ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Stolen Valor

So I know we are all totally against lying about being in the armed forces...

But, it is still cool to use stolen valor if it helps you get laid, right?

Because I have been a doctor, helicopter pilot, space shuttle captain, actor, lawyer, pro baseball player...and I am running out of fake identities to help me get some beaver.

Because I have been a doctor, helicopter pilot, space shuttle captain, actor, lawyer, pro baseball player...and I am running out of fake identities to help me get some beaver.

Have you considered....and hear me out now...

....just being yourself??

(but the answer to your question is yes)

• Haha
Reactions: SuperBigFan
If he can’t give you details without fumbling through his phone, he’s full of shit.

This.

I served in the Navy 10 years and that service ended 12 years ago and I only knew the guys in my 80 man division in boot camp a little over 3 months and I can tell you nearly every one of their names and where they're from.

‘Sommelier’ is a sure-fire option there…

Ask him what his MOS was. Most likely if he is real, he will tell you a number. I personally was an 0311. Any Marines know an 03 is infantry, and 0311 is a basic rifleman. Any Marine knows that much. If he fumbles and rattles off some job title, ask him what the number is for that because you had a friend that was 03. Generally speaking, Stolen Valor types will say they were some giant badass in whatever respective service they were in. Often times they will claim their records are sealed and they are not allowed to talk about that high speed stuff they did, even though they openly brag about the cool stuff they did. Other service members (especially in the service they are claiming) can usually sniff them out pretty easy.
Coworker was in combat in Desert Storm. He gets pissed about the stolen valor stuff. He will always ask a “homeless vet” his MOS before helping the guy out. 95 pct of the time its BS.

Reactions: Hugo_Stiglitz7
Why do you need to know? Unless it is directly impacting others in some significant and material way I'd just let it alone.
Knowing that someone is a con can keep you out of trouble. Especially if they are forced upon you like a fellow employee.
Obviously some warning lights are coming on.

Last edited:
I have been a doctor, helicopter pilot, space shuttle captain, actor, lawyer, pro baseball player...and I am running out of fake identities to help me get some beaver.
3mwnyr.jpg

Long story short, I've got this guy at work who claims to have served in the marines. I myself never served but can not stand a liar, especially about military service. Asking those who served how I can find out if he did or did not. I have gathered all the info I can from the guy but every time I search, literally nothing comes up tying him to any military service. I have buttered him up with asking about rank, where he trained, ect. but when I asked about what company, division and he started to stumble and started searching hard on his phone for answers.
Ask him the name of his Drill Instructors and his rifle.

Every Marine never forgets those and will rattle that $hit off without hesitation.

Semper Fi

Reactions: RedBaloneyPony
Ask him what his MOS was. Most likely if he is real, he will tell you a number. I personally was an 0311. Any Marines know an 03 is infantry, and 0311 is a basic rifleman. Any Marine knows that much. If he fumbles and rattles off some job title, ask him what the number is for that because you had a friend that was 03. Generally speaking, Stolen Valor types will say they were some giant badass in whatever respective service they were in. Often times they will claim their records are sealed and they are not allowed to talk about that high speed stuff they did, even though they openly brag about the cool stuff they did. Other service members (especially in the service they are claiming) can usually sniff them out pretty easy.
Semper Fi.

Long story short, I've got this guy at work who claims to have served in the marines. I myself never served but can not stand a liar, especially about military service. Asking those who served how I can find out if he did or did not. I have gathered all the info I can from the guy but every time I search, literally nothing comes up tying him to any military service. I have buttered him up with asking about rank, where he trained, ect. but when I asked about what company, division and he started to stumble and started searching hard on his phone for answers.
I don’t really get pissed about it, I just think you’re pathetic if you try and pass yourself off as a member of the military. It would depend on what the end game was too. I did business with a lady in Lincoln. An old secretary of hers, but still fiends, had some guy sending her texts and emails claiming he was in the Navy. Said he wanted to meet up with her when he got back from his “secret deployment.”

She asked me if I thought the dude was military. I said, we don’t tell people we’re on a “secret deployment” if we’re really on a secret deployment.
I got a good laugh over it, but I told her to tell her friend to stop talking to the loser.

Space shuttle captain huh? I did a little time as a space shuttle door gunner for a bit, so we definitely shared some of the same filtered air. ;)

1909818_701798863208262_7360948307374418092_n.jpg

Vagina depth inspector has always worked for me.

And by “always” I mean never…at least that I can remember. And I’ve taken home some women who I’m guessing were barely 4’s BEFORE their freshmen 20(50?).

Gotta lower your standards to raise your average though. The mark on the chalkboard the next morning is always nice and thin regardless.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: SuperBigFan
Vagina depth inspector has always worked for me.

And by “always” I mean never…at least that I can remember. And I’ve taken home some women who I’m guessing were barely 4’s BEFORE their freshmen 20(50?).

Gotta lower your standards to raise your average though. The mark on the chalkboard the next morning is always nice and thin regardless.
No shame in smashing 4s and 5s. Helps with technique and stamina.

I find ir alarming that you are confusing my responses with being alarmed. I'm not, like...at all.

I personally think it's a really silly thing to concern yourself with and I wonder if he's considered the ramifications of ratting this guy out? I live by two rules I have zero flex on...don't make waves with your neighbors... and your co workers....those relationships never heal if they go south and you have to spend to much time with both....If you rat the guy out, and anyone finds out...how are you going to be viewed by your co-workers after??... or worse yet the guy loses his job, what did you gain? The guy could have issues in his head you're unaware of (and anyone who would lie about this subject has a screw loose cause you shouldn't do it)...who knows what kind of shit storm you could be starting.
Just going to comment. I don’t intend to “rat” guy out to anyone. He is a custodian at my school who finds me on my lunch hour to bullshit nonstop about being in marines. Is it not warranted I find some proof before I tell him to bugger off with his marine talk? That’s the reason I asked, wanted a place to search for more info

I was stationed on Kadena AB Okinawa my last 3 years. I always told people I was on a tropical vacation. That was 35 years ago and by the way my AFSC was 81150.
I don’t really get pissed about it, I just think you’re pathetic if you try and pass yourself off as a member of the military. It would depend on what the end game was too. I did business with a lady in Lincoln. An old secretary of hers, but still fiends, had some guy sending her texts and emails claiming he was in the Navy. Said he wanted to meet up with her when he got back from his “secret deployment.”

She asked me if I thought the dude was military. I said, we don’t tell people we’re on a “secret deployment” if we’re really on a secret deployment.
I got a good laugh over it, but I told her to tell her friend to stop talking to the loser.
There are plenty of secret deployments

Just going to comment. I don’t intend to “rat” guy out to anyone. He is a custodian at my school who finds me on my lunch hour to bullshit nonstop about being in marines. Is it not warranted I find some proof before I tell him to bugger off with his marine talk? That’s the reason I asked, wanted a place to search for more info
How do we know you aren’t lying about being in the marines?

Secret deployment is code for "married"

As vet of both Just Cause in Panama and Desert Shield/ Storm in the Gulf, I despise the fact that people fabricate stories about their military accomplishments. Too many servicemen and service women lost their lives defending our freedoms, for someone, who didn't serve, to pretend as if they did, or to even embellish their service record by claiming to have been in a war, or to have been in a special operations role.

As for this chap in question, perhaps he wanted to serve but couldn't, or maybe he was medically discharged or washed out of boot camp. Maybe he comes from a long line of people who served, and he didn't, so there is some sort of regret. I don't know hell, maybe he actually served. When I was in the Air Force, my AFCS was 208XA now it is 1AX1, sometime in the last 25 years it changed. If someone asked me, I could tell you what it was, but if someone looked it up, I would look like I was full of shit because that AFCS doesn't exist anymore. I haven't committed to memory the new AFCS, so I would have to look it up. Perhaps the Marine Corps have also changed some things around.

Reactions: mgbreis
As a veteran and longtime friends of other veterans- the truth is the more smoke you blow the less you did. We don’t care to talk about it unless asked and then it is in short answers. The valor is in us and recognized as such. No need to run the mouth.

100% agree with the poster. There are certain things you don't lie about and military service is one of the most important, followed by education credentials and employment history. I never served but I respect and honor those that did. Many people get special benefits in employment for being a veteran so yes, it does impact the workplace. Real veterans deserve them. Phonies do not.
For a time in the 2000s it was even illegal (I still think it should be) to lie about military service. GWB signed the Stolen Valor Act in 2005 but it was struck down by the Supreme Court in 2012 due to free speech violations.

Reactions: baseball31ne
100% agree with the poster. There are certain things you don't lie about and military service is one of the most important, followed by education credentials and employment history. I never served but I respect and honor those that did. Many people get special benefits in employment for being a veteran so yes, it does impact the workplace. Real veterans deserve them. Phonies do not.
For a time in the 2000s it was even illegal (I still think it should be) to lie about military service. GWB signed the Stolen Valor Act in 2005 but it was struck down by the Supreme Court in 2012 due to free speech violations.
Shoot I bet 75% of people like about either education and/or employment history in one way or another.

In all fairness, I was a Marine and served from 85-93. Most of the time I cant remember what my MOS # was (1345 I looked it up). I cant remember what my recruit platoon number was. I can barely remember how to tear down an M16 and I used to be able to do that blindfolded. After 30 years, all I can remember is how much I loved being in the Corp. 30 years ago, I'm pretty sure that last wasn't true. So give the guy a break, with all the combat, PTSD, and time, some of these guys simply don't remember what we think they should.

This was not directed at resdog851, his post was simply the one I responded to. Stolen Valor sucks and so do the aholes that claim it but if that's what you have to do to give your life meaning then it really isn't any skin off my back. I just feel sorry that your life is so miserable.

Reactions: resdog851
Chris Kyle comes to mind, he lied about beating up Jesse Ventura in a bar to help his "American Sniper" book sales (Ventura sued him for defamation and won) I'm not sure what was true or wasn't in his book.
Didn't Kyle die before Ventura sued his estate? Pretty hard for Kyle to prove he was telling the truth when he was dead. Pretty shitty thing for Ventura to do since it didn't really effect him and anything he got came from Kyle's wife and kid.

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
Didn't Kyle die before Ventura sued his estate? Pretty hard for Kyle to prove he was telling the truth when he was dead. Pretty shitty thing for Ventura to do since it didn't really effect him and anything he got came from Kyle's wife and kid.
Not to derail the thread but that's totally wrong. How overwhelming must the evidence be for a jury to rule against a recently killed war hero? I side with the jury.

Last edited:
Shoot I bet 75% of people like about either education and/or employment history in one way or another.
Lying about education is a career killer once you make your way into upper management or pursue any political office, etc. Lying about your work experience will make it hard to get through the interview process if the hiring company has decent screeners.
I don't think it's a big deal to not have certain skills which anyone can learn quickly and in that one case I think it's ok to embellish just to get your resume on the HR/recruiter stack so the real hiring manager can talk to you. I also think we can all admit some bosses are a-holes and it's not fair to hold someone's bad experiences (including being fired) against them.
It's best to just be honest about your background. Everyone has to start from zero experience. It doesn't make them incapable of growing into outstanding employees. I'd rather hire a sharp young kid with limited experience who is hungry to learn and show their abilities than a person with decades of experience who is just interested in a paycheck.
Based on your response, I have to ask, what specifically do you know people have lied about? I can't imagine putting a degree you never earned on a resume. It's just asking for trouble down the line.

Lying about education is a career killer once you make your way into upper management or pursue any political office, etc. Lying about your work experience will make it hard to get through the interview process if the hiring company has decent screeners.
I don't think it's a big deal to not have certain skills which anyone can learn quickly and in that one case I think it's ok to embellish just to get your resume on the HR/recruiter stack so the real hiring manager can talk to you. I also think we can all admit some bosses are a-holes and it's not fair to hold someone's bad experiences (including being fired) against them.
It's best to just be honest about your background. Everyone has to start from zero experience. It doesn't make them incapable of growing into outstanding employees. I'd rather hire a sharp young kid with limited experience who is hungry to learn and show their abilities than a person with decades of experience who is just interested in a paycheck.
Based on your response, I have to ask, what specifically do you know people have lied about? I can't imagine putting a degree you never earned on a resume. It's just asking for trouble down the line.
Oh, it is soooo unfair that you can't be honest about having an a-hole boss, it happens, a lot!

What do I know about in terms of specifics?

Lying about a degree or where they went to school
Lying about how much they made at their last job
Lying about job title/duties
Lying about who their direct manager was/is
Lying about how much they were responsible for in sales (sold 52,000, which magically gets rounded way up to 75,000)
Lying about how long they were at a job

In my field, lying about education doesn't really work, we have to submit our transcripts and have a teaching certificate.

But for myself, I have personally lied about things I taught, coached, committees I was on, shit like that.

Not to derail the thread but that's totally wrong. How overwhelming must the evidence be for a jury to rule against a recently killed war hero? I side with the jury.
Well, correct me if I'm wrong. Wasn't this case tried in Minnesota? Where had Ventura been governor again? What state has some of the most liberal jury decisions come from? What do incredibly liberal Minnesotan's, especially from ultra liberal Minneapolis, think about a sniper that claims to have killed 150 Muslims. What are the chances that a popular figure in Minnesota gets a favorable verdict against a war hero from Texas?

I'm sure the evidence was overwhelming, especially since Kyle was deceased and couldn't defend himself, but my faith in American jurisprudence is at an all time low these days. Like you, I will side with the jury, however my level of belief that they reached the correct verdict is nowhere near 100%.

Don’t waste any more time or brain cells on this (& others) bozos. He‘s f* cking nuts & a liar, yep, he’s got the bases covered.

Dont bust him yet, let him spin more stories, You might put together a best seller…fiction of course.
Folks That served don’t openly gab about their duty..

His day will come and it won’t be fun and games.

USA # 1

Oh, it is soooo unfair that you can't be honest about having an a-hole boss, it happens, a lot!

What do I know about in terms of specifics?

Lying about a degree or where they went to school
Lying about how much they made at their last job
Lying about job title/duties
Lying about who their direct manager was/is
Lying about how much they were responsible for in sales (sold 52,000, which magically gets rounded way up to 75,000)
Lying about how long they were at a job

In my field, lying about education doesn't really work, we have to submit our transcripts and have a teaching certificate.

But for myself, I have personally lied about things I taught, coached, committees I was on, shit like that.
Lying about a degree or where they went to school: This one I don't condone. HR should vet the employee's degree with is easy to do.
Lying about how much they made at their last job: No big deal. Not really even relevant to anyone but the employee. Nobody guarantees you the same or more in the next job. Nobody is getting hurt here.
Lying about job title/duties: Claiming to be a manager can be shitty to others who really were managers or are trying to move into management. Lying about specific tasks done in a position isn's a big deal except you might get outed by incompetence.
Lying about who their direct manager was/is: This happens a lot because of the shitty manager problem. A lot of companies no longer do reference checks because of that. This isn't a big deal to me.
Lying about how much they were responsible for in sales: Not a big deal. Most hiring managers wouldn't care and know it's difficult translate numbers from one job to another.
Lying about how long they were at a job: This is usually because of gaps in employment which I don't think are anyone's business. No big deal unless it's significant. If you were there 3 years instead of 4 vs 2 weeks instead of 5 years.

The a-hole boss issue is something most of us have dealt with but society has only slowly come around to understanding. I've been in companies where I was hired and worked a long time under one manager only to have the company be bought or new upper management come in and suddenly I'm under someone that was brought in from elsewhere who just wants to push the current staff out to bring in their buddies. It's BS to hold that against people.
I do a lot of interviews and a question I have told other interviewers not to ask is "Why are you leaving your current job?" It's a loaded question meant to look for dirt. So what if someone is miserable at their current job and is desperate to get out?
Instead I told them to ask "Why are you interested in this job?" and "What separates you from others who might be interested in this job?" Much better questions that aren't about humiliating interviewees and are focused on the open position.

Lying about a degree or where they went to school: This one I don't condone. HR should vet the employee's degree with is easy to do.
Lying about how much they made at their last job: No big deal. Not really even relevant to anyone but the employee. Nobody guarantees you the same or more in the next job. Nobody is getting hurt here.
Lying about job title/duties: Claiming to be a manager can be shitty to others who really were managers or are trying to move into management. Lying about specific tasks done in a position isn's a big deal except you might get outed by incompetence.
Lying about who their direct manager was/is: This happens a lot because of the shitty manager problem. A lot of companies no longer do reference checks because of that. This isn't a big deal to me.
Lying about how much they were responsible for in sales: Not a big deal. Most hiring managers wouldn't care and know it's difficult translate numbers from one job to another.
Lying about how long they were at a job: This is usually because of gaps in employment which I don't think are anyone's business. No big deal unless it's significant. If you were there 3 years instead of 4 vs 2 weeks instead of 5 years.

The a-hole boss issue is something most of us have dealt with but society has only slowly come around to understanding. I've been in companies where I was hired and worked a long time under one manager only to have the company be bought or new upper management come in and suddenly I'm under someone that was brought in from elsewhere who just wants to push the current staff out to bring in their buddies. It's BS to hold that against people.
I do a lot of interviews and a question I have told other interviewers not to ask is "Why are you leaving your current job?" It's a loaded question meant to look for dirt. So what if someone is miserable at their current job and is desperate to get out?
Instead I told them to ask "Why are you interested in this job?" and "What separates you from others who might be interested in this job?" Much better questions that aren't about humiliating interviewees and are focused on the open position.
Totally agree on the bad boss thing.

You should be able to answer "Look, I am leaving because my boss sucks" without that being held against you.

I'll fire an employee for lying before I'll fire them for being incompetent. The incompetence may be fixed whereas the lying is a character flaw. Whatever management accepts/sanctions is the culture you end up with. If you sanction lying, the rest of the employees know, you get more of it. Same with sanctioning incompetence. I will give them one strike for lying as nobody is perfect but if it happens again after they've been told, that demonstrates their desire to work somewhere else.

I'll fire an employee for lying before I'll fire them for being incompetent. The incompetence may be fixed whereas the lying is a character flaw. Whatever management accepts/sanctions is the culture you end up with. If you sanction lying, the rest of the employees know, you get more of it. Same with sanctioning incompetence. I will give them one strike for lying as nobody is perfect but if it happens again after they've been told, that demonstrates their desire to work somewhere else.
You better go fire all your workers than...because they all lied more than once.

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan

Everything I have read about Kyle leads me to believe he was a huge liar.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT