ADVERTISEMENT

OT Gravel/Rock roads

cavalot

Athletic Director
Oct 3, 2003
Question is anyone familiar with using Calcium chloride spray or Soy based spray to act as a dust suppressant on roads? Pros? Cons?

Thanks

We used mag chloride on construction projects but if it rains that crap gets all over your equipment. It works well though.
yeah I don't think mag is the way we will go. That will be the complaint if the cc does the same. Got to be better than ridiculous washboards and dust.

Question is anyone familiar with using Calcium chloride spray or Soy based spray to act as a dust suppressant on roads? Pros? Cons?

Thanks
Calcium is corrosive soy based oil isn’t. I think they used to use soy oil at husker harvest days before the poured cement for the streets and some county road departments used soy on some really heavily traveled gravel roads

Reactions: cavalot
Calcium is corrosive soy based oil isn’t. I think they used to use soy oil at husker harvest days before the poured cement for the streets and some county road departments used soy on some really heavily traveled gravel roads
The question is how corrosive? Sounds like if you regularly maintain and clean your vehicles its a non issue. Soy based is expensive and their is a short shelf life before it has to be reapplied.

The question is how corrosive? Sounds like if you regularly maintain and clean your vehicles its a non issue. Soy based is expensive and their is a short shelf life before it has to be reapplied.
if your doing a long distance why not just use water? Calcium is pretty corrosive I’d personally stay away from it, I hate it when the state puts it down on bridges and intersections before a winter storm I think it’s more corrosive than the salt they spread with trucks

if your doing a long distance why not just use water? Calcium is pretty corrosive I’d personally stay away from it, I hate it when the state puts it down on bridges and intersections before a winter storm I think it’s more corrosive than the salt they spread with trucks
Water doesn't last for more than a few hours at best.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT