ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Centurylink vs Cox

sklarbodds

Administrator
Nov 30, 2006
You may remember a while back I posted I was switching to CenturyLink after being a loyal Cox customer for almost 20 years.

First...asking about Cox

Second, updating after the install

Short version: Cox was charging me $78/mo for 50mbps and Centurylink offered $29.95 for 40mpbs for one year.

Well here's my final post. I've been using it for 3 weeks and it's been every bit as good as the first day. Consistent 40-50 mbps downloads. Hasn't dropped a tiny bit. Wifi strength seems really good. I'm sold. I run 3 TVs off internet TV (Chromecasts) and have multiple kids streaming things on Wifi.

Someone suggested that the price would jump after one year and that's true. It would go up to $75/mo after the first year. I called CL back (was transferred once, but I think that was my fault and the customer service was good) and they locked me in for a 2nd year at $38/mo so I'll average $34/mo for two years ($29.95 for the first year and $38 for the 2nd).

I am still so pissed that after all this time Cox wouldn't work with me. When I called to cancel they said they would offer a better rate to keep me but I said it was too late. I asked them to do that a month ago and they couldn't.

I bought my own modem and had to pay a setup fee, but I'll make that back up in about 2 months of savings easily (plus I had the super advanced version of the Cox modem/router I payed almost $200 for and I'm sure I can sell it for something).

Only one thing I'm not crazy about (not important to most) but if you're a computer nerd like me it's an inconvenience...they change the IP address once every couple of weeks. I connect to my computer at home remotely a lot and sometimes I need to reset my URL. Not the end of the world, just a nuisance.

It's unfortunate that Cox lost me. I would consider myself a very loyal customer. Maybe another time they can make it back.

Also....I bought a Fire TV. I'm going to try it with PS Vue over the next month and I'll give my feedback in a while.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News