ADVERTISEMENT

OT-Packers locking up J. Love

So they should have backed up the Brinks truck for a guy who looked like a bust at that point. Brilliant.
No they should’ve used the option while negotiating in good faith if they actually believed in him

Instead, we have a holdout and love saying thanks for the check, now give me $250M more or I’m not playing.

No they should’ve used the option while negotiating in good faith if they actually believed in him

Instead, we have a holdout and love saying thanks for the check, now give me $250M more or I’m not playing.

Sooooo extending a guy who looked like a bust and in doing so gave him more money that the contract he signed and agreed to prior..... wasn't showing they believed in him? I think you're just arguing to argue at this point. You have the advantage of knowing he came around and looked fantastic, eventually...IE- hindsight. That's not a realistic way to write contracts.

Reactions: Huskers123456
Obviously they spent much, much less than they needed to.

Otherwise Love would be practicing and getting ready for the season.
No…they *obviously* paid him *at least* what they needed to in May of 2023 with a one-year contract. The proof is that he went on after that to play every game and practice every practice he was healthy for last season. He beat expectations, like their past 3 QBs all have, now understandably wants more money and those negotiations are currently between those two parties. We will see what happens. I’m betting they come to an agreement. This happens increasingly every year with many players.

Sooooo extending a guy who looked like a bust
you keep saying this, but I suspect it’s hindsight.

Nobody saw him play except GB.

If they thought they had their next generational QB they’d have negotiated in good faith instead of skimping.

Now, their hand is forced into paying the extreme premium.

Classic

No…they *obviously* paid him *at least* what they needed to in May of 2023 with a one-year contract. The proof is that he went on after that to play every game and practice every practice he was healthy for last season. He beat expectations, like their past 3 QBs all have, now understandably wants more money and those negotiations are currently between those two parties. We will see what happens. I’m betting they come to an agreement. This happens increasingly every year with many players.
*past 2 QBs

It’s no longer a negotiation, it’s a shakedown

I agree GB will bend the knee. They have no other choice. *obviously*

you keep saying this, but I suspect it’s hindsight.

Nobody saw him play except GB.

If they thought they had their next generational QB they’d have negotiated in good faith instead of skimping.

Now, their hand is forced into paying the extreme premium.

Classic

Not hindsight. I remember it well....and they irony is how could they have known if they had their QB? He never played. Well except for the one game in Kansas City. Where he looked like dog shit.

*past 2 QBs

It’s no longer a negotiation, it’s a shakedown

I agree GB will bend the knee. They have no other choice. *obviously*
If "bending the knee" to the Pack's next star QB means to keep winning division titles, playoff games and Super Bowls then I guess we will "bend the knee". Maybe if the Bears could find a star QB and "bend the knee" your team would have more than 5 playoff wins in 35 years.

If "bending the knee" to the Pack's next star QB means to keep winning division titles, playoff games and Super Bowls then I guess we will "bend the knee". Maybe if the Bears could find a star QB and "bend the knee" your team would have more than 5 playoff wins in 35 years.

How many division titles has love won?

That’s right - same amount as Caleb Williams

• Haha
Reactions: HBK4life
Boy, I can't wait for the season to start. Maybe the Bears will be good enough to pick in the top 5 to 10 picks again in next year's draft. That's all you Bears fans have to hang your hat on. It would be funny if it wasn't so sad. :rolleyes:
Love will be making William’s entire 4 year guarantee about once every four weeks moving forward

Will be so funny if he sucks

You just compared Love to Mahomes and yer asking if i'm being serious. Allllrighty then.
I’m comparing their situations (similar), not them as players. (Duh)

GB had more time to know if Love was their guy. Obviously they weren’t convinced.

And they’re now paying for it

It’s all very amusing

It’s also worth noting Desean Watson signed the richest guaranteed deal in NFL history after sitting out an entire season

Love has the same agent

Love better learn to start stepping into his throws and stop throwing all those lollipops off his back foot. There's plenty of tape on him now, we'll see how he does this year. I'm not sold on the guy yet

Your point was not a bad one

I expect a lucrative extension by year 3 if Williams earns it

And I expect zero disruption/distraction as far as the team is concerned

Didn't Caleb ask for a guarantee not to be tagged as a franchise player in his contract? That could be interesting.

Didn't Caleb ask for a guarantee not to be tagged as a franchise player in his contract? That could be interesting.
He’s far from the first to request that clause

And the bears should never get to a point where the tag is in play with him anyway

He’s far from the first to request that clause

And the bears should never get to a point where the tag is in play with him anyway

I had not heard of it from a rookie but that doesnt mean its never happened...I said it could be intereating because if it starts a trend from rookies, then early renegotiations would become the norm for guys like Stroud, etc. Or anyone who has early success....and if said rookie decides he wants to play elsewhere....it has the potential to be fascinating to watch unfold.

OK..so I just educated myself...Caleb asked for it, Bears said no. No rookie has ever gotten that request before. I honestly thought he got it....which would have been fascinating to watch unfold.

Reactions: king_kong_
I had not heard of it from a rookie but that doesnt mean its never happened...I said it could be intereating because if it starts a trend from rookies, then early renegotiations would become the norm for guys like Stroud, etc. Or anyone who has early success....and if said rookie decides he wants to play elsewhere....it has the potential to be fascinating to watch unfold.
Franchise tag should be done away with or completely overhauled

Players are finally understanding the implications of it

Pretty sure Dak has that clause in his contract

I’m comparing their situations (similar), not them as players. (Duh)

GB had more time to know if Love was their guy. Obviously they weren’t convinced.

And they’re now paying for it

It’s all very amusing
“them as players” is the biggest part of “their situations”.

Even if the same team knew what they had in a different 3-time champ QB, it has zero to do with Jordan Love. That’s not even an anecdote. It’s not a valid argument. It’s not anything.

“them as players” is the biggest part of “their situations”.

Even if the same team knew what they had in a different 3-time champ QB, it has zero to do with Jordan Love. That’s not even an anecdote. It’s not a valid argument. It’s not anything.
Both were drafted to sit behind multi year starters

Both had at least a year to evaluate their players

He asked how could they possibly know what they had, I answered - they saw him every day for multiple years

There’s nothing to attempt to argue. Sorry.

Unless you want to discuss whose karma in the GB front office caused this disruptive holdout and subsequent shakedown when the sentiment up to now was pointing to a very team friendly deal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT