ADVERTISEMENT

OT Hurricane Milton

"It's really not arguable..." almost sold me. I mean I had been leaning a certain way, then I read that it isn't arguable on the internet no less, and what a game changer!!!

Way to double down with that fancy word at the end certain people use when they get caught sounding like a blowhard.
Do you want some hard facts or are you going to waste my time by calling them fake news! I mean if you have something that contradicts the consensus of 99% of the worlds science community. Go for it.

Nothing blowhard about it. Just because you disagree doesn't mean that the facts aren't the facts.

• Haha
Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
Super...keep riding your bike to Whole Foods and I will keep taking my truck to the sale barn...guess we will cancel each other out.
LOL I have a GMC truck too. I have a tahoe too. I own gas guzzlers and always will. It Doesn't mean that the facts aren't the facts.

99% of people don't agree on anything.
I stand corrected.

97% Consensus: Research published in peer-reviewed journals indicates that around 97% of actively publishing climate scientists agree that climate change is occurring and that human activities, particularly the emission of greenhouse gases, are the main drivers. This figure has been supported by studies such as one conducted by John Cook and colleagues in 2013, which analyzed thousands of peer-reviewed climate studies(
U.S. Department of Homeland Security
).
Overall, the consensus on human-caused climate change among scientists is robust, with the 97% figure commonly cited as representative of this agreement.

I stand corrected.

97% Consensus: Research published in peer-reviewed journals indicates that around 97% of actively publishing climate scientists agree that climate change is occurring and that human activities, particularly the emission of greenhouse gases, are the main drivers. This figure has been supported by studies such as one conducted by John Cook and colleagues in 2013, which analyzed thousands of peer-reviewed climate studies(
).
Overall, the consensus on human-caused climate change among scientists is robust, with the 97% figure commonly cited as representative of this agreement.
Trust the Science!

I stand corrected.

).

Good grief......

Ummm, of course the climate is changing. The only alternative is that it stays exactly the same. Pretty sure nothing stays exactly the same...except for my 4th ex-wife's stance on a threesome.

It doesn't mean something horrible is going to happen to the earth. Climate dorks LOVE to dork out.

• Haha
Reactions: Dr_Alan_Grant
What extreme intensity are you talking about?
Well lets see. These CAT 4 and 5 hurricanes that are striking the US. Prolonged drought in the west and in other regions of the world. Heavy rain events across the world.

The intensity and the frequency has increased.

I mean you do realize that hurricanes in Florida alone are much more extreme then in the past right?

The history of hurricane activity in Florida over the past 50 years shows a pattern of frequent and intense storms, with significant impacts on the state due to its geographic location. Here's a breakdown of notable trends and events:

1. 1970s–1980s: Moderate Hurricane Activity

• The 1970s and 1980s saw some notable storms, though this period was considered less active compared to later decades.
  • Hurricane David (1979): One of the most significant storms of the late '70s, David struck Florida with category 2 strength, causing flooding and damage along the eastern coast.
  • Hurricane Elena (1985): This storm looped in the Gulf of Mexico and caused major evacuations along Florida’s west coast.
  • Hurricane Andrew (1992): Though in the early '90s, this storm marked a major shift in Florida's hurricane history, causing unprecedented destruction as a category 5 storm.

2. 1990s: Increase in Major Hurricanes

• The 1990s saw increased hurricane activity with devastating impacts, especially starting with Hurricane Andrew (1992), which was one of the most catastrophic hurricanes to ever hit Florida. Andrew caused $26 billion in damage and led to significant changes in building codes and hurricane preparedness.
  • Hurricane Opal (1995): Struck the Florida Panhandle as a category 3, causing major damage and coastal erosion.
  • The latter half of the 1990s experienced a shift toward more frequent and severe hurricanes as part of the Atlantic hurricane cycle's increased activity phase.

3. 2000s: Historic Storm Seasons

• The 2000s brought some of the most active hurricane seasons in history, particularly in 2004 and 2005, which were devastating for Florida:
    • Hurricane Charley (2004): Hit southwest Florida as a category 4 storm, causing extensive damage.
    • Hurricane Frances and Jeanne (2004): Both made landfall on Florida’s east coast just weeks apart, bringing widespread flooding and damage.
    • Hurricane Ivan (2004): Made landfall near Pensacola, Florida, causing severe damage to the Florida Panhandle.
    • Hurricane Wilma (2005): Struck as a category 3 hurricane and became the most intense Atlantic hurricane on record (based on barometric pressure). It caused significant damage in South Florida.

4. 2010s: Continued Activity and Intense Hurricanes

• After a brief lull in major storms during the early 2010s, hurricane activity picked up again:
    • Hurricane Hermine (2016): The first hurricane to make landfall in Florida in 11 years, striking the Panhandle.
    • Hurricane Irma (2017): One of the most powerful Atlantic hurricanes ever recorded, it made landfall in the Florida Keys as a category 4 and affected nearly the entire state, causing widespread damage, power outages, and flooding.
    • Hurricane Michael (2018): Made landfall near Mexico Beach in the Florida Panhandle as a category 5 hurricane, becoming one of the strongest hurricanes to hit the U.S. mainland in terms of wind speed. It caused catastrophic damage, particularly in the Panhandle region.

5. 2020s: Increasing Frequency and Intensity

• The current decade has continued the trend of intense and frequent hurricanes:
    • Hurricane Ian (2022): A category 4 storm that struck southwest Florida, causing catastrophic flooding and wind damage. It became one of the costliest hurricanes in Florida’s history.
    • Hurricane Elsa (2021): Though a smaller storm, it still caused significant flooding and damage in parts of Florida.

Key Trends Over 50 Years:

• More frequent, intense storms: Since the late 1990s, the frequency of category 4 and 5 hurricanes has increased, aligning with global warming trends and warmer ocean temperatures.
  • Increased damage: With rapid population growth and urban development along Florida's coastlines, economic damage from hurricanes has risen significantly, even as building codes and disaster preparedness have improved.

Summary:​

Florida has experienced a significant increase in major hurricanes over the past five decades, particularly in the 2000s and 2010s, with a noticeable trend toward more powerful and destructive storms.

Must be a Florida thing where people aren't prepared and then complain about free handouts. Any time there is a storm at any of my friends or families house we handle that shit ourselves, with our own gas-powered chainsaws. We don't cry to government for handouts before the storm even hits.

I can have a Husqvarna 450 Rancher gas powered delivered from Amazon tomorrow. Lebanon. Lol.
How could you get it to Asheville, NC? Literally the roads are washed away? Do you see how that might not be a valid comparison?

Well lets see. These CAT 4 and 5 hurricanes that are striking the US. Prolonged drought in the west and in other regions of the world. Heavy rain events across the world.

I mean you do realize that hurricanes in Florida alone are much more extreme then in the past right?

The history of hurricane activity in Florida over the past 50 years shows a pattern of frequent and intense storms, with significant impacts on the state due to its geographic location. Here's a breakdown of notable trends and events:

• The 1970s and 1980s saw some notable storms, though this period was considered less active compared to later decades.
  • Hurricane David (1979): One of the most significant storms of the late '70s, David struck Florida with category 2 strength, causing flooding and damage along the eastern coast.
  • Hurricane Elena (1985): This storm looped in the Gulf of Mexico and caused major evacuations along Florida’s west coast.
  • Hurricane Andrew (1992): Though in the early '90s, this storm marked a major shift in Florida's hurricane history, causing unprecedented destruction as a category 5 storm.

• The 1990s saw increased hurricane activity with devastating impacts, especially starting with Hurricane Andrew (1992), which was one of the most catastrophic hurricanes to ever hit Florida. Andrew caused $26 billion in damage and led to significant changes in building codes and hurricane preparedness.
  • Hurricane Opal (1995): Struck the Florida Panhandle as a category 3, causing major damage and coastal erosion.
  • The latter half of the 1990s experienced a shift toward more frequent and severe hurricanes as part of the Atlantic hurricane cycle's increased activity phase.

• The 2000s brought some of the most active hurricane seasons in history, particularly in 2004 and 2005, which were devastating for Florida:
    • Hurricane Charley (2004): Hit southwest Florida as a category 4 storm, causing extensive damage.
    • Hurricane Frances and Jeanne (2004): Both made landfall on Florida’s east coast just weeks apart, bringing widespread flooding and damage.
    • Hurricane Ivan (2004): Made landfall near Pensacola, Florida, causing severe damage to the Florida Panhandle.
    • Hurricane Wilma (2005): Struck as a category 3 hurricane and became the most intense Atlantic hurricane on record (based on barometric pressure). It caused significant damage in South Florida.

• After a brief lull in major storms during the early 2010s, hurricane activity picked up again:
    • Hurricane Hermine (2016): The first hurricane to make landfall in Florida in 11 years, striking the Panhandle.
    • Hurricane Irma (2017): One of the most powerful Atlantic hurricanes ever recorded, it made landfall in the Florida Keys as a category 4 and affected nearly the entire state, causing widespread damage, power outages, and flooding.
    • Hurricane Michael (2018): Made landfall near Mexico Beach in the Florida Panhandle as a category 5 hurricane, becoming one of the strongest hurricanes to hit the U.S. mainland in terms of wind speed. It caused catastrophic damage, particularly in the Panhandle region.

• The current decade has continued the trend of intense and frequent hurricanes:
    • Hurricane Ian (2022): A category 4 storm that struck southwest Florida, causing catastrophic flooding and wind damage. It became one of the costliest hurricanes in Florida’s history.
    • Hurricane Elsa (2021): Though a smaller storm, it still caused significant flooding and damage in parts of Florida.

• More frequent, intense storms: Since the late 1990s, the frequency of category 4 and 5 hurricanes has increased, aligning with global warming trends and warmer ocean temperatures.
  • Increased damage: With rapid population growth and urban development along Florida's coastlines, economic damage from hurricanes has risen significantly, even as building codes and disaster preparedness have improved.

Florida has experienced a significant increase in major hurricanes over the past five decades, particularly in the 2000s and 2010s, with a noticeable trend toward more powerful and destructive storms.
ChatGPT!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: TampaBaySkers

Idk if you're open to changing your mind or not, but you're not even close to correct and the copy and paste job is laughably wrong.

Idk if you're open to changing your mind or not, but you're not even close to correct and the copy and paste job is laughably wrong.

You guys could get kicked in the nuts with the same boot and deny it if it didn't suit your POV. That's what laughable. How about this find peer reviewed articles and facts that deny what my copy and paste proved. You can copy and paste them too if you would like.

You guys crack me up. There's no way to even have a discussion because any facts no matter how they are sited are dismissed as fake news.

once again. If you have something that disproves what 97% of scientist believe. Please share.

Reactions: leodisflowers
You guys could get kicked in the nuts with the same boot and deny it if it didn't suit your POV. That's what laughable. How about this find peer reviewed articles and facts that deny what my copy and paste proved. You can copy and paste them too if you would like.

You guys crack me up. There's no way to even have a discussion because any facts no matter how they are sited are dismissed as fake news.
Pot meet kettle.

When will you be able to correctly interpret those facts?
What's to interpret?

More frequent, intense storms: Since the late 1990s, the frequency of category 4 and 5 hurricanes has increased, aligning with global warming trends and warmer ocean temperatures.

It's pretty clear.

Your copy and paste didn't prove anything except about your critical thinking abilities or lack there of.

Pot meet kettle.
Not really.

Im waiting on all of you to post your peer reviewed scientific documentation that what we are seeing is not really what we are seeing. That frequency and intensity hasn't increased and that these events across the world are perfectly normal.

Prove that 97% of the scientific community is wrong.

IMO you can argue the how we got here. But arguing that it isn't happening seems really mindboggling.

Your copy and paste didn't prove anything except about your critical thinking abilities or lack there of.
Oh ok. So pretty typical of you and others. "I disagree with you but instead of providing facts ill just say something shallow and meaningless." Good to see some things haven't changed.

Yep. Pretty easy to find facts. It even lists the sources.
Trust me, I know, I am a (pretty bad) teacher. Most of the sources it will list are bogus, totally made up sources, so you have to be careful with that, my students get busted that way all the time.

Good job taking out the #'s and *'s. So ****ing annoying! I use it all the time and that is the worst part!

• Haha
Trust me, I know, I am a (pretty bad) teacher. Most of the sources it will list are bogus, totally made up sources, so you have to be careful with that, my students get busted that way all the time.

Good job taking out the #'s and *'s. So ****ing annoying! I use it all the time and that is the worst part!
It depends on how you pose your question for search results. If you ask for peer reviewed findings or be specific in what you looking for it can be very accurate.

What's to interpret?

More frequent, intense storms: Since the late 1990s, the frequency of category 4 and 5 hurricanes has increased, aligning with global warming trends and warmer ocean temperatures.

It's pretty clear.
Florida has had 20-ish hurricanes in the last 50 years. So no, it's not increasing. And the most powerful hurricane to hit was 1935. So no they're not increasing in intensity.

And you really have to question the education and intellect of someone who would cherry pick a small timeframe of 50 years and try to pass that off as legit sample to draw a conclusion on the climate.

Reactions: dkbowley388
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT