ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Deuel County Deputy Mike Hutchinson,

If I recall correctly, the guy who shot him never should have been out on bail in the first place. An idiot judge in eastern Colorado lowered the bail for a guy who tried to kill his dad with a hammer and then pointed a rifle at police officers.

But in fairness to the judge, he probably had an early afternoon tee time and needed to keep the docket moving.

Workers Comp will cover his medical costs associated with the injury on the job. He is probably receiving 66 2/3 of his pay for short term disability but I don't know for sure. Once he reaches MMI (Maximum Medical Improvement) they will determine his disability if any. I don't know Nebraska laws but there are pretty much set amounts for particular events - i.e. lose a finger and you get XX $$. There are some variables. The problem he has is that his wife is on his insurance apparently and the county is not under obligation to pay their health insurance so he/she are not covered for basic things that come up. He is certainly on FMLA which only guarantees his job back within limitations of course. It does not guarantee anything else.

Would seem that if they vote to give this to him, they set a precedence that set the table for all employees.

Under the Affordable Care Act, an employer is not obligated to offer insurance to an employee who is not working 30 or more hours a week, even under small group insurance laws. If the family lost insurance because of the hours, they would have a special enrollment period into an individual health insurance plan (which would have family coverage if they so chose). If they bought from the health insurance exchange, and depending upon income, they also may be eligible for a subsidy.

I'm guessing they would most definitely qualify for a subsidy. Him being on short term DI would most certainly do that I would think. It just really sucks that things like this have to happen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT