand, you have a price increase during a rocky economic time. Not smart. On the other hand, people have more time to watch "tv" than they did a few months ago and streaming is booming. Sports are on the verge of coming back, and Youtube TV is probably one of the few that carries them.

Squeezing people who are cornered sometimes does work.

I'll be interested to follow this story.

We use Hulu Live and I like it.

I liked Playstation Vue when I did the trial of it, the DVR had some issues but they may have resolved them.

Or...I have heard...allegedly...there are websites out there where you can just stream the game or really any sporting event off your computer without subscribing to any kind of TV service.
I like the sound of the latter. I've liked it for many years.

Reactions: TheBeav815
I've been wanting to ditch dish network for youtube tv, but its hard with 4 other adults in my house and a toddler who loves Nickelodeon. Funnily enough, i was a bit excited they included it, but with the price hike, it is less enticing. Still definitely cheaper than dish.

Here is a comparison tool that lets you figure out what is the best streaming/live tv option for you. Kinda sucks ball that Youtube TV is doing this, but they look to be still the best option for me and what I want for channels. It lets you put in your zip code and see what services have the channels you want.

I did also see they added some channels, the only one that is really worth a crap is Paramount Channel, so now I can start watching Yellowstone.

https://www.suppose.tv/tv

Netflix certainly spoiled alot of folks, but I feel like a lot of cord cutters felt like they could get 98% of the tv for 5% of the cost. Which is probably not true unless you account share.

In effect what's happened is that you are paying every media owner for the right to view, rather than a packaging agent. When you add up the cost of the media consumption of several sources, its maybe a little less than cable but in the same general ball park.

That's for media content. Where people are saving big is they don't need another $80 a month in DVR boxes from the cable companies and the $35 a month in taxes and fees.

Streaming just works on your hardware (granted that hardware is anywhere from a $35 Fire to a $3500 gaming pc).

Saw this last night so I started looking. The nice thing about youtube.tv is that we are allowed 6 streams. Hulu live is only 2 unless you want to pay $10 more a month. Plus Youtube.tv has unlimited DVR and Hulu is 50 hours. Not such a big deal but just pointing out the difference.

So stay with Youtube.tv for 65 a month or switch to Hulu Live + for 64 a month since we would need more than two streams.

I looked at Sling but they don't carry BTN.

Netflix for $11 a month, Amazon Prime, part of the Amazon suite of services, $11 a month and $2 a month for Hulu. It was a black Friday special and decent over the air digital broadcasts. So, under $25 for more TV than I can imagine ever tapping into.

We've got YTTV, Hulu (not live), Netflix and Prime - and even with the price increase it's still all significantly cheaper than what I was paying for DirecTV when we quit. I might just pause YTTV until a sport worth watching comes back.

Reactions: saluno22
I don't watch tv or keep track of modern cinema.

I just watch youtube, sports/movies from "special sites". I've been on a 1970's movie kick lately.

When I get a glimpse of what my wife watches on TV these days, it just turns me off of ever investing in it again.

Reactions: TheBeav815
Question: Between Netflix and Prime who has better content? Mind Hunter and Ozark are a must for me, but I can junk Netflix and get it for a month when those next seasons are released.
I have both now, but want to ditch one, trying to find something to watch on either one to kill a night can be mind numbing.

Question: Between Netflix and Prime who has better content? Mind Hunter and Ozark are a must for me, but I can junk Netflix and get it for a month when those next seasons are released.
I have both now, but want to ditch one, trying to find something to watch on either one to kill a night can be mind numbing.
Tough call.... I'd lean to Netflix. If you're burnt out on those pick up basic Hulu for a month or two.

Netflix IMO.

I personally watch very little live TV content. Once you break the habit of channel surfing I promise you will not miss it.

We have access to Hulu Live because our in-laws offered to let us on the account, but I very rarely watch any live TV on it. I'd rather play video games than watch TV if I'm going to sit in front of a screen, unless there is football on. If we didn't have that I would just *ahem* "stream" Husker games and Bears games and be perfectly happy only paying for internet.

When my wife and I are going to watch something we stream it. We have Netflix (all free from the in-laws). She had a Hulu account before her parents got Live, and I have Prime for the shipping so we would watch The Americans on that before it got really boring. She watches way more than I do.

Reactions: 9and4
Here's my question:
I'm thinking about pausing youtube tv for four weeks. (Other options just don't have what I want)

Is Prime showing live sports like baseball when it comes back on in July? Has anyone ever watched live sports on Prime?
Does the ESPN app allow for live sports?
Thanks

Just so you guys know I've heard you can get hulu live shared accounts on ebay for like $20. Its probably shady but you can get the content for a lower price.

Since these services do not have contracts, I think this is the perfect time to drop all live TV. Use an antenna and go with the streaming services. You can come back with live TV if and when football season starts.

Reactions: tpmcg

they did a study and found prime was superior....

whatever gets me the most N games this year and im good.
beyond that, id watch colgate give columbia solid thrashing, otherwise.

If you love yourself, and your family, do not get Fubo.TV. I had it one year, before BTN was on YouTube TV, and it was freaking terrible. The moment the game started, their servers crashed for lack of bandwidth.

Reactions: bigboxes
We have Hulu TV and it’s okay. The user interface is kind of a pain, especially the DVR portion.

We pay for ad free, but some shows still make you watch ads. It makes me miss cable, until I see the price of cable.

It was only a matter of time before these cheaper options started jacking up the prices. I have contemplated going to youtube TV or another options for live tv but if they keep raising prices it won't be worth it. I have DirectTV with all the channels I need for $65. I pretty well only use it for sports. Once March madness is over I pause my service again until football starts in Sept. So basically only paying for half the year. My kids and wife use netflix for all their stuff. We use antenna for local channels.

Reactions: saluno22
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT