ADVERTISEMENT

OT- I bought a Marlin 336...

red rover 70

Nebraska Legend
Gold Member
Sep 11, 2011
and i love it.
Made the purchase last week. Took it apart and cleaned and oiled it. A couple of boxes of ammo later and I'm really happy with my decision.

I love lever actions!
The lines are absolutely classic. That rifle has put more meat on table than any other rifle. ( bet ol' Custer shit when he & his men heard those repeaters!!)

I've been looking at that rifle in pistol rounds 357 & .44 magnum, final decision will be the what pistol I settle on.

Great choice Red! Marlin will do you proud! Will you scope it?

Nah tarheel, I'm gonna keep it as is.
I have a question for you...
Would you use a rope to clean the barrel? Or should i stick with a rod?

I'd really love a lever action, I'd probably go for something in 357 if I ever do get one. Was considering one awhile back when I decided I wanted a rifle but ended up caving and going with an AR15. If I ever get a bigger safe, a lever action would probably be my next long gun purchase. I'm actually kind of considering getting rid of my 22 to make room for one, but the 22 is just so darn cheap to shoot.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Re: the bore snake vs a rod, the snake is good for cleaning after most shooting sessions. Every once in awhile though it's good to do a more detailed cleaning and use the rod.

Originally posted by BigBL87:
Re: the bore snake vs a rod, the snake is good for cleaning after most shooting sessions. Every once in awhile though it's good to do a more detailed cleaning and use the rod.
This Red!
i keep a travel jar of Hoppes & pour some on the snake & run her through several times. When I get home, out comes the rifle cleaning kit. ..& more Hoppes. I like cleaning firearms almost as much as shooting. As long as you're pushing that rod from the breech end, all is fine.

Bore snake is good for most cleaning to get the junk out of the barrel. Most people over clean guns and with today's powders it is not necessary. Too much cleaning is not necessarily good for a gun.

If you use a rod, do go down from the breech end. And most of all do not use aluminum or brass rods. Use the plastic/nylon coated rods by Dewey or Hoppe's. Going from the barrel end can ruin the barrel crown and affect accuracy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT