ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Memes with figures from American History

Tulsa Tom

Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
Aug 28, 2003
I just saw a meme from Sarah Palin critiquing Obama's "perversion of the Constitution" through the use of an Executive Order and contrasting him with Lincoln. Ummmmm...the Emancipation Proclamation was an executive order to free the slaves. Also, Lincoln took a pen and suspended habeas corpus. These things are taught in Jr. High and High School.

I also saw a meme using Ronald Reagan as an ardent defender of all things 2nd Amendment in comparison to Obama who wants to destroy the 2nd Amendment. Ummmmm...he was the one who saw to it that the Brady bill would be introduced and later ardently defended it when it was passed as law under Clinton. He was a huge supporter of a ban on assault weapons saying in a letter to Congress, “We can dry up the supply of these guns, making them less accessible to criminals."

Just because one may have a hero, do not think that hero has always agreed with you. And just because you dislike a political figure, do not think that your hero would always stand in opposition to that figure. Let's not pervert the actions and thoughts of these former great leaders in order to make them in our own image.

This is my irritation for the day...carry on.

Last edited:
Tom, they are not taught in as many as you think or with the detail that is needed.

History isn't part of the testing requirements and gets pushed off the importance list. I taught and subbed for years and saw the quality of detail in too many places be far from acceptable to prepare critical thinkers in those classes.

Many Americans seem to know that America's founders gave us three boxes through which we can resist tyranny, namely - the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box. But a lesser-known tool which the founders themselves employed is the lesser-magistrate doctrine.

Simply put, the lesser-magistrate doctrine declares that - when a magistrate, who is lower in authority than another higher authority, opposes and/or resists the unjust orders or laws of the higher authority, he is justified in doing so and his actions are morally right, proper, and legitimate.

http://www.mercyseat.net/lmdoc.html

Cool

Dont-Believe-Everything-You-Read-on-Internet.jpg

Abraham Lincoln once became great friends with a man after he was challenged to a fight by him. Lincoln was a wiry 185 and defeated him with a modern choke slam. The crowd in attendance was not pleased, and Lincoln nearly started kicking all their tails too, until his opponent stepped in and calmed the crowd. Lincoln was an American badass long before people ever even heard of Chuck Norris.
fight.jpg

The Emancipation Proclamation of 1863 was more of a Civil War strategy of Lincoln's and the only slaves who were freed were the ones that were in states in the rebellion (Civil War/southern states) and slaves under Union controlled states were not freed.
The 13th Amendment in 1865 abolished slavery. Some things we were taught in school are not entirely accurate.

http://www.civilwar.org/education/history/emancipation-150/10-facts.html

Last edited:
Reactions: huskerfan1414
The Emancipation Proclamation of 1863 was more of a Civil War strategy of Lincoln's and the only slaves who were freed were the ones that were in states in the rebellion (Civil War/southern states) and slaves under Union controlled states were not freed.
The 13th Amendment in 1865 abolished slavery. Some things we were taught in school are not entirely accurate.

http://www.civilwar.org/education/history/emancipation-150/10-facts.html
True...although Lincoln had made his preference of abolition known this particular order was just for the South. However, that accounted for nearly 90% of all American slaves at that time.

Reactions: summersatthelake
I saw a similar meme on FB........many of the ones people throw on FB are not accurate and it irritates me also.

Abraham Lincoln once became great friends with a man after he was challenged to a fight by him. Lincoln was a wiry 185 and defeated him with a modern choke slam. The crowd in attendance was not pleased, and Lincoln nearly started kicking all their tails too, until his opponent stepped in and calmed the crowd. Lincoln was an American badass long before people ever even heard of Chuck Norris.
fight.jpg

Not to mention he hunted vampires

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT