ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Financial question

I just changed out four rotors and brakes on my SUV and saved at least $400 if I would have had a shop do it. The whole thing took me a couple hours. But I understand most people don't have the tools or desire to do their own car work. Many people don't have the skill or desire to buy stocks, bonds, track dividends, etc. For us we like to put money in balanced funds and forget about it. I converted a modest 401K to a 10-year deferred annuity 12 years ago after people on this very board told me I was ruining my life by doing so. While some of the annuity earnings were tied to the S&P, I'm sure I could have done better in the market over those 10 years (and did with two other 401Ks). And as Musky says, when we turned on the money the principal diminishes over time. But damn, it sure is nice that money hits the bank every 8th of the month and is inflation protected by the CPI up to 12% a year for the rest of both our lives. For us it has worked nicely as one income stream we don't have to manage or think about.
This is a great explanation. There are so many ways to fund an annuity that it is hard to keep up. But when you need a steady income stream in later years they make sense. Also, you can have several annuities that payout over different times so you can have a lot of money when you are the most active down to guaranteed money for life. Never put all of your money into one account or one annuity...

Oh, is it that he has a 'D' as the first letter of his political registration? I hate to say it but if you think he's a putz just because of the 'D', that's pretty stupid. His vice-chair is Charlie Munger who has an 'R' for his party. Do you think Charlie is a putz too? Charlie must not think Buffett is too much of a putz despite their opposite political affiliations. The people who propagate the whole "I'm a Republican or Democrat and everyone else is an idiot stuff" for any reason is ruining our country. It's the reason we are going to get the idiot, Biden, versus the embarrassment, Trump, again.

Wow....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT