ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Electric cars in a hurricane/flood situation

Totally get that. Some Tesla's are cool AF.

My FIL has a 2021 Vette, I was visiting him last year in Denver, he let me take it for a spin and a Tesla tried to pick a fight with me at a stoplight fairly far out of city limits, we could went with zero fear of cops....even I knew I woulda got killed. I know what ludricous mode means...it means I lose!!! ....so I declined..haha

I've seen videos of what the Cybertruck can do offroad in Moab and was floored. Had no idea.
Anything with Ludicrous mode is too rich for my blood. I have a model Y that I got an acceleration boost for (paid for with referral credits), and it is faster than I need to go. Vettes are great, but I am already putting out too much old white guy vibe.

• Haha
Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
Anything with Ludicrous mode is too rich for my blood. I have a model Y that I got an acceleration boost for (paid for with referral credits), and it is faster than I need to go. Vettes are great, but I am already putting out too much old white guy vibe.

...agree. In all honesty, if I wanted, it's possible I could inherit the thing, it would mean the world to him to have somebody in the fam get it, but that's just not my thang. Maybe if I had a 6 car garage, that would be my 6th car, maybe.

Reactions: Streamer15
I’ve owned 5 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland editions. LOVED them. 2 of them we kept to about 100k miles with zero problems. Never even had to do brakes on them. My wife finally insisted she want something different so I bought her a Lincoln Nautilus. It’s a nice commuter but I preferred the Jeeps.
I am not trying to pick on you, as I like most of your posts, but I feel like you live in bizzaro world where Teslas are roadside burning piles of metal and Jeeps run forever without issue. Full disclosure: I have a Jeep.

You can put an ICE fire out. EVs you just have to let burn and try to protect surrounding structures.
I’ll never forget the day I was downtown one afternoon on a Saturday my junior year of high school. I came across one of my sworn enemies from the rival high school with his beloved Camaro on fire. I gave him a concerned smile and kept walking (but mostly smiling) it’s been a really good memory for me

...what do you think of first when you see a bright red Vette driven by a 60+ y/o ??? I know what I think, Hahaha. Better for my image to stick with my 2006 Ridgeline!!! Way maniler!!!
Those new Corvettes are just sick, but I don’t think I would ever be able to own one because I would just feel ridiculous driving it. Look at me. We had this 70-year-old guy at work with a newer yellow Corvette convertible. Pretty sure everybody just pitied him. It did not have the intended effect. Hopefully he enjoyed the grandeur of his mind

If people want an electric car go for it, not my cup of tea. I look at several issues one is charging, people are always in a hurry but they’ll willing to wait 4 hours minimum to charge, how do you kill time at a charging station? The other thing is weather conditions, i understand everything you use draws down the battery like ac or windshield wipers. There was really good article about two women reporter decided to take a Tesla on a road trip. The conclusion was when it was over they were never so happy to pay $4.50 gas

If people want an electric car go for it, not my cup of tea. I look at several issues one is charging, people are always in a hurry but they’ll willing to wait 4 hours minimum to charge, how do you kill time at a charging station? The other thing is weather conditions, i understand everything you use draws down the battery like ac or windshield wipers. There was really good article about two women reporter decided to take a Tesla on a road trip. The conclusion was when it was over they were never so happy to pay $4.50 gas

And who doesn't want a 150mi leash when you use one to tow??? I don't get it.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I have 220mile trip each week. If I am taking off on a full charge, I charge once for about 20-25 minutes. The killers of your range on a given charge are cold temps and driving highway miles above 80. Never would I drive across the country, but I drove PHX to San Diego. Charging added about an hour to that trip. This all might be skewed as I don't use my wipers often.

I have 220mile trip each week. If I am taking off on a full charge, I charge once for about 20-25 minutes. The killers of your range on a given charge are cold temps and driving highway miles above 80. Never would I drive across the country, but I drove PHX to San Diego. Charging added about an hour to that trip. This all might be skewed as I don't use my wipers often.
How much of a charge do you get for 25 minutes? Remember the fastest way to ruin a battery is fast charging

How much of a charge do you get for 25 minutes? Remember the fastest way to ruin a battery is fast charging
It depends. The closer you are to "full" the slower it goes. I rarely ever charge to 100%. If I came to the fast charger at 5-10%, I estimate that I could be at 80% in that time. Also, the rate of charge depends on the quality of the super charger and how busy it is. In that charge time, I will do email, listen to podcasts, logged into Netflix once on the car, played video games on the car with my kids...its not too bad.

I haven't noticed any degradation to my battery range from fast charging once a week. The other charges at home are basically trickle charging. Repeated toping off of your battery will quickly decrease range. That, I know.

In no way am I trying to convince you the EVs have unlimited use cases or are good for everyone. My take is that there is a lot of FUD out there about them, possibly driven by politics and Elon hate.

If I could only have one car, it wouldn't be an EV.

Take your pick, there are many sites you can go to to get those percentages and most have handy little pie charts showing the breakdown.

Center for Science Education

EarthHow

There are many others you can look up. Two gases in the atmosphere in particular, water vapor and CO2, are very important. Without them the earth’s average surface temperature would be 0 degrees Fahrenheit. Earth emits infrared radiation and those two gases trap and absorb that energy, then release half of it into space and half back to earth, keeping earth’s average temperature at 59 degrees Fahrenheit.

Over its life Earth’s climate has cycled between glacial and interglacial. We are in an interglacial period, which is signified by rising temperatures and the melting of glaciers.

One of your sources seems to agree with the consensus... So thank you for the verification.

"Since 1900, carbon dioxide has increased mostly because of human activity. After extracting fossil fuels, humans burn fossil fuels.

In turn, gases like methane and carbon dioxide become air pollution in the atmosphere. In fact, carbon dioxide has nearly doubled since 1900."

It depends. The closer you are to "full" the slower it goes. I rarely ever charge to 100%. If I came to the fast charger at 5-10%, I estimate that I could be at 80% in that time. Also, the rate of charge depends on the quality of the super charger and how busy it is. In that charge time, I will do email, listen to podcasts, logged into Netflix once on the car, played video games on the car with my kids...its not too bad.

I haven't noticed any degradation to my battery range from fast charging once a week. The other charges at home are basically trickle charging. Repeated toping off of your battery will quickly decrease range. That, I know.

In no way am I trying to convince you the EVs have unlimited use cases or are good for everyone. My take is that there is a lot of FUD out there about them, possibly driven by politics and Elon hate.

Thanks so much bs out that a best way to find things out is asking, I’m not against alternative methods of traveling or sources of generating electricity, my issue is that it needs to be affordable and reliable. And I still say nuclear power is the best way to go to generate electricity, if it’s good enough for the Navy it should be good enough for everyone

Thanks so much bs out that a best way to find things out is asking, I’m not against alternative methods of traveling or sources of generating electricity, my issue is that it needs to be affordable and reliable. And I still say nuclear power is the best way to go to generate electricity, if it’s good enough for the Navy it should be good enough for everyone
I like the idea of nuclear energy but don't have much knowledge on the topic. The part that makes me cringe is that the sites would be soft (ish) targets for adversaries.

I like the idea of nuclear energy but don't have much knowledge on the topic. The part that makes me cringe is that the sites would be soft (ish) targets for adversaries.
Definitely research it because modern day nuclear is vastly different than what most people understand. It’s safe and the waste products are minimal.

How much does it cost you per kWh at a charging station, if you don’t mind me asking? My research says $0.50-0.60, and I found data that says if you drive 1000 miles an EV will need 250kWh of charging. Doing the math, that comes out to 4 miles per kWh. I even seen one site that said as low as 2-3 miles per kWh. But for these purposes I will go with 4, that breaks down to a cost of $0.125-0.15 a mile. I bought a RAM truck last December and because I pay through an app, I have receipts for every fill up since I bought the truck, looking back through those the average cost of a gallon breaks down to $2.88. My trip meter, which I reset every fill up, usually is right at about 18 miles a gallon. Now I can get 22-24 mpg on the highway, but I will use my in town mpg in this case. Using the average cost of gas and my average mpg, my cost per mile is $0.16. I hear supporters of EV’s say you make your money back on the savings, assuming a yearly average of 12,500 miles, that’s only a savings of $125-437.5. It would take a long time for a person to make up the extra they spent over a similar ICE vehicle.

It's great if you like really, really expensive power. The cost is not just based on the fuel but the crazy costs of abiding to the regulation of the plant.

One of your sources seems to agree with the consensus... So thank you for the verification.

"Since 1900, carbon dioxide has increased mostly because of human activity. After extracting fossil fuels, humans burn fossil fuels.

In turn, gases like methane and carbon dioxide become air pollution in the atmosphere. In fact, carbon dioxide has nearly doubled since 1900."

Yes, I was completely aware you would latch on to that. But without fear I attached it because they had the pie chart, the only truthful thing they posted on their site. As someone in a previous post pointed out researchers need funding to do their research and get paid a salary, unfortunately the entities that will fund it aren’t interested in finding out what the facts show they are looking for a desired outcome. So if you don’t tell them what they want to hear, then you lose your funding and your paycheck. If this is a serious concern for you, then you should look into the CO2 emissions of private and commercial jets, super yachts, and cruise ships. I can post the data for you, but you might not want to see it, because if vehicle emissions bother you those numbers will make you sick to your stomach.

How much does it cost you per kWh at a charging station, if you don’t mind me asking? My research says $0.50-0.60, and I found data that says if you drive 1000 miles an EV will need 250kWh of charging. Doing the math, that comes out to 4 miles per kWh. I even seen one site that said as low as 2-3 miles per kWh. But for these purposes I will go with 4, that breaks down to a cost of $0.125-0.15 a mile. I bought a RAM truck last December and because I pay through an app, I have receipts for every fill up since I bought the truck, looking back through those the average cost of a gallon breaks down to $2.88. My trip meter, which I reset every fill up, usually is right at about 18 miles a gallon. Now I can get 22-24 mpg on the highway, but I will use my in town mpg in this case. Using the average cost of gas and my average mpg, my cost per mile is $0.16. I hear supporters of EV’s say you make your money back on the savings, assuming a yearly average of 12,500 miles, that’s only a savings of $125-437.5. It would take a long time for a person to make up the extra they spent over a similar ICE vehicle.

that was a great read my man

Reactions: Husker Todd
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT