ADVERTISEMENT

OT-Favorite NFL Team

RedMyMind

Assistant Head Coach
Aug 22, 2017
How did everyone go about finding/choosing their favorite NFL team?
Was it due to locality, playstyle, family, elite status?

The reason I ask is because here at work I often get asked what NFL team I like and I really don't have one that I follow even close to how I follow Nebraska.

I grew up overseas in the 90s and I like the Chiefs. I came back here and it fizzled out as everyone was a Chiefs fan and the allure kinda died.

Anyways, I was thinking about what team I would like to follow is some regards and I have no real reason to follow any NFL team. I follow the league and like to see what teams rise and fall, etc. For some reason I would really like to see the Miami Dolphins not be dog crap. Any their colors have that semi-retro vibe.

The Bengals with Zac and Joe and history of being garbo
The Bills with their history of heartache, like Nebraska and relative wandering in the wilderness.

Last edited:
Brett Favre. I'm a Chicago Sports fan outside of that because of my dad and even had a Jim McMahon and Walter Payton poster in my room, but once I saw Brett play for the Packers I was hooked and have been a fan ever since. Favre is another story, but still love the Pack!

32563a_lg.jpeg

I jokingly told my co-worker that choosing a team isn't without its risks. You make a lot of enemies overnight based on the team you choose. :)

Reactions: king_kong_
like the OP, Huskers have always been my passion...

for the NFL I followed the Seahawks most of my life simply because as a kid they were a part of the AFC West back in the day (yes, that dates me) and all my friends were Broncos/chiefs fans and so the Seahawks were the punching bag and would sneak in a win here and there... I was probly they only Seahawks fan in Nebraska during this time and My mother would have her friends in WA ship Seahawks gear in for gifts for me as there wasn't any gear available in stores at the time in Nebraska.

Was super excited when they finally got good and won the superbowl and then as fast as that success came the team started going super woke and I just lost my stomach for them...

I moved to North Texas in 2017 and now the Cowboys are who I route for... they're just everywhere, the stadium is fun, the passion reminds me of Nebraska and so I've all but made the switch... I still am happy to see the Seahawks win here/there but I'd much rather pull for the boys...

I will say that one of my top 5 favorite football experiences came in Seattle when I got to watch them beat the Steelers... that place is insane

Reactions: EmormousDouchebag
I dont have a team. I follow players i like, was big into GB with Favre, then went on to Pats with TB, now im all in with Cincy with JB.

Grew up in Omaha and have been a Chiefs fan for a very long time.

If you don’t like teams that are popular, allow me to introduce you to the Arizona Cardinals. I think you two might really hit it off.

Reactions: BleedRed78
I dont have a team. I follow players i like, was big into GB with Favre, then went on to Pats with TB, now im all in with Cincy with JB.
That definitely is a factor nowadays with how often many players are traded/sign during free agency.

like the OP, Huskers have always been my passion...

for the NFL I followed the Seahawks most of my life simply because as a kid they were a part of the AFC West back in the day (yes, that dates me) and all my friends were Broncos/chiefs fans and so the Seahawks were the punching bag and would sneak in a win here and there... I was probly they only Seahawks fan in Nebraska during this time and My mother would have her friends in WA ship Seahawks gear in for gifts for me as there wasn't any gear available in stores at the time in Nebraska.

Was super excited when they finally got good and won the superbowl and then as fast as that success came the team started going super woke and I just lost my stomach for them...

I moved to North Texas in 2017 and now the Cowboys are who I route for... they're just everywhere, the stadium is fun, the passion reminds me of Nebraska and so I've all but made the switch... I still am happy to see the Seahawks win here/there but I'd much rather pull for the boys...

I will say that one of my top 5 favorite football experiences came in Seattle when I got to watch them beat the Steelers... that place is insane
I liked watching the Cowboys during the Romo years. I have serious doubts that Dak will get them where they need to be.

The Cowboys are mocked when they fall flat on their face but in a way I would like the see the mockers have to eat crow as well.

Grew up in Omaha and have been a Chiefs fan for a very long time.

If you don’t like teams that are popular, allow me to introduce you to the Arizona Cardinals. I think you two might really hit it off.
I already have a red team. lol

Grew up loving the Niners due to Rathman and Craig being on the team....around the mid 90s, really took a liking to Terrell Davis and quickly joined the Broncos Bandwagon...have been a fan ever since (been a rough 6 years)

Da Bears Football GIF

I grew up a Vikings fan till they lost to the Falcons in 98 and had the “dirty bird” done to them. I’ve been a Bears fan since and was upset they fired Lovie Smith.

I was born in Chicago, raised/lived in Nebraska most of my life. I currently live in MN. 🤣

Da Bears Football GIF

I grew up a Vikings fan till they lost to the Falcons in 98 and had the “dirty bird” done to them. I’ve been a Bears fan since and was upset they fired Lovie Smith.

I was born in Chicago, raised/lived in Nebraska most of my life. I currently live in MN. 🤣
The 1 FG Anderson missed all year.

I was a fan of lions due to b. Sanders. I still watch them when on tv, but don’t care enough to buy nfl package.
whoa whoa whoa, no one is talking about NFL package. I want to know if a team is bed comforter worthy. ;)

49ers, Born in 81 they won the super bowl that season. But just fell in aww of Rice, Montana,Taylor, just kinda stuck, Grew up with my parents being Vikings fans.

Colts fan, As a youngster growing up I liked the Chiefs, Moved to Indy and started attending games and gradually was converted.
My two best friends are die hard Bears fans so I follow them as well. Colts are caught in suck mode and the Bears are trending up IMO.

Mostly cheer for certain teams with certain players, especially former huskers. Otherwise been a Chiefs fan since high school, and it's finally paid off lol

Grew up in Minnesota, started watching the Vikings around age 6. Always my first love, even though they just let me down.

Also a big fan of the Chiefs. They used to have summer camp at University of Wisconsin River Falls. my sister was an RA and helped out with their housing. I got to watch a few practices. They were pretty good under Marty Schottenheimer, but never great. Then I moved to KC in the mid 90s. I sold beer at arrowhead during the Joe Montana years. Then with the Andy Reid and Patrick Mahomes dynasty, my interest level went up even further.

Don't get as much into the NFL these days. Still follow it but not like I used to.

That said - Living in west/central PA and with my family there was only one real choice - the Steelers. Locality? Yes. Playstyle? Loved the tough defense. Family? You bet. They won the Super Bowl was I was 12 so that solidified things forever. I was already a big fan before that anyways.

Like a lot here, I was all about Nebraska football (still am). In the late 70’s, I kind of liked the Dolphins. When they drafted Andra Franklin in 1981, that sealed the deal for me. Still a fan.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT