ADVERTISEMENT

OT Hurricane Milton

TampaBaySkers

Athletic Director
Oct 30, 2010
Stay safe my fellow Floridians.

This bastard sucks ..

images

Live in Tampa and assuming it weakens and becomes a Cat 3 will be riding it out. Expect to lose power, but we do not live in a flood zone and live more inland in central Tampa away from the intercoastal.

Many people don’t realize that the actually area of hurricane force winds is rather small compared to the entire storm you see on the graphics. Most of it is tropical storm type weather, which while not fun, is not life threatening. Now if it changes and they predict it will stay a Cat 5 then would leave cause that has potential to cause massive devastation to your home if the eye wall happens to hit where you live.

Live in Tampa and assuming it weakens and becomes a Cat 3 will be riding it out. Expect to lose power, but we do not live in a flood zone and live more inland in central Tampa away from the intercoastal.

Many people don’t realize that the actually area of hurricane force winds is rather small compared to the entire storm you see on the graphics. Most of it is tropical storm type weather, which while not fun, is not life threatening. Now if it changes and they predict it will stay a Cat 5 then would leave cause that has potential to cause massive devastation to your home if the eye wall happens to hit where you live.
Exactly. I've told folks for years, unless getting hit by the eye, the winds aren't any worse than a severe thunderstorm here. Difference is the amount of rain you get and the fact that you can guarantee you'll be our of power because the lines will go down somewhere

Reactions: king_kong_
So, where do you usually go? Next state over?

When I lived in Florida I had 3 of them come right over us. The 1st one I stayed, because I’m from Nebraska and had never experienced such a thing. Bad idea, was out of power for 10 days and it was 90+ every day. Miserable… Next two I went to Atlanta cause I had a friend there. Probably didn’t need to go all the way to Atlanta, but I knew someone there. Actually worked out pretty well, it was like a little vacation.

Sounds like the surge is the issue, will storm likely downgrade by the time it hits, but the surge issue has already happened and is on its way.

I JUST got a refund for my beach house, literally 30 steps from the water in Indian Rocks just south of Clearwater. Was going over thanksgiving. Sad because my family has really come to love that stretch there. Was still holding out hope they would get the area back up and running by then and I could stay somewhere that didn't get hit as hard, but now it looks like that wont happen. Stay safe.

How many hurricanes is this this year? What is the typical amount in a given year? It just seems like every year, we hear about more and more of them. Killing my Insurance rates.

NM.

The average number of hurricanes per year varies by region, but here's some information about hurricanes in the Atlantic, central Pacific, and worldwide:

• Atlantic basin
    The average number of hurricanes per year in the Atlantic basin is around seven, with 14 named storms and three major hurricanes. The 2024 Atlantic hurricane season is expected to be above normal, with a 90% chance of this happening.

• Central Pacific
    The average number of tropical cyclones per year in the central Pacific is around four to five. The 2024 central Pacific hurricane season is expected to be below normal, with a forecast range of one to four tropical cyclones.

• Worldwide
    The average number of hurricanes per year worldwide from 1990 to 2022 was 47. In 2023, there were 45 hurricanes registered worldwide.

The number of hurricanes and the number that reach the United States has not shown a clear trend since 1878. However, cyclone intensity has increased noticeably over the past 30 years.

How many hurricanes is this this year? What is the typical amount in a given year? It just seems like every year, we hear about more and more of them. Killing my Insurance rates.

NM.

The average number of hurricanes per year varies by region, but here's some information about hurricanes in the Atlantic, central Pacific, and worldwide:

• Atlantic basin
    The average number of hurricanes per year in the Atlantic basin is around seven, with 14 named storms and three major hurricanes. The 2024 Atlantic hurricane season is expected to be above normal, with a 90% chance of this happening.

• Central Pacific
    The average number of tropical cyclones per year in the central Pacific is around four to five. The 2024 central Pacific hurricane season is expected to be below normal, with a forecast range of one to four tropical cyclones.

• Worldwide
    The average number of hurricanes per year worldwide from 1990 to 2022 was 47. In 2023, there were 45 hurricanes registered worldwide.
The number of hurricanes and the number that reach the United States has not shown a clear trend since 1878. However, cyclone intensity has increased noticeably over the past 30 years.
13 storms since M is the 13th letter. Not sure if all turned into hurricanes.

A common mistake people make is looking at dollar damage and declare storms are getting stronger.

Reactions: huskerfan66
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT