ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Electric cars in a hurricane/flood situation

Kinda like wind towers..... Nobody seems to realize how man hundreds of gallons of oil wind towers use to lubricate their turbines let alone building them, transporting them, erecting them and maintaining them. Yeah those power lines to those towers don't take any energy to manufacture and build either.....
They use a very small amount of oil compared to the electricity produced. I'm sure you'll write off solar with some red herring as well, but solar is growing the fastest any power source ever has. With solar, EV's, and electric heat pumps, we will build a future of clean energy abundance. And good old fashioned capitalism will be pushing these technologies ahead and their widespread diffusion into society more than anything.

Good EVs are sealed against water so they're no more vulnerable than gas powered cars. The biggest issue obviously is if you're without electricity to recharge them so you need to have them fully charge prior to storm.
How are "good EVs" sealed against water when they are air cooled inside of a car body?

They use a very small amount of oil compared to the electricity produced. I'm sure you'll write off solar with some red herring as well, but solar is growing the fastest any power source ever has. With solar, EV's, and electric heat pumps, we will build a future of clean energy abundance. And good old fashioned capitalism will be pushing these technologies ahead and their widespread diffusion into society more than anything.
Do some research on the resources required to produce fiberglass that is a large percentage of a wind tower structure and blades. If they are the future then why are they not up all over Chicago (The Windy City), and the other Great Lakes cities?
Oh, but they look so pretty in the farmland. Twenty wind towers on The Miracle Mile would be ugly, besides there would also be a security issue protecting them from non-existent crime in Metro areas.

...if people own/drive one because they think they are better on the environment I would suggest they are clueless on the amount of materials you have to rape the earth to make it, and maybe don't realize how long you have to drive one to even crack even on that issue. If you own one because they are faster than shit and a blast to drive, I get that. I personally think most people feel like they are saving the earth though.

Plus the upfront cost and adding a station in your garage is ridiculous..and cities cannot meet the demand...but like I said, go for it. Hell I'm sure what I drive wouldn't appeal to most people...18 y/o Honda Ridgeline with 130K on it..and I know its the ugliest car/truck/elcamino ever made.
You drive a Ridgeline, but think EV's are gay??!! :)

Do some research on the resources required to produce fiberglass that is a large percentage of a wind tower structure and blades. If they are the future then why are they not up all over Chicago (The Windy City), and the other Great Lakes cities?
Oh, but they look so pretty in the farmland. Twenty wind towers on The Miracle Mile would be ugly, besides there would also be a security issue protecting them from non-existent crime in Metro areas.
Not to mention all the birds they kill.

I bet Greta Thunberg would bang you.

I hope so. Kind of got a thing for pigtails.
Chris Hansen GIF

Right now, probably the lack of charging stations.

Then of course, this insane idea that we are going to run out of gas, probably the same time we switch to the metric system.
We aren't running out of oil for generations. Oil might get expensive, but the more expensive it gets the more money oil companies sink into new exploration, drilling, and technology.

Your odds of getting stranded in an EV in an emergency situation are much greater than with a gas powered vehicle. Just about every location has a gas station or somebody with a can of gas.

A group of out of state pheasant hunters rented an EV truck and drove out to central South Dakota….the truck went back to Sioux Falls on a flatbed. Do you think there’s charging stations in rural Georgia or Florida? When my son evacuated from Houston he had to take backroads through rural areas. Every little town had a gas station.
I bet that SD pheasant story changes with every state. How many guys do you know who are big time hunters that drive EV's? Can't you just plug an EV into a regular outlet but it takes longer? Quick search says you can for a Ford Lightning.

I bet that SD pheasant story changes with every state. How many guys do you know who are big time hunters that drive EV's? Can't you just plug an EV into a regular outlet but it takes longer? Quick search says you can for a Ford Lightning.
They were from the east coast.

Kinda like wind towers..... Nobody seems to realize how man hundreds of gallons of oil wind towers use to lubricate their turbines let alone building them, transporting them, erecting them and maintaining them. Yeah those power lines to those towers don't take any energy to manufacture and build

People who say EVs are better for the environment are uninformed tools.

• Haha
Reactions: BleedRed78
Yes, but you only get about 5mi of range per hour. The only way this story checks out is if the hunters are metal midgets.

Reactions: oldjar07
What I don't understand is all the negativity vs EV's.
It's been made into a political issue.

There are legit concerns about EVs. The main issue is range and charging options if you cannot charge at home. I plan on having at least one in our household, probably in the next year. Battery costs are coming down. A lot of those EVs out there have way too much power for a lot of drivers to handle.

Pretty simple really. People do not want to be forced to change what they are accustomed to. It's not that EV car/trucks are terrible. People just can't comprehend how that isn't government control if they are completely trying to take away the gas option. It is a freedom thing IMO
I'm gonna continue to sleep well at night. So oil companies want me to worry about my freedom. I'm not buying it.

Oil companies are making the same mistake horse and buggy companies and other failed businesses made years ago. They refuse to adapt. Oil companies should evolve into energy companies. What's wrong with partnering to produce solar batteries as well as pumping oil? Get out in front of the innovation.

I'm gonna continue to sleep well at night. So oil companies want me to worry about my freedom. I'm not buying it.

Oil companies are making the same mistake horse and buggy companies and other failed businesses made years ago. They refuse to adapt. Oil companies should evolve into energy companies. What's wrong with partnering to produce solar batteries as well as pumping oil? Get out in front of the innovation.
I was literally telling the person I was responding to why I believe people don't like Electric Vehicles. What you are saying may be true about Gas companies, but that is not why my 78 year old Aunt doesn't want to be forced to switch to one.

Yes I also believe big oil has a different reason of not wanting Electric Vehicles. Money talks... I get it! I also believe people want to have the option of continuing to still have a gas vehicle and not have our government tell us we can't. If you can't see that as one of the biggest reasons then I don't what to tell you. I know that is why my Aunt doesn't want to get one and big oil has nothing to do with her decision.

Reactions: Streamer15
They were from the east coast.
Again, do you know anyone who loves hunting enough to fly across the country, but drives an EV? Or who would drive an EV? Doesn't matter where they were from. Shocking I know because people love to stereotype, but there are super conservative people on both coasts and even in big cities. I'm not searching every car rental place in Sioux Falls but Hertz doesn't even have an EV truck when I searched.

Again, do you know anyone who loves hunting enough to fly across the country, but drives an EV? Or who would drive an EV? Doesn't matter where they were from. Shocking I know because people love to stereotype, but there are super conservative people on both coasts and even in big cities. I'm not searching every car rental place in Sioux Falls but Hertz doesn't even have an EV truck when I searched.
Dingle makes crap up all the time. He’s one of the biggest trolls on this board and it’s hilarious how many people never catch on.

Reactions: oldjar07
I was literally telling the person I was responding to why I believe people don't like Electric Vehicles. What you are saying may be true about Gas companies, but that is not why my 78 year old Aunt doesn't want to be forced to switch to one.

Yes I also believe big oil has a different reason of not wanting Electric Vehicles. Money talks... I get it! I also believe people want to have the option of continuing to still have a gas vehicle and not have our government tell us we can't. If you can't see that as one of the biggest reasons then I don't what to tell you. I know that is why my Aunt doesn't want to get one and big oil has nothing to do with her decision.
Sorry if I came off as critical of you personally. But the government is not actually telling anyone that they cannot buy a gas vehicle. Gas vehicles, oil, coal companies get massive subsidies. Huge. Oil production in the U.S. is the highest that it has ever been and is the best the world has ever seen. The #2, #3 and #4 countries combined barely beat U.S. oil production.

Your aunt, your kids, heck even your kids' grand kids... all of them will be able to buy a gas car if they want one.

• Love
Reactions: Huskers123456
Sorry if I came off as critical of you personally. But the government is not actually telling anyone that they cannot buy a gas vehicle. Gas vehicles, oil, coal companies get massive subsidies. Huge. Oil production in the U.S. is the highest that it has ever been and is the best the world has ever seen. The #2, #3 and #4 countries combined barely beat U.S. oil production.

Your aunt, your kids, heck even your kids' grand kids... all of them will be able to buy a gas car if they want one.
People get so worked up about this subject on both sides but the reality is oil isn't going anywhere. No matter how hard anyone tries. I just wish they would focus on real hybrid technology because that is where it's at. Not this nonsense where electric kicks in when coasting 40 mph or when stopped. An electric car supplemented by an engine that charges it when needed.

Reactions: Dean Pope
I'll start by saying, I'm as guilty as anybody else in this with a phone and electric mower. But I won't get an electric vehicle, after I saw this.

People get so worked up about this subject on both sides but the reality is oil isn't going anywhere.

May not go anywhere but when the highest office in the land tells you its their goal to put oil companies out of biz and the 3rd largest state bans the sale of ICE's and EPA rules mandate cars have to achieve a completely unrealistic MPG by a certain date....they are making them cost more than they need to and its easy to assume that is how they will achieve their unrealistic goal of trying to get everyone to switch to EV's...

Other side is we dont have an unlimited supply of dino juice so I get wanting to explore other options.

May not go anywhere but when the highest office in the land tells you its their goal to put oil companies out of biz and the 3rd largest state bans the sale of ICE's and EPA rules mandate cars have to achieve a completely unrealistic MPG by a certain date....they are making them cost more than they need to and its easy to assume that is how they will achieve their unrealistic goal of trying to get everyone to switch to EV's...

Other side is we dont have an unlimited supply of dino juice so I get wanting to explore other options.
Lol. America is drilling more then ever. You have to understand the entire scale of oil. One country doesn't run the market. One president can't run it. One company doesn't run it. Things change. One way or another policies will get reversed or scaled back. Keep in mind major drilling in the Bakken in ND has been going on for less than 20 years. Look how that has changed the oil market. New technologies and areas will be discovered.

yes i do. There's other places to rent vehicles than other Hertz in Sioux Falls. I know multiple people who lease their land for hunting out there and actually up until about 10 years ago owned a ranch in the area where I used to hunt deer.

Oil is NOT going anywhere, unless we want to return to the year 1750. It is an integral component in over 6000 products we rely on everyday. It is as essential as air, water and food. The people who think we will end oil are the same ones who think the sun orbits the Earth.

Reactions: Huskers123456
Lol. America is drilling more then ever. You have to understand the entire scale of oil. One country doesn't run the market. One president can't run it. One company doesn't run it. Things change. One way or another policies will get reversed or scaled back. Keep in mind major drilling in the Bakken in ND has been going on for less than 20 years. Look how that has changed the oil market. New technologies and areas will be discovered.

I could list several more very specific things the hihest office in the land has done to make it very clear on where they stand on this issue and what they want, but if you are going to act like none of them exist I dont see the point. So I'm just going to hope yer right and that there is nothing to worry about.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I could list several more very specific things the hihest office in the land has done to make it very clear on where they stand on this issue and what they want, but if you are going to act like none of them exist I dont see the point. So I'm just going to hope yer right and that there is nothing to worry about.
I suspect it’s a wink and nod to the green loons, but also a power play by the billionaires who want to wrestle the transportation market away from the ICE crowd. Trillions of dollars at stake, of course there will be a fight. It was a driving reason for Germany to invade Russia and Japan to go off the deep end leading up to ww2

It's been made into a political issue.

There are legit concerns about EVs. The main issue is range and charging options if you cannot charge at home. I plan on having at least one in our household, probably in the next year. Battery costs are coming down. A lot of those EVs out there have way too much power for a lot of drivers to handle.
Anytime the government starts using the public's tax dollars to try to influence public purchasing things go south. i have a brother-in-law who bought an EV truck. Unfortunately he drove it home to Cedar county. After spending the night with it plugged in to 110, his return trip to central Iowa literally took him all the next night. He's since figured out how to plan his trips better and he loves it for commuting, but he drives his SUVs now when he comes back.

The closest Tesla charging station now in central South Dakota is at a motel in Murdo SD. Charging times is a real problem for full EVs. My daughter has a RAV 4 hybrid and she loves it but she was living in CA when we bought it for her. Now she's in DC. I'm not sure the cost of the vehicle totally offsets the gas savings but it was no big deal for me. I wouldn't buy her an EV and she's glad now I wouldn't.

Last edited:
  • Haha
People who say EVs are better for the environment are uninformed tools.
Everything's relative. Relatively speaking, they are. But it's only by so much, when a truly environmental approach would probably require more green mass transit and less personal private transport. But that's not happening in America lol so I'm comparison, EVs are indeed better for the environment.

Great for it? No. Better? More than marginally if everyone switched.

Oil is NOT going anywhere, unless we want to return to the year 1750. It is an integral component in over 6000 products we rely on everyday. It is as essential as air, water and food. The people who think we will end oil are the same ones who think the sun orbits the Earth.
When a person hears things like this it gets people a little agree.

What I see is higher gas prices and those prices are going to force people to move to EV's because gas is not going to cheap anymore.

I am not ever going to say Oil is going to disappear, but things like this make people feel they are going to be forced if not for lack of options, but because they won't be able to afford it

Screenshot_20240928_083005_Chrome.jpg

Everything's relative. Relatively speaking, they are. But it's only by so much, when a truly environmental approach would probably require more green mass transit and less personal private transport. But that's not happening in America lol so I'm comparison, EVs are indeed better for the environment.

Great for it? No. Better? More than marginally if everyone switched.
We subsidize the hell out of airlines and that might be one of the worst things we do in this country for the environment. People wouldn't travel nearly as much if we let the free market determine how much was spent on airports and flights.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT