ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Masters Tourney

Tiger is playing exceptionally well +1 after 36 holes and is tied for 22nd..
To watch what Tiger is doing with really no competitive rounds under his belt and the tough playing conditions is remarkable. I think he could have won 25 majors if not for the physical problems he's had over the years.

To watch what Tiger is doing with really no competitive rounds under his belt and the tough playing conditions is remarkable. I think he could have won 25 majors if not for the physical problems he's had over the years.
No he couldn’t He won the 2019 masters before that his last major was 2008 , he didn’t have physical problems in that time span . The young guns coming on the tour than didn’t fear him and buckle under to him when he made his famous runs like the golfers from 97 -2008 did .

No he couldn’t He won the 2019 masters before that his last major was 2008 , he didn’t have physical problems in that time span . The young guns coming on the tour than didn’t fear him and buckle under to him when he made his famous runs like the golfers from 97 -2008 did .

Weird, 2008 is when his body started to fall apart, but I’m sure you are right that it must have been the young guns not being afraid of him.🙄

Tiger’s Injury Timeline

Last edited:
Reactions: oldjar07
Ironically the thing that he could be practicing with his bum leg is his short game. And his short game is nowhere near what it used to be. That won him a LOT of tournaments in his prime. He was so damned good with his short irons and putter. Not so much now. I’m doubting that he puts the practice time he would need to win now.

The other thing worth mentioning is that Tiger’s injuries and decline also coincides with the time frame of the PGA instituting PED testing.

Ironically the thing that he could be practicing with his bum leg is his short game. And his short game is nowhere near what it used to be. That won him a LOT of tournaments in his prime. He was so damned good with his short irons and putter. Not so much now. I’m doubting that he puts the practice time he would need to win now.

The other thing worth mentioning is that Tiger’s injuries and decline also coincides with the time frame of the PGA instituting PED testing.
It also coincided with him getting older, you know when all declines happen.

Had a ton of back and knee injuries. Just another moron who's not happy with himself unless he can try to diminish the accomplishments of all time greats.
I am not trying to diminish Tiger . Even though he is not my favorite golfer he is one of the best to ever play.i was disagreeing with OP that he would have won 25 majors. Nobody will ever do that , Golf is a physically demanding sport and hard on the body.. As Tiger got older and began to have some issues like every golfer does the fear that some had earlier in his career was no longer there.

It also coincided with him getting older, you know when all declines happen.
It wasn’t a slow decline. He fell off a ledge. The facts are the facts. The timetable was what it was. He was out driving people by 20-30 yards until suddenly he wasn’t.

That said, the things that really made Tiger great were his iron play and putting. That was amazing and arrived at by hard work. There’s lots of guys who hit it a ton but I haven’t seen anybody consistently putt and hit short irons like he did.

DeChambeau will a big ol’ meltdown on the 15th.
Was there in person on Friday and spent a few hours in the bleachers along side the 15th green. I can never remember the 15th hole causing everyone in the field that many problems. The players had a rough time figuring out the gusty, swirling winds that day. Tiger was actually one of the few that got home in two on Friday and was pin high. The longest hitters in the game were all laying up because of the wind.

DeChambeau’s wound was self-inflicted. Had no shot at the green and apparently thought he could get there with a big sweeping hook. Ended up near the 17th fairway, then chunked one into the water.

Reactions: dinglefritz
It wasn’t a slow decline. He fell off a ledge. The facts are the facts. The timetable was what it was. He was out driving people by 20-30 yards until suddenly he wasn’t.

That said, the things that really made Tiger great were his iron play and putting. That was amazing and arrived at by hard work. There’s lots of guys who hit it a ton but I haven’t seen anybody consistently putt and hit short irons like he did.

The Golf Channel had a segment on average distance on 150-175 yards (and wedges). In his prime, Tiger averaged about 21 feet from the pin on those shots whereas the tour average was 29 feet. Putting is so much better the closer a person gets. Even an average putter would score well from that distance, and Tiger’s putting was way above average in this time frame. Add in his short game when he actually missed a GIR and you can easily see why he won so much.

Its great that ESPNs front page is still featuring the guy currently in last place rather than anyone who has a chance to win

Its great that ESPNs front page is still featuring the guy currently in last place rather than anyone who has a chance to win
That guy is the only reason a lot of people even tune in. Golf is just a bunch of boring white guys when Tiger’s not in it.

• Haha
I thought Tigers decline happened after he was publicly humiliated after cheating on his wife and getting caught and everyone finding out what a scumbag he was and something about an accident with a mailbox and a story that was told that didn't add up, or something like that.

But i'm not a golfer and don't follow the sport.

Reactions: Huskerfan2112

He fell off a cliff because his body gave out. The Butch Harmon swing started to ruin his left knee. He changed his swing to accommodate it but it eventually caught up with him. After he tore his ACL and played through a tibia stress fracture in 2008, he had to change his swing for a third time and even he couldn’t overcome it. So yeah…he fell off a cliff after he had major reconstructive surgery on his knee and subsequent swing change. What golfer wouldn’t fall off a cliff?

Reactions: oldjar07
He fell off a cliff because his body gave out. The Butch Harmon swing started to ruin his left knee. He changed his swing to accommodate it but it eventually caught up with him. After he tore his ACL and played through a tibia stress fracture in 2008, he had to change his swing for a third time and even he couldn’t overcome it. So yeah…he fell off a cliff after he had major reconstructive surgery on his knee and subsequent swing change. What golfer wouldn’t fall off a cliff?
Me.

My 95-105 ain’t changing until the day I day…or maybe stop drinking so much on the course.

Eh I dont know. It was fun to watch The Bear and he was lilly white.
Scheffler is great. Personally I enjoy watching Finau when he’s in contention. Some of the young guys are fun as well. Morikawa is not exactly white and he’s a good player. I don’t need fist pumping look at me behavior to enjoy watching skillful golfers.

Reactions: IowaHuskr
4 tied at -6 with 10 holes to play. Nobody cares about Tiger now.

4 tied at -6 with 10 holes to play. Nobody cares about Tiger now.
It’s golf. Even those of us on the edge of our seats have several minutes without meaningful action to think about and discuss other topics. You engaged in the topic at first and now you don’t want to talk about after your clear Tiger hate is exposed for not being objective.

• Haha
It’s golf. Even those of us on the edge of our seats have several minutes without meaningful action to think about and discuss other topics. You engaged in the topic at first and now you don’t want to talk about after your clear Tiger hate is exposed for not being objective.
I don’t hate Tiger. I just don’t really care about him anymore. He needs to just retire to his yacht. I was rooting for him to make the cut but other than that he’s not competitive anymore.

You should actually watch the Masters right now. It’s a great tournament that is going down to the last few holes with the leaders 20 shots better than where Tigre finished.

Reactions: PvilleHuskerTim
Among the oldsters I thought the best story was Olazábal making the cut at age 58. Always thought he was a class act.

Reactions: 90sman
I don’t hate Tiger. I just don’t really care about him anymore. He needs to just retire to his yacht. I was rooting for him to make the cut but other than that he’s not competitive anymore.

You should actually watch the Masters right now. It’s a great tournament that is going down to the last few holes with the leaders 20 shots better than where Tigre finished.
I watched the whole thing. Really wasn’t intriguing after they made the turn. Pretty bad golf from most of the guys today. All that Tiger woods coat tail money and LIV golf BS has made these guys forget what they’re out there to do. No one made a run at today. Or yesterday. Not seriously any way.

• Haha
I watched the whole thing. Really wasn’t intriguing after they made the turn. Pretty bad golf from most of the guys today. All that Tiger woods coat tail money and LIV golf BS has made these guys forget what they’re out there to do. No one made a run at today. Or yesterday. Not seriously any way.
Aberg has applied pressure all afternoon. One shot in the water by Scheffler and it could have been game on. What you watched today was unflappable greatness by Scheffler. I’m sorry you can’t appreciate apparently what you just watched.

Aberg has applied pressure all afternoon. One shot in the water by Scheffler and it could have been game on. What you watched today was unflappable greatness by Scheffler. I’m sorry you can’t appreciate apparently what you just watched.
Pressure? The whole field went backwards minus Aberg. Scheffler was spraying the ball everywhere the front 9 and no one could make a putt. The back 9 he hit the safe shot every time, aiming for the middle of the green and not even bringing water into play. Really boring 4th day. No one seriously made a run at him the last 9 holes.

• Haha
Scheffler and former Creightonite Mitch Ballock could be long-lost twins.
i

Pressure? The whole field went backwards minus Aberg. Scheffler was spraying the ball everywhere the front 9 and no one could make a putt. The back 9 he hit the safe shot every time, aiming for the middle of the green and not even bringing water into play. Really boring 4th day. No one seriously made a run at him the last 9 holes.
Historically in the Masters “runs” are made when the pressure gets to the leader and he pissesit down his leg. Scheffler was outstanding on the back nine. He’s a no nonsense, head down act like you’ve been there kind of guy. By all accounts he treats people around him well and is humble. Contrast that to the has been you still have a man crush on. 😉

Historically in the Masters “runs” are made when the pressure gets to the leader and he pissesit down his leg. Scheffler was outstanding on the back nine. He’s a no nonsense, head down act like you’ve been there kind of guy. By all accounts he treats people around him well and is humble. Contrast that to the has been you still have a man crush on. 😉
That’s great he’s a good person. He’s also a very good golfer. Currently, the best in the world. That doesn’t make it good theater. No one else showed up. Too many talented guys are content to collect their Tiger Woods and LIV checks rather than go all out to be at their best.

I’ll never understand why people care if pro athletes are good people much less why people like you hold Tiger to a double standard you dont apply to other athletes. But it is what it is. You just keep on hating. But I guarantee you every guy on tour is a big Tiger Woods fan every time they look at their taxable account. He made golf what it is today and that isn’t debatable

I tried it and I could really leave it. Not good.
Did the try to real stuff? I remember growing up and my Mom (in Omaha) would buy pimento cheese in some fancy glass jar and it was AWFUL.

Homemade pimento cheese and/or the stuff sold in stores like Piggly Wiggly, Publix (i.e stores in the south or se) are totally different. It also is a big cultural thing - I can't remember how many pimento cheese sandwiches (white bread, crusts cut, sliced diagonally) I made for church functions (esp funerals) when we lived in Aiken. And of course it's legendary at the Masters.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT