ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Dan's restaurant review: Lippy's BBQ

Dan Hoppen

Offensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Feb 16, 2012
As anyone who knows me or has been on the Scrolls for a bit of time knows, I'm a food fanatic, particularly when it comes to barbecue and burgers. I take great pleasure in scouring Lincoln (and to some extent Omaha) for the best joints around.

I had the pleasure of sharing a few meals with the great John Talman recently and he recommended that I try and turn my love of food into something bigger. He suggested that I tweet out information about my eating experiences and maybe even put a post on the board. He's far smarter than I am, so who am I to say no to that advice? A running review can be found in my Twitter account.

So today I trekked out to Malcolm (really only a 10-minute drive outside of Lincoln) to Lippy's BBQ, which I had gotten once before a few months ago. It's the definition of a hole in the wall - it doesn't look like much from the outside, but often that's where you find some of the best food.

And that's definitely the case here. I ordered a half rack of ribs with a side of cornbread. Good God almighty...

First off, the service was tremendous. While it takes a bit for the food to come, the people running the place are very friendly, and the man that I suspect was the owner gave myself and my friend each a free side of baked beans (with brisket).

The ribs are excellent, maybe the best I've had in Lincoln (Phat Jack's is probably still tops). They are served sauceless and like all great BBQ, that's how they're best enjoyed. The rub has a great sweet tang to it - you can just taste the caramelized brown sugar on the outside. And that smoke ring...

The portions were massive - my half rack included seven pretty good-sized wings for just around $12. These are not fall-of-the-bone ribs, which is a good thing. Rib meat should pull off, not fall. That being said, they were a little tougher than perfection, but that's picking nits at this point.

The cornbread was soft and very flavorful - no honey needed to be added to make it a perfect finish to the meal.

All in all I give Lippy's a 9 out of 10. The service was friendly and helpful, the portions massive, the prices very agreeable and, most importantly, the food was absolutely delicious. If you're a BBQ hound like myself, you've got to give Lippy's a try at least.

And so ends my long-winded review. Thanks for putting up with me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News