OT: Systems Outage

cruelhalo

Defensive Coordinator
Jun 27, 2003
Knocking stuff down all over the place. My personal experiences today so far:

1. Airlines
2. Internet
3. Bank

They say it isnt a cyber attack and it’s a patch but it seems odd.

Reactions: king_kong_
The article I read was CRWD’s patch for airline security. So I guess I’m ignorant as to why it would cause other outages.
It was applied in globally distributed cloud service datacenters, not just locally to airlines

Everyone’s compute resources are shared nowadays between the big 3 (really 2, sorry GOOGL) cloud service providers

Common practice, disruptive outcome

Reactions: sklarbodds
The article I read was CRWD’s patch for airline security. So I guess I’m ignorant as to why it would cause other outages.
And it appears to have caused outages worldwide. One thing that is nice about the good old stock market is Crowdstrike's share price took a healthy hit this morning. This will help ensure that something like that doesn't happen very often.

My uneducated guess is that there's some sort of security default with Crowdstrike's system that shuts everything down. It was a software update issue this time, but better that than allowing some malware by evil dictatorships like Russia, Iran, North Korea or China to go undetected.

Reactions: dinglefritz
It was applied in globally distributed cloud service datacenters, not just locally to airlines

Everyone’s compute resources are shared nowadays between the big 3 (really 2, sorry GOOGL) cloud service providers

Common practice, disruptive outcome
Yep. Crowdstrike is used EVERYWHERE. So much stuff is down. This is nationwide

it's not so much that Crowdstrike is used everywhere as it is everyone's services are delivered from MSFT datacenters, where the update was pushed

and it's global, not just nationwide

Reactions: sklarbodds
I have a friend who is retired from 3M. When the computers and the internet first became a thing he set up the internet service for 3 M. The dude is a genius. He’s a PHD chemistry guy who was a visiting prof at Minnesota. After he retired he taught grad level chemistry at USD. His hobby is computers and electronics. He says that the inter connectivity of systems and our reliance on computers is a huge national security risk.

He started a HAM radio club and says when the rest of us are screwed by a cyber attack or selective bomb he’ll still be able to function and communicate. His workshop is lined with all kinds of transistor bulbs and electronic parts. He can diagnose and fix just about anything.

I have a friend who is retired from 3M. When the computers and the internet first became a thing he set up the internet service for 3 M. The dude is a genius. He’s a PHD chemistry guy who was a visiting prof at Minnesota. After he retired he taught grad level chemistry at USD. His hobby is computers and electronics. He says that the inter connectivity of systems and our reliance on computers is a huge national security risk.

He started a HAM radio club and says when the rest of us are screwed by a cyber attack or selective bomb he’ll still be able to function and communicate. His workshop is lined with all kinds of transistor bulbs and electronic parts. He can diagnose and fix just about anything.
Oh boy here we go again.

• Haha
Reactions: Charlie Marlow
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT