ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Chiropractors marketing

I'm just saying that it is also true that the things many chiropractors claim are complete B.S.,
Are you talking about the chiropractic community or just some (bad) individual chiropractors?

If you're talking about the chiropractic community, what bs claims are they making?

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Yup! Like I said, at its best it's about as good as massage at helping line things up and make you feel better temporarily.

Anecdotal evidence is nice, but the reason why I keep emphasizing the peer reviewed aspect is that is what truly matters. And as I said before, the only thing it even marginally has been proven to help is lower back pain. Everything else they claim has not been able to be conclusively proven, and much of it, on the contrary, has been shown to have no real empirical evidence of benefit.

Reactions: TheBeav815
Oh and it's totally true that when they crack your neck, they really have to know what they are doing. You can not only cause damage, but another uncommon but proven side effect is in doing the neck cracking, they can shear off part of your artery and it will enter your blood stream, then brain, then cause a stroke. I know a guy that that happened to, and asked my M.D. friends about it, and they were like "Yup. It's like a <1% chance, but it can happen."

No thanks.

Oh and it's totally true that when they crack your neck, they really have to know what they are doing. You can not only cause damage, but another uncommon but proven side effect is in doing the neck cracking, they can shear off part of your artery and it will enter your blood stream, then brain, then cause a stroke. I know a guy that that happened to, and asked my M.D. friends about it, and they were like "Yup. It's like a <1% chance, but it can happen."

No thanks.

Vertebral arteries runs through the cervical vertebrae. Chiropractic manipulation of the cervical spine can injury the artery and result in stroke.

There’s no good evidence that any chiropractic adjustment is beneficial. But if you think that it helps...go for it. In your lower back. Never let them adjust your neck.

Every time my wife goes to her's, he says that it'll take 20 weekly adjustments. I'll bet that if we investigated that we'd find that this number matches the max number allowed by our insurance.

The one period where I saw a chiropractor (a friend), the only thing I got out of it was soreness.

Funny, I guess the times I had Chiropractic work done, or the times my family had it done and came away with less pain in our lives, yeah all that is just anecdotal evidence. Or maybe we're just big time liars. Geez I'm glad I'm not dead right now from all this quackery.

Funny, I guess the times I had Chiropractic work done, or the times my family had it done and came away with less pain in our lives, yeah all that is just anecdotal evidence. Or maybe we're just big time liars. Geez I'm glad I'm not dead right now from all this quackery.

That is actually the definition of anecdotal evidence. However, it's really great that that stuff seems to have worked for you guys!

That is actually the definition of anecdotal evidence. However, it's really great that that stuff seems to have worked for you guys!

Oh yes it certainly is the definition, I guess when when youre trying to discredit something completely by saying its not been scientifically studied and OK'd by science VS hey its worked and done wonders for the health and everyday well being for me and many others, it really doesnt matter what science(lol) has to say. Science, its fun at parties!

Oh yes it certainly is the definition, I guess when when youre trying to discredit something completely by saying its not been scientifically studied and OK'd by science VS hey its worked and done wonders for the health and everyday well being for me and many others, it really doesnt matter what science(lol) has to say. Science, its fun at parties!

No no, I'm saying it has been peer reviewed and found to offer very little other than lower back pain relief. It certainly hasn't been proven to get rid of allergies, migraines, joint problems, and a bunch of their other claims, though as you are saying, there is some anecdotal evidence that some people get relief out of it. That's the whole thing though. Most treatments are not considered to be effective if, say, out of a pool of 100 people, it has scattershot positive effects on say, 20 of them, and 80 of them remain relatively unchanged.

And of those 20, if they all went for lower back pain relief but it turns out 15 experienced that, 3 experienced migraine relief, and 2 experienced better overall posture when sitting...do you understand what I'm saying? Or do you need to just eat a fat one?

No no, I'm saying it has been peer reviewed and found to offer very little other than lower back pain relief. It certainly hasn't been proven to get rid of allergies, migraines, joint problems, and a bunch of their other claims, though as you are saying, there is some anecdotal evidence that some people get relief out of it. That's the whole thing though. Most treatments are not considered to be effective if, say, out of a pool of 100 people, it has scattershot positive effects on say, 20 of them, and 80 of them remain relatively unchanged.

And of those 20, if they all went for lower back pain relief but it turns out 15 experienced that, 3 experienced migraine relief, and 2 experienced better overall posture when sitting...do you understand what I'm saying? Or do you need to just eat a fat one?

I’m perfectly calm..... calmer than you are

the acceptance rate at the foremost school of chiropractic is 100%, with no required prerequisite medical study.

it is also, not surprisingly, housed in Iowa.

• Haha
HA HA HA HA Laughing

also, to all those who say chiropractors practice holistically and offer an alternative to actual MDs who prescribe medicines:

chiropractors are not licensed to prescribe medicine. because, obviously, they have no business doing so.

again, an Iowan claimed to have been visited by a ghost during a seance and told to crack the spine of a deaf man to cure him. that is literally how this 'practice' began. the top school is still named for him.

it did not work then, it does not work now. and comparisons to actual medical professionals are insane.

LOL, God forbid anyone get any relief from it and maybe have a little less pain in their lives. Screw those people science says it doesnt work or something parroted from Google. Dont tell anyone or look out! Theyll be on you faster than you can ask if Tommy Armstrong threw another INT.

LOL, God forbid anyone get any relief from it and maybe have a little less pain in their lives. Screw those people science says it doesnt work or something parroted from Google. Dont tell anyone or look out! Theyll be on you faster than you can ask if Tommy Armstrong threw another INT.

not telling you not to go, and if you get relief, great.

I am telling you it's not medical care and should not be confused as such.

How do you respond thoughtfully to someone that thinks doctors prescribe drugs just because they are paid by pharma companies? It’s so conspiracy theory it’s not even worth trying to refute irrational thoughts

You must be a Dr. Dr's are killing people left and right by handing them drugs they dont need. Between the Dr and the insurance companies, big pharma is loving this shit.

You must be a Dr. Dr's are killing people left and right by handing them drugs they dont need. Between the Dr and the insurance companies, big pharma is loving this shit.

What you’re saying makes no sense. You have zero understanding of medicine, physicians and drug companies. More people are living longer due to modern drugs than ever before.

What drugs are physicians being paid to prescribe that kill people left and right that they don’t need? And clearly you’ve never heard of the sunshine act, Medicare tracking patient results and all the other metrics being used to track effectiveness of care by physicians. You’re so out of touch and clueless it’s laughable if it weren’t for the fact that the things you say could actually harm people who might believe it.

I'm not a fan of chiropractors and their methods although others swear by them. My wife started seeing one regarding a recent injury. She saw improvement and was feeling better. It may have been due to her trip to the chiropractor or due to other things she tried including rest from her normal workouts. What gets me upset is that a few weeks later, my wife received a "We've been missing you" e-mail asking her where she's been. Long story short, she's back there today and more money is headed their way.

What's the deal with chiropractors these days? Is the only thing they are shooting for is temporary progress and marketing for patient retention? Shouldn't the goal be to provide a permanent fix and leave the patient alone? Or am I off base on this? Please advise!

I have been going to Chiros since my early 20's and am now in my 50's. I have learned over this period that If the chiropractor tells you to come back only when you NEED to, he/she is probably a good one...the others with multiple extended treatment plans are just money grabbers.

I think it is a good business because a lot of people have problems with back pain or other body pain. I think right now dentists are making a lot of money in business medicine. I have recently found https://aurora-chiropractic.com/ , I have visited them because in past I had big back problems and it was really very difficult to to a active life. After 1 month I have started to feel better and I was able to practice sport without pain feelings anymore. In general medicine is very profitable.

I've been fortunate to find three great chiropractors over the past 30 years or so, who advised me to come in as needed and never tried to milk me or my insurance company for revenue. The first time I moved away, and the second time the chiropractor move away. The one I see now (somewhat infrequently) is great, and I hope she never retires.

In between I've tried a few who were awful, and only interested in turning me into an ATM. I moved on, quickly.

Last edited:
I sort of get the criticism of chiros, because some, not all, will overinflate what their treatments can do and many want you to be a regular, as in every week. If people are finding relief, more power to them. It's cheap enough.

There is some weird stuff going on. My friend takes his kid in to treat his 'ADHD'. WTF? I am not going down that rabbit hole. A lot of chiros promote A LOT of supplements of questionable validity. Hmm, no thanks.

I've had good ones and bad ones. My last one wasn't necessarily bad, but he put me through the same exact routine every week or two. I felt a little better when I left, but like others have said, I started to equate his work with that of a massage therapist, not really essential.

When I was in high school, my spine was out of alignment and I was in pain. He took X-rays and showed me the problem, and then went to work for a few weeks to get me re-aligned. It was money well spent. I was having pain in both knees. He sized up the problem right away and referred me to a podiatrist who fixed the bad insoles in my cleats.

Every NFL team has a chiro on staff and players love it. They definitely add value, but probably cannot cure cancer. <sarcasm>

Reactions: BleedRed78
You can bilk people for anything can't you? Chiro, herbal remedies, homeopathy. Literally all just selling people the placebo effect.

"Yeah but I feel better." Uh huh. So sayeth lots of the control group who got nothing but a sugar pill in every study ever. Nothing changed but your expectation.

I have a coworker who is an otherwise brilliant guy and great friend, but he swears up and down that Mercury in Retrograde is about the worst thing that can possibly happen. Anything goes wrong with anything, "See? Mercury Retrograde!"

He slams himself full of Emergen-C any time he has the sniffles coming on. Stuff is proven to do jack shit.

"A fool and his money are soon parted."

Reactions: HuskersNC
You can bilk people for anything can't you? Chiro, herbal remedies, homeopathy. Literally all just selling people the placebo effect.

"Yeah but I feel better." Uh huh. So sayeth lots of the control group who got nothing but a sugar pill in every study ever. Nothing changed but your expectation.

I have a coworker who is an otherwise brilliant guy and great friend, but he swears up and down that Mercury in Retrograde is about the worst thing that can possibly happen. Anything goes wrong with anything, "See? Mercury Retrograde!"

He slams himself full of Emergen-C any time he has the sniffles coming on. Stuff is proven to do jack shit.

"A fool and his money are soon parted."
WTF are you talking about? If you're in pain and when you leave, the pain is gone or greatly reduced, that is placebo? I had a doctor that gave me pain pills for back pain while talking sh** about the profession. I dropped the doctor, pitched the script and went to the chiro. I trust me.

Chiros work for muscle, joint, nerve issues. There's plenty of evidence for this. There is no evidence for them working for ADD, ADHD, or cancer, etc. If you find a good one, try to keep him/her. There are plenty of not so good ones.

Alright I have to ask, what does dehydration have to do with manipulation?
Muscles surrounding the affected area will respond better if you are hydrated. Getting those muscles to loosen up is what spares you a repeat visit.

I sort of get the criticism of chiros, because some, not all, will overinflate what their treatments can do and many want you to be a regular, as in every week. If people are finding relief, more power to them. It's cheap enough.

There is some weird stuff going on. My friend takes his kid in to treat his 'ADHD'. WTF? I am not going down that rabbit hole. A lot of chiros promote A LOT of supplements of questionable validity. Hmm, no thanks.

I've had good ones and bad ones. My last one wasn't necessarily bad, but he put me through the same exact routine every week or two. I felt a little better when I left, but like others have said, I started to equate his work with that of a massage therapist, not really essential.

When I was in high school, my spine was out of alignment and I was in pain. He took X-rays and showed me the problem, and then went to work for a few weeks to get me re-aligned. It was money well spent. I was having pain in both knees. He sized up the problem right away and referred me to a podiatrist who fixed the bad insoles in my cleats.

Every NFL team has a chiro on staff and players love it. They definitely add value, but probably cannot cure cancer. <sarcasm>
Muscles surrounding the affected area will respond better if you are hydrated. Getting those muscles to loosen up is what spares you a repeat visit.
a manipulation focuses on the facet of the joint to return normal physiological range and biomechanics. Surrounding muscles are typically hypertonic and not receiving the nutrients it requires. Studies indicate a temporary activation of the local stint muscles following manipulation. The temporary pain relief someone referred to earlier is a sudden release of endorphins following a manipulation.

I have no idea if chiropractors are legit but my god when I’ve gone to them and they crack my back and adjust my neck it’s friggin glorious

You see some weird shit on this board, but I can't think of anything quite as weird as a guy with TWO POSTS who revives a year plus old thread on chiros.... and his other post is a country style rib recipe! Welcome to the board!

SMDH

Reactions: Dean Pope and WHCSC
Alright I have to ask, what does dehydration have to do with manipulation?
I'm not a doctor, but I would guess that if you aren't hydrated then your soft tissue isn't lubricated enough to allow movement of the vertebrae.

There are two ways to think about design. One is as art, and the other is as a craft. Art includes everything from paintings to books to buildings to sculptures to software. The art is in the idea. Craft is how things are made. The vessel is in engineering. Many people think of art as design in software design, and many think of skill as programming. The craft of designing a website includes things like plan pages, wireframes, and prototypes. You can see on creative.onl different styles and designs.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT