ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Trying to “buy American”

Amana...I had two companies come out and both said 13 was the way to go....hmmmm. They both said it is probably a 2 ton unit, numbers on side are not readable anymore

As far as how noticeable its going to be on your electric bill, probably not much. 2 ton units really don't draw much current, so maybe 20 bucks a month tops during the summer (depending on your usage rate) assuming you've got an average amount of insulation. Amana isn't the most reliable brand out there but its generally a generic unit so parts are cheap. Don't get me wrong, it's not like the thing is going to break down all the time but its not gonna be a 20 year investment.

How old is your house? Plaster walls or drywall?

As far as how noticeable its going to be on your electric bill, probably not much. 2 ton units really don't draw much current, so maybe 20 bucks a month tops during the summer (depending on your usage rate) assuming you've got an average amount of insulation. Amana isn't the most reliable brand out there but its generally a generic unit so parts are cheap. Don't get me wrong, it's not like the thing is going to break down all the time but its not gonna be a 20 year investment.

How old is your house? Plaster walls or drywall?

Drywall...30 y/o home. What kind would you recommend if not Amana??

but it isn’t easy. Craftsman, Toro, green works, Black n Decker ... Leaf blowers, weed whackers, edgers, etc, all “made in China.” Had to search a number of different stores to find “Worx” (at Menards). Would be good to bring these companies back.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyuup . . . shifted our manufacturing base to 3rd world countries . . . and then those same companies that exported our future lobbied to import tens of millions from the 3rd world to take the service sector jobs that would comprise our "new" economy . . .

Reactions: NikkiSixx
Drywall...30 y/o home. What kind would you recommend if not Amana??
Amana is fine, absolutely nothing wrong with their equipment, particularly for your situation. JMO, carrier and american standard (trane) are the best for traditional equipment but if you aren't spending the money on super high efficiency (don't) then it doesn't make much difference. You'll have minor stupid maintenance more often with an amana like capacitors, contactors and whatnot but the warranty on them is good enough to get you through the life of the unit.
I only asked about the drywall because if you have plaster then there's probably no vapor barrier in your walls and that's a way bigger consideration than people realize when it comes to sizing your AC and your comfort level. Temperature isn't nearly as important as drawing the moisture out of the air. A 1250 sq ft house built in 1990 with gas heat: 2 ton ac, no question. Quite honestly, if it was me I wouldn't be replacing the existing unit unless the maintenance and repair costs are piling up though. Youll never see a ROI with what youre describing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT