ADVERTISEMENT

OT Retirement

I hear you and understand the security and simplicity of it, but banks love folks like you.... give us your money, we will hold it and give you a little something, then we will loan it to someone else for a higher interest rate and make a bunch of money from your money as a pass through.

Don't get me wrong, there is a portion of your portfolio that you might want immediately liquid, but with high interest money market accounts acting as savings accounts and getting 10x what your standard savings acccount gets, you re leaving money on the table.

A wise man once advised me, '... I worked really hard for my money and I want it to work just as hard for me...'

I was slow to catch on, but there is a point where your portfolio tips and you wake up each day/week/month and say, '....wow, my money made me a lot of money...'
100% spot on.

Trust me, I was not posted it to make it sound like it was smart! Ha

I wish I would have just bought a duplex for my first home and had that sucker paid off and both sides rented out.

Yeah, but could you imagine a world where farmers and ranchers DID NOT have stuff to complain about?!?!?! What would they talk about all day???

I kid, I kid.
Farmers I agree, especially today’s generation. Ranchers, ha, never a dull day with 1200 pound leather blankets.

Reactions: countrybob
..."now that I've gotten all of my opinions in...."

lite, I'm FAR from out of opinions on the topic.

A large part of the problem is people have a simplistic attitude of, YES, we've always had elections, so there will always be elections, blah, blah, blah. In many cases, they don't know enough about things that may occur for them to even have an opinion. It doesn't take any balls to just march along with the crowd.

With the millions of illegals, of all nationalities, and MOSTLY military aged men, that have freely walked across the southern border the last 3+ years, now that's a perfect combination to add to BLM, Antifa if things get stirred up. All it takes is the side of one of the parties that looks like it could lose, to manufacture a response from those radical dumbasses.

This country is nothing but a shadow of the country we all grew up in. And it gets worse, every effen day.
[/QUOTE]
Most estimates are that over 3 million illegal aliens have crossed over our southern border. Some people on the terrorism watch list were caught and released. Estimates have been made that we’re only catching half and them 99% of the ones we do catch are released on their own recognizance. We could in theory have tens of thousands of foreign soldiers on our soil.

I know smart people that say it's 50/50 the Huskers win the natty this fall. Don't ask to wager on this though, it wouldn't be fair. We definitely shouldn't discuss it until after the season, when you guys can tell me I was wrong. I refuse to list all the reasons, and trust me, these people know more about CFB than anyone on this board.
That's a stupid ****ing analogy. No wonder I've had you on Ignore for a year and a half.

• Haha
Reactions: TampaBaySkers
Everyone always has a very romanticized memory about what it was like "when they grew up" and how it was so much better.

When I grew up we had pretty much 3 stations, then cable came out. No internet, Computers were a joke, no cell phones. Banks were closed on the weekends, I can still remember my mom rushing to the bank on Friday so that we would have cash for the weekend.

Learning about other cultures, hell, learning about other states meant a trip to the library or a family vacation. Learning about colleges? Get the old big Barron's College Book.

Watching games on TV? Good luck!

Who didn't love dialing 97 numbers to call a relative in another country and paying out the ass for that long distance call.

Cars are so much safer now and I know I totally miss writing out checks to pay all my bills each month.

Remember flipping through the Sears catalog and ordering something through the mail. Yeah, that was super convenient

I am sure all the SPED students loved not getting help in school as they were just listed as "bad kids" and "dumb kids"

Lord knows I have the connivence of having 24/7 Emergi-cares...and I totally hate knowing exactly how far I am from the green when I go golfing.

I bet females HATE all the career choices they have now, must suck for them.

I get it, everyone thinks their music is better, their movies are better, their cars were better, all of it.

lite, I'm FAR from out of opinions on the topic.

A large part of the problem is people have a simplistic attitude of, YES, we've always had elections, so there will always be elections, blah, blah, blah. In many cases, they don't know enough about things that may occur for them to even have an opinion. It doesn't take any balls to just march along with the crowd.

With the millions of illegals, of all nationalities, and MOSTLY military aged men, that have freely walked across the southern border the last 3+ years, now that's a perfect combination to add to BLM, Antifa if things get stirred up. All it takes is the side of one of the parties that looks like it could lose, to manufacture a response from those radical dumbasses.

This country is nothing but a shadow of the country we all grew up in. And it gets worse, every effen day.
Most estimates are that over 3 million illegal aliens have crossed over our southern border. Some people on the terrorism watch list were caught and released. Estimates have been made that we’re only catching half and them 99% of the ones we do catch are released on their own recognizance. We could in theory have tens of thousands of foreign soldiers on our soil.
[/QUOTE]

TBH, the number "tens of thousands", is WAY to low. Not to mention they have been, and are, being strategically located throughout this country. Caches of weapons. Not just some stupid pile of bricks on a pallet sprinkled around the country. Real weaponry.

Since I'm not talking p*litics, this is simply an opinion.
Like the opinion of the Sp*aker of the House who says, "War is good for jobs."

Wait, why would "soldiers" from other countries, most likely countries that suck, sneak over here, what is their plan? To take over America?

Literally a horrible plan. There are only 2 outcomes.

1. They come here and love it and just stay, enjoying life
2. They all get killed trying to take over America from the inside. They would need millions of well organized soldiers with weapons and artillery.

I mean, if your new neighbor from a country that you can't pronounce has a tank in their garage, it might be a bit of a tipoff.

Reactions: Huskers123456
Everyone always has a very romanticized memory about what it was like "when they grew up" and how it was so much better.

When I grew up we had pretty much 3 stations, then cable came out. No internet, Computers were a joke, no cell phones. Banks were closed on the weekends, I can still remember my mom rushing to the bank on Friday so that we would have cash for the weekend.

Learning about other cultures, hell, learning about other states meant a trip to the library or a family vacation. Learning about colleges? Get the old big Barron's College Book.

Who didn't love dialing 97 numbers to call a relative in another country and paying out the ass for that long distance call.

Cars are so much safer now and I know I totally miss writing out checks to pay all my bills each month.

Remember flipping through the Sears catalog and ordering something through the mail. Yeah, that was super convenient

I am sure all the SPED students loved not getting help in school as they were just listed as "bad kids" and "dumb kids"

Lord knows I have the connivence of having 24/7 Emergi-cares...and I totally hate knowing exactly how far I am from the green when I go golfing.

I get it, everyone thinks their music is better, their movies are better, their cars were better, all of it.
Thank you for that walk down Memory Lane, things must have been great growing up in Kansas.
We don't live in Kansas anymore.

• Haha
Reactions: BTF69

Those days sound awesome!

Thank you for that walk down Memory Lane, things must have been great growing up in Kansas.
We don't live in Kansas anymore.
You don't live scared do you? I hope not.

I am guessing you are just prepared but I hope you are not living in fear. You don't seem like you would be.

Wait, why would "soldiers" from other countries, most likely countries that suck, sneak over here, what is their plan? To take over America?

Literally a horrible plan. There are only 2 outcomes.

1. They come here and love it and just stay, enjoying life
2. They all get killed trying to take over America from the inside. They would need millions of well organized soldiers with weapons and artillery.

I mean, if your new neighbor from a country that you can't pronounce has a tank in their garage, it might be a bit of a tipoff.
Replying to this is a waste of time.

Reactions: Mr.Scary13
Tampa … do you feel you have the advice and recommendations to go forward in retirement? Godspeed and good luck!

• Haha
Reactions: 90sman
You don't live scared do you? I hope not.

I am guessing you are just prepared but I hope you are not living in fear. You don't seem like you would be.
BTF, if you KNEW me, you would know I'm not afraid of anything. I never have been.
People that walk around and think everything is status quo are gonna be in for the experience of their lives before long.

You seem to be a fun loving, free spirit type of guy who is just enjoying life with teaching, friends, golf, an occassional slut, and lots of beer. Many people, not myself, would enjoy the hell out of your situation.

My life involves more than just me.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
BTF, if you KNEW me, you would know I'm not afraid of anything. I never have been.
People that walk around and think everything is status quo are gonna be in for the experience of their lives before long.

You seem to be a fun loving, free spirit type of guy who is just enjoying life with teaching, friends, golf, an occassional slut, and lots of beer. Many people, not myself, would enjoy the hell out of your situation.

My life involves more than just me.
Hey!

They are not ALL sluts!

Okay, yes they are :)

It is true!

I am JUST good looking enough and JUST charming enough to trick a girl for about a month...then they realize I am a perv and I realize that they are boring.
Self-awareness is 50% of the solution.

I used to kiss the models in the Sears catalog :).

#Perv
I remember as a 7-8 year old boy looking at all those nice models when I was sitting in the outhouse.
Too young to really enjoy the viewing experience, or I'd have spent a lot more time in there.

Last edited:
  • Haha

I agree with all except the last paragraph and have told people similar lists. For instance, you forgot to mention the swimming pool being closed all summer because people were deathly afraid their kids would get Polio. And if they did, the kid's life was torture for many months.

But the 60s/70s music was better, with some works like Tommy comparable to classic operas. Movies relied on good plots and acting as opposed to blue screens and blowing stuff up. And if you have never driven a 1969 Chevelle 396 4-speed or a 1966 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible, well, I guess we will have to agree to disagree on the cars.

I agree with all except the last paragraph and have told people similar lists. For instance, you forgot to mention the swimming pool being closed all summer because people were deathly afraid their kids would get Polio. And if they did, the kid's life was torture for many months.

But the 60s/70s music was better, with some works like Tommy comparable to classic operas. Movies relied on good plots and acting as opposed to blue screens and blowing stuff up. And if you have never driven a 1969 Chevelle 396 4-speed or a 1966 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible, well, I guess we will have to agree to disagree on the cars.
I love old cars BUT safety, performance and options and reliability, I don’t know that it’s even close in terms having better cars nowadays.

Like I said, I love old cars, love seeing them, enjoy driving them (old Camaros and Vettes and love Jay Leno’s garage reviews where he brings out the old stuff) but it’s honestly not close.

Take any car that was awesome back in the day and compare it to a similar model today. It’s like reminiscing on old video games and then jumping from a PS5 back to NES. Fun for them reminiscing but no where near the same caliber.

• Love
Is this still a retirement thread? Asking for a friend. ;)
We’ve covered 403b’s, government meltdown and democracy elimination, 401k’s, classic cars, percentage of income going to retirement, Buffett and his satanic cults, IRA’s, the good ol’ days, Roth vs traditional and the capstone … jerking off to old Sears catalogs. I think all the bases have been covered for all approaches to retirement. Go forth and enjoy your golden years!

I totally get your point and you are right. I sort of count the start of "good times" being the late 1950's.

I had a friend who bought and restored an old 442, it was unreal, the engine was the size of a house! Ha

Reactions: countrybob
We’ve covered 403b’s, government meltdown and democracy elimination, 401k’s, classic cars, percentage of income going to retirement, Buffett and his satanic cults, IRA’s, the good ol’ days, Roth vs traditional and the capstone … jerking off to old Sears catalogs. I think all the bases have been covered for all approaches to retirement. Go forth and enjoy your golden years!
I DID NOT JERK OFF

I made love to the Sears catalog. It was special, it meant something.

I love old cars BUT safety, performance and options and reliability, I don’t know that it’s even close in terms having better cars nowadays.

Like I said, I love old cars, love seeing them, enjoy driving them (old Camaros and Vettes and love Jay Leno’s garage reviews where he brings out the old stuff) but it’s honestly not close.

Take any car that was awesome back in the day and compare it to a similar model today. It’s like reminiscing on old video games and then jumping from a PS5 back to NES. Fun for them reminiscing but no where near the same caliber.
Yeah, there is this bar near me that has the old retro arcade games. And for about 15-20 minutes, it is a blast to play a few of them.

There is the term that some Pop-Culture authors/teachers coined, "fauxstalgia", it really implies that you LONG for a time/decade that you never even lived through but I think it also pertains to the "good old days" memories.

I mean, for most of my young life my moms hands were my "seatbelt", fun memories and everything but not all that smart.

Reactions: saluno22

Depends what you mean by "caliber". I get what you are saying, but something that can't be measured by number of features, safety, horsepower, acceleration is "soul". Another measure is "workability". I changed out the water pump a couple years ago in my 1970 Oldsmobile in about 30 minutes. I changed a water pump in a Caravan 6 months ago and it took all day. I had to drop the motor using the lowest jack I have, then remove and install one of the bolts using a special thin socket driver, forceps and a mirror.

Depends what you mean by "caliber". I get what you are saying, but something that can't be measured by number of features, safety, horsepower, acceleration is "soul". Another measure is "workability". I changed out the water pump a couple years ago in my 1970 Oldsmobile in about 30 minutes. I changed a water pump in a Caravan 6 months ago and it took all day. I had to drop the motor using the lowest jack I have, then remove and install one of the bolts using a special thin socket driver, forceps and a mirror.
I know NOTHING about cars but why is that? Is there more "stuff" under the hood today?

8nj9yo.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT