ADVERTISEMENT

OT - C'mon, Man

The_Glove_Man

Senior
Jun 9, 2010
Madison, WI
So as a coach that has been on the winning end of ass kickings my rule is this (football) starters get the first series on offense/defense at the start of the second half. Then we sub sub sub and often times even have the starters take their helmet and shoulder pads off, which is probably a sign to the other team that we are done with our best players.

In this case at 56-0 at half...I would probably tell team that the backups are starting the second half and if the backups are good...we would not press.

Really in situations like this, I just want to get the game done and go home.

I used to coach a spirit basketball team that had a couple of future husker football players on it. We sometimes ended up completely out matching the other teams. Had a couple of games where I instructed the kids not to leave the lane and let other team shoot. There are ways to call off the dogs. No pressing. No fast breaks. No steals. There’s no reason to rub anyone’s face in the dirt at that level. If you get to college or pros, that’s a different story.

Having been a principal and AD, this should never have gotten this far. The AD should have already shared his/her school policy and standards on this. Then I question where admin was at half time.

I never had teams good enough to do something like this consistently but there were times our coaches knew when to back off. They also know what goes around, comes around.

Had a friend I hired as a HS FB coach and has recently moved on to NAIA. A couple years ago I attended a game of his and they were punishing a team bad and he backed way off the first half. At half time his AD let him have it about running up the score which he wasn't trying to do.

Pressing the whole game, shooting 3’s and the rest, nah. Showed your clearly better. Take the air out of the ball. Work the passes and motion offense, play packed zone. Work on future things against a future opponent you don’t do but need.
Wouldn’t it be better if they just practiced amongst themselves.. If the opponent was that bad what’s the point trying different situations..

Wouldn’t it be better if they just practiced amongst themselves.. If the opponent was that bad what’s the point trying different situations..
The point is if you’re in the a blowout game and you’re bad at a skill set, if you might need it later in the season, try it in a no lose situation where there is literally zero pressure and if you don’t show well, we have tape against others that we can show you to see where and how to get better. Just my 0.02.

I've heard of basketball coaches instructing their players not to raise their hands above their shoulders on defense. A packed in zone would have been nice as well, let the other team shoot from outside. Then walk the ball up the court, more than 5 passes, only layups, etc. There are things they could have worked on other than running up the score.

If I’m up 56-0 at half, I would strongly consider putting only 4 girls on the court vs. their 5 for the second half. But I would let my girls play. (Not the starters, they wouldn’t play the 2nd half)
If we continue to whip their a** 4 on 5 with our backup players, they have no reason to complain.

If I’m up 56-0 at half, I would strongly consider putting only 4 girls on the court vs. their 5 for the second half. But I would let my girls play. (Not the starters, they wouldn’t play the 2nd half)
If we continue to whip their a** 4 on 5 with our backup players, they have no reason to complain.
Playing with 4 is adding humiliation on top on embarrassment.

We can disagree on that one. I think it’s more humiliating for your opponent to stop trying. They could call the game at halftime. Which is what they probably should have done.

I watched a high school football game last fall that got out of hand and everyone agreed to call the game after the third quarter.

We can disagree on that one. I think it’s more humiliating for your opponent to stop trying. They could call the game at halftime. Which is what they probably should have done.

I watched a high school football game last fall that got out of hand and everyone agreed to call the game after the third quarter.
I coach girls soccer. When we have a five point lead on the opponent, I pull my shooters back into defense and send the defenders up as shooters. They have orders to use their non-dominant foot for shots on goal. That keeps the score down and still gets meaningful touches on the ball. There's ways of handling those situations that don't humiliate the other team.

Also, running the score up teaches a wrong lesson to young players. That's gotta count for something.

There ya go, every has to agree to call it in that case. If one coach doesn't then you keep playing.

So we are stomping you 56-0 so just to make it fair, we are going to play with 4, might be our best four, but four, sort of like I will fight you with one hand tied behind my back. So what if your 4 still are winning big, just go for 3?

In KS there are mercy rules, continuing clock, for at least FB. I don't know about this state. It used to be called sportsmanship.

I don't have a problem with the score so much as the fact that they were pressing for as long as they were, fast breaking all game, etc.. I think a suspension was excessive, a butt chewing by the AD or whoever the admin overseeing the coach was probably in line though.

Like others have said, there are ways of calling off the dogs without making it obvious and embarrassing the other team. I've been on both sides when that's happened. Many moons ago, I was in a basketball game where we were down 34-2 at half (I scored our 2 points of course, haha). Game ended up something like 56-28 in the end, but they didn't need to pull a player or basically stop playing to do it. I remember our coach when we got into the locker room at half just sat down and said, "I've got nothin'."

I don't have a problem with the score so much as the fact that they were pressing for as long as they were, fast breaking all game, etc.. I think a suspension was excessive, a butt chewing by the AD or whoever the admin overseeing the coach was probably in line though.

Like others have said, there are ways of calling off the dogs without making it obvious and embarrassing the other team. I've been on both sides when that's happened. Many moons ago, I was in a basketball game where we were down 34-2 at half (I scored our 2 points of course, haha). Game ended up something like 56-28 in the end, but they didn't need to pull a player or basically stop playing to do it. I remember our coach when we got into the locker room at half just sat down and said, "I've got nothin'."
First and only season of coaching girls hoops. We score first bucket and go into half down like 36-2. Told the girls keep working and overcome your terrible coach. (1/2 to get a smile and 1/2 to get them to focus on anything but their play for a minute, but I wasn’t a hoops guy). Made the game more respectable and lost by like 40-45 total. The difference, other team stopped pressing full court and played a zone. The ladies got more confidence as the season went on and we won a couple of games. That first game though was tough. Think that freshman B team only lost once or twice and beat several A teams in tournaments.

First and only season of coaching girls hoops. We score first bucket and go into half down like 36-2. Told the girls keep working and overcome your terrible coach. (1/2 to get a smile and 1/2 to get them to focus on anything but their play for a minute, but I wasn’t a hoops guy). Made the game more respectable and lost by like 40-45 total. The difference, other team stopped pressing full court and played a zone. The ladies got more confidence as the season went on and we won a couple of games. That first game though was tough. Think that freshman B team only lost once or twice and beat several A teams in tournaments.

Ya, ours was an odd game. They were definitely the better team but not THAT much better, just literally nothing was dropping for us and everything was for them. Just kind of a perfect storm. I was a backup post player so the fact that I had our only points (on a put-back, nonetheless) made it even more odd. We were a decent, though not great, team.

They didn't press basically after the first quaretreat and played mostly backups the 2nd half, which we appreciated. It was just such a weird game.

Reactions: baseball31ne
Wow, a lot of folks on here that are nicer than I am.

Maybe they should just stop keeping score at some point.

You can do something not against the rules and still have it be bad sportsmanship. No need to kick a team when they're already down. Coach and players didn't do anything illegal, but doesn't mean it wasn't a dick move.

Reactions: baseball31ne
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT