ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Masters Tourney

I am not trying to diminish Tiger . Even though he is not my favorite golfer he is one of the best to ever play.i was disagreeing with OP that he would have won 25 majors. Nobody will ever do that , Golf is a physically demanding sport and hard on the body.. As Tiger got older and began to have some issues like every golfer does the fear that some had earlier in his career was no longer there.
It also coincided with him getting older, you know when all declines happen.
Does anyone remember the “steroids?” Holy crap?? I mean, that can’t possibly be good for your body when you stop using them, and get older..🙄

Did the try to real stuff? I remember growing up and my Mom (in Omaha) would buy pimento cheese in some fancy glass jar and it was AWFUL.

Homemade pimento cheese and/or the stuff sold in stores like Piggly Wiggly, Publix (i.e stores in the south or se) are totally different. It also is a big cultural thing - I can't remember how many pimento cheese sandwiches (white bread, crusts cut, sliced diagonally) I made for church functions (esp funerals) when we lived in Aiken. And of course it's legendary at the Masters.
When I was a poor doctoral student I ate lots of pimento cheese sandwiches at one of the Mizzou cafeterias. It was cheaper than trying to pack a lunch. IF I remember right it cost 90 cents. The other go to cheap lunch was a Braunschweiger samich. Also cheap. Yummie. It's hard to imagine that they actually sold those things but apparently I wasn't the only poor college student.

The other go to cheap lunch was a Braunschweiger samich. Also cheap. Yummie. It's hard to imagine that they actually sold those things but apparently I wasn't the only poor college student.
I was at a farmer's market last year where a guy was selling small tins of "pork liver pâté" for about 8 bucks each. He handed me a sample on a cracker and asked me what I thought. I said, "It's great, I like a good Braunschweiger," and walked away.

The "French" version is available on Amazon for about $18 per pound. Sucker born every minute, I suppose.

Not imploding. People changed the channel when the chasers fell away and Scheffler took a commanding lead in the last 4 holes. Once Scheffler navigated 13 it was all but over. I loved it and for maybe the first time in 20 years watched the whole final round. You had 4 exciting young players tied at -6 with 10 holes to go. Yeah Scheffler was cruising but one ball in the water could have caused him to implode and he was never completely out of reach. DeChambeau pissing it down his leg probably causing lots of people to change the channel more so than anything to do with the PGA.

The dudes that left for the LIV left for Big money. Nothing more.
Actually not really. Money definitely helped the formation, but Phil and others tried to work with Jay before it even came to that on capitalizing on themselves individually. The creation of LIV came about because the PGA still tries to operate like its 1960. The NCAA tries to operate the same way.

Actually not really. Money definitely helped the formation, but Phil and others tried to work with Jay before it even came to that on capitalizing on themselves individually. The creation of LIV came about because the PGA still tries to operate like its 1960. The NCAA tries to operate the same way.
They left for the money, end of story, although they also like to only have to play 54 holes against limited competition. But not one of them left to "grow the game". They left for the cash, all of them. I can't say how happy I am that Greg Norman crapped the bed in the Masters back in the day and that he had to buy a ticket to watch the Masters in person. That shit is funny.

They left for the money, end of story, although they also like to only have to play 54 holes against limited competition. But not one of them left to "grow the game". They left for the cash, all of them. I can't say how happy I am that Greg Norman crapped the bed in the Masters back in the day and that he had to buy a ticket to watch the Masters in person. That shit is funny.
You missed the point. For probably 5 years or longer there has been a decent number of people who were trying to get the PGA Tour to innovate and not just with the format and rules, but also how players were able to market themselves as well as larger dollar tourneys. This was long before LIV was developed. Yes, all of these guys left for money 100%, but the failure happened because the PGA Tour leadership has no idea how to grow the game.

Guess what, are the guys left for LIV, what happened? A lot of the stuff they were pursuing, Jay then changed because they were going to lose more guys and now they are back to the table with LIV guys because the PGA Tour leadership knows they ****ed up, they just won't own any of it and are trying to save face behind the scenes. It's pretty apparent as you see more PGA Tour guys speak out on the lack of leadership there and also the structure.

Hopefully when they get things restructured, the leadership team is new and actually tries to drive golf forward and not continue to get stuck in the stone ages. Sorry Greg Norman hurt your feelings.

i have no problem with guys getting rich at the top of pyramid. what bothers me is that saudi arabia is buying talent from the pga tour causing all kinds of internal chaos the pga can't seem to manage.

guys like rohm and koepka leaving hurts interest. although i do enjoy scotty, homa, morikawa, and others' play, they don't cover for mcilroy, speith and thomas playing poorly presently, when coupled with the absence of others. and i certainly don't enjoy watching tiger fail. that's just brutal.

this gets reflected in poor tv ratings for the masters. and i can't imagine the other majors being any better, down ~20% or more. nobody watches liv. that's just a saudi hubris buy.

They made millions off endorsements . Golf is supposed to be a sport that you earn if you shoot 75_-75 you make no money that weekend.the PGA should not have to help with that.

They made millions off endorsements . Golf is supposed to be a sport that you earn if you shoot 75_-75 you make no money that weekend.the PGA should not have to help with that.

I agree on earn if you shoot, but they are essentially independent contractors, but yet have no rights to their media. That doesn't seem to make sense.

The biggest issue from Phil: "Players don’t have access to their own media. If the tour wanted to end any threat [from rival leagues], they could just hand back the media rights to the players. But they would rather throw $25 million here and $40 million there than give back the roughly $20 billion in digital assets they control. Or give up access to the $50-plus million they make every year on their own media channel.

LIV doesn't exist if some of these things were addressed back in the day.

the problem is that the pga cannot get its arms around this and it's hurting the game a lot. i'm not sure with saudi money if there was an internal solution. i'm not that close to it. but i am somewhat surprised it hasn't raised eyebrows in congress.

the problem is that the pga cannot get its arms around this and it's hurting the game a lot. i'm not sure with saudi money if there was an internal solution. i'm not that close to it. but i am somewhat surprised it hasn't raised eyebrows in congress.
Congress has zero business in this .

Reactions: leodisflowers
Also, you think Saudi money is not in the PGA Tour indirectly? Probably most of those corporations that sponsor the events are all trying to get a piece of the Middle Eastern pie. This is what cracks me up about all of the sportswashing people. They act like the Saudis are the only people who are scumbags, but all of these major corporations are full of super scumbags as well that indirectly do a ton of harm to people and have probably had people killed as well, but the only focus is on Saudi because they are crawling with cash and killed a journalist.

Most the PGA Tour sponsors are corrupt as shit with a ton of bad people pulling the strings.

Also, you think Saudi money is not in the PGA Tour indirectly? Probably most of those corporations that sponsor the events are all trying to get a piece of the Middle Eastern pie. This is what cracks me up about all of the sportswashing people. They act like the Saudis are the only people who are scumbags, but all of these major corporations are full of super scumbags as well that indirectly do a ton of harm to people and have probably had people killed as well, but the only focus is on Saudi because they are crawling with cash and killed a journalist.

Most the PGA Tour sponsors are corrupt as shit with a ton of bad people pulling the strings.
you should move to china or russia try the communist model over capitalism. or maybe the saudi kingdom and see how that works your favor.

i have no problem with guys getting rich at the top of pyramid. what bothers me is that saudi arabia is buying talent from the pga tour causing all kinds of internal chaos the pga can't seem to manage.

guys like rohm and koepka leaving hurts interest. although i do enjoy scotty, homa, morikawa, and others' play, they don't cover for mcilroy, speith and thomas playing poorly presently, when coupled with the absence of others. and i certainly don't enjoy watching tiger fail. that's just brutal.

this gets reflected in poor tv ratings for the masters. and i can't imagine the other majors being any better, down ~20% or more. nobody watches liv. that's just a saudi hubris buy.
Rahm and Koepka played in the Masters. DeChambeau imploded on Sunday or the ratings might have been better. People watched BUT they tuned out when those 5 guys who shared the lead on the front 9 couldn’t match Scheffler. He’s a great champion and good dude. LIV has nothing to do with the ratings other than that their members all sucked. DJ didn’t even make the cut. Tiger shooting his worst round ever didn’t help either

rahm and koepka don't play on the pga tour. that was my point. you can rationalize why masters' tv ratings were down 20%. but that won't change the number. we'll see how the other majors do this summer. my guess is we will see similar numbers as olds in particular grow weary of the infighting, greed, and diminishing star power. glad to see mcilroy is staying on the pga tour.

rahm and koepka don't play on the pga tour. that was my point. you can rationalize why masters' tv ratings were down 20%. but that won't change the number. we'll see how the other majors do this summer. my guess is we will see similar numbers as olds in particular grow weary of the infighting, greed, and diminishing star power. glad to see mcilroy is staying on the pga tour.
Your point was that the ratings were down for the Masters. All of the hot shots from LIV played in the Masters. LIV had zero to do with the lower ratings. It was all about Tiger playing like crap and people tuning out when Scheffler took control. The weather the first 2 days made for slow play and an almost unwatchable event. The other very noticeable thing for me were the sight lines. The weather they’ve had screwed up the blooming shrubbery that normally makes the Masters such a beautiful setting

you should move to china or russia try the communist model over capitalism. or maybe the saudi kingdom and see how that works your favor.
You literally have no idea what you are talking about, and actually I was about to move to Saudi to work for Aramco because of their amazing salary and benefit structure. Sit this one out because you have no idea what you are talking about Power Towel.

You literally have no idea what you are talking about, and actually I was about to move to Saudi to work for Aramco because of their amazing salary and benefit structure. Sit this one out because you have no idea what you are talking about Power Towel.
yeah, i only spent 25-years with chevron, the company which founded aramco in the 20s and developed the oil fields before selling off their interests in the mid-70s. but you know more about aramco, i'm sure. yes, they pay well. if a woman, don't forget your burka.

yeah, i only spent 25-years with chevron, the company which founded aramco in the 20s and developed the oil fields before selling off their interests in the mid-70s. but you know more about aramco, i'm sure. yes, they pay well. if a woman, don't forget your burka.
I could have started at twice my starting salary had I been willing to go to Egypt or Saudi Arabia. Of course my wife wouldn’t have gone with me. The LIV golfers sold out. I hope the extra money is worth the guilt for dealing with the “scary f$$$$ers”.

To me it’s similar to people who take money from organized crime but think its okay because they’re not the ones killing people.

Reactions: AVeritas
Actually we are Westerners and my wife wouldn't have to wear one. Women can also drive there now and I encourage you to visit some of the places over there as the are pretty fantastic. We are actually headed to Jiddah again for a few days before we go back to Dubai. Don't be such a pussy.

Actually we are Westerners and my wife wouldn't have to wear one. Women can also drive there now and I encourage you to visit some of the places over there as the are pretty fantastic. We are actually headed to Jiddah again for a few days before we go back to Dubai. Don't be such a pussy.
thanks for telling us about women having the right to drive. that's cool of men to allow such extravagance. you sound like you'll fit right in.

by the way, i turned down a chevron position there because it was seen at the time as a career killer. but do carry on with the big money aramco pays you these days.

thanks for telling us about women having the right to drive. that's cool of men to allow such extravagance. you sound like you'll fit right in.

by the way, i turned down a chevron position there because it was seen at the time as a career killer. but do carry on with the big money aramco pays you these days.
Your welcome. Hope Power Towel Nation is well.

Your wife may not HAVE to wear one but you know she might be at risk in some places if she doesn’t. Yeah you’re right though. Saudi Arabia is truly an enlightening modern Muslim nation. 🙄

Your wife may not HAVE to wear one but you know she might be at risk in some places if she doesn’t. Yeah you’re right though. Saudi Arabia is truly an enlightening modern Muslim nation. 🙄
Have you ever been? Some of the best places I've ever travelled and looking forward to going back in November. Those that knock it have truly never been. Welcoming people, awesome architecture and technology, fantastic food... The list goes on, but carry on, on your crusade because of a few small things.

Have you ever been? Some of the best places I've ever travelled and looking forward to going back in November. Those that knock it have truly never been. Welcoming people, awesome architecture and technology, fantastic food... The list goes on, but carry on, on your crusade because of a few small things.
do they continue to behead those convicted of being homosexual? i know, it's a small thing but still?

Never been. No desire to ever go. I vote with my bank account as much as I can and that’s just not a country I can support.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT