ADVERTISEMENT

OT - CORD CUTTING

Thank for the info. All of our TV's are smart, but it seems that I have to get a stick or box to get Hulu Live Tv. We get Hulu, but can't seem to figure out how to get the Live part.
If its an older Vizio, I don't think you can. I've tried it in the past, and it was nearly impossible. We got PS Vue. Use the PS3 (I'm too cheap to buy a 4), couple roku sticks, and google chromecast to cast via phone or tablet to a tv. Love it. Got all the sports channels I want/need. Bought an antenna for everything else.

Reactions: ZJSARENOTFREE
For us it was the fact that we watch like 15 channels with 10 of them being sports channels. My wife watches Bravo, E, and the local channels. For us Hulu live made sense because we got all of those and our total bill is going to go down by $100 bucks a month. Two days in, and we love it.
Yup. And its like the cable companies forgot how to compete with their user interface. Hulu, Netflix, Amazon etc are all blowing cable away because cable was asleep at the wheel for years while cashing our checks.

Reactions: ZJSARENOTFREE
Yup. And its like the cable companies forgot how to compete with their user interface. Hulu, Netflix, Amazon etc are all blowing cable away because cable was asleep at the wheel for years while cashing our checks.

They weren't asleep at the wheel, they were spending millions of dollars lobbying congress and local governments to keep their monopolies. They didn't want ala carte channel selections because they wanted to make sure they'd get that $6 a month from Grandma for ESPN even though she hasn't watched a single minute in 20 years, and they gotta get that extra few bucks from everyone else that never watched a minute of QVC. Pure greed.

Reactions: saluno22
They weren't asleep at the wheel, they were spending millions of dollars lobbying congress and local governments to keep their monopolies. They didn't want ala carte channel selections because they wanted to make sure they'd get that $6 a month from Grandma for ESPN even though she hasn't watched a single minute in 20 years, and they gotta get that extra few bucks from everyone else that never watched a minute of QVC. Pure greed.
I guess I should have said they lost focus of creating a great consumer experience and instead did everything possible to maintain status quo and keep cashing those checks.

Reactions: nudan92 and tpmcg
I wish they were allowed to offer a package minus the local stations, but they are required to carry them. $13 a month goes towards a rebroadcast fee for channels that I can receive free over the air.

As far as the original question, I have a Nvidia shield, but it does not have an approved app for Directv Now. If I were to go streaming I'd need to go to Sony Vue. Hulu Live really killed my home network for some reason. No other service caused any problems with it. Vue may or may not be around much longer. I can't get Youtube TV in Western Nebraska, I'd need to sign up for it in Eastern Nebraska to use it.

Silicone Dust just launched a streaming service too. It will use the Homerun devices to allow you to stream their channels and use your antenna for locals. Most of the services are operating at a loss because of the local channels, this will give them a big advantage in the long haul. They offer a DVR service too. The big issue right now is no Big Ten Network.

Reactions: saluno22
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT